Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

pagoda totem & plate flower accidents

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

yesterday 2 girlfriends brought their glass stuff over so I could show them how to make plate flowers and totems. We had so much fun! I don't know what I was thinking - I didn't take pictures. :I made a pagoda, inspired by a fellow junker who made one a few years ago out of metal - maybe Robert?

Here it is:

{{gwi:134770}}

{{gwi:134771}}

I think I'd like to put in ontop of a pot similar to how I have my concrete totem in the next pic so it will be more at eye level. Tho its going to live on the back porch until May or June.

{{gwi:134772}}

And finally: 3 of my plate flowers fell off their spoons. I believe I just attached these spoons with silicone. I've got to find Automotive goop. HD stopped carrying it. Fortunately they fell into snow and didn't break. This is looking at the back sides from my living room a few weeks ago.

{{gwi:134773}}

How is everyone's stuff holding up this winter?

Kathy

Comments (18)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kathy, I think your totem turned out wonderful. What a good idea to do a "Padgoda" one.

hugs, Karen

• chelcass
    13 years ago

I love your pagoda/totem. Just the right touch of color. Try NAPA or any auto store they should have what you need.

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Love the pagoda totem. Very pretty.

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

I also love your pagoda. It is lovely. - Marylee

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Looks like you had a fun day! I'd say your plate flowers faired pretty well during your Winter! Spring will be here soon! Nice work, crete! Jeanne S.

• puggranny
    13 years ago

I love your stuff the pagoda is really neat!!!!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

I love the pagoda. I've made a couple of them with ceramic plates, but never with glass. It's beautiful. Maybe I'll try one.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Very pretty! And you're right it was Robert Murray and he made is pagoda out of lamp parts. I bet yours will look gorgeous in the garden when the sun hits it!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

I haven't had any trouble with my flowers and totems holding together, but I use a pvc elbow on the back of my flowers. I've always wondered if silicone would hold metal.

Here's a pic of one of the totems I made. It isn't nearly as beautiful as your glass one.

{{gwi:134774}}

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura I love yours!
    I'm all over the map with my taste, I love the sparkle of glass, but the earthiness of pottery and concrete also have a huge appeal.
    I bounce back and forth between wanting to be subtle and gilding the lily. Luckily a garden is a forgiving place.
    Kathy

• rafor
    13 years ago

Love the totem! Glad the plate flowers had a soft place to land. Most of the snow around here is gone in just these few short weeks.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great job on your pagoda!! Love the combination of items you used! I bring my totems and plate flowers inside the gazebo for winter so they don't hold water so I can't tell you how they would do outside.

TFS~

• calicocat1967
    13 years ago

Image how sparkily it will be in the sun. Very pretty.

Kim

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very pretty pagoda and great ideas for some of my stuff I have here.

What is the "auto goop"? Is that the name I would look for?

I really need that. My plate flowers won't stay put with silicone and I don't want to drill holes in them so I need something stronger.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rock oak, the glass to glass should work with ge silicone ii for windows and doors (clear) unless it is old, or has been exposed to air for too long in the tube. It won't cure if it is too old.
    Some people use lexel and I might try that because it is actually more clear.
    Automotive goop is what I have found workd best on metal to glass. But I don't have any right now so I think I used the silicone on my spoons.
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy - I guess I just ask for "goop" at the auto parts place?

It's the spoon on the back that won't stay put because of the summer heat. Even in the shade that metal heats up and the plate falls off. I haven't had glass to glass issues probably because they heat up at the same rate.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Supposedly the automotive goop can with stand very high temperatures, as well as very low.

It is one of the products in the "goop" line: There is "household goop", "shoe goop", "plumbers goop" and "automotive goop" to name a few.

Kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Very pretty. They sure shine in the snow.