Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Martin house

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 18:35

hi
Made this 9 compartment house for under 10 bucks including the polel. .4 was for paint lol
gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Martin house

Wonderful! I need the directions for this. Is it a trash can? How did you make the floors/dividers between bird homes? Does the pole go all the way thru?

o

Awesome! Yes, instructions would be nice, if you are willing to share! :)

o

Hi
the main body ia a vinyl trash can,roof is a plastic drip catcher .supports are 1x4 redwood cut into the tapered shape. Pole consists of a 1'steel pipe cemented into a 18 inch concrete block ,visible pipe is standard 1 1/4 PVC pipe
secured to the steel with scews
Floors and dividers were made of vinyl wallboard
Pipe doesn't not pass through house is held via the supports screwed into the can / PVC pole Floors are held via a 1/2 PVC pipe with endcap screwed into can this passes through roof via holes roof is helld to can via screws This allows the interiosr to be removed for cleaning The perches slide out for removal of roof and floors i jointed the support pole so it can be removed during storms and cleaning, standrd PVC joint The only tough part was getting the measurements for the interior of the can due to the sloping sides as well as working with thirds for the walls lol . My math and carpentry skills are rusty to say the least
If I were to do it again I'd choose a rectangle ,square ,anything but a flared cylinder lol
I suspect it will not attract martins ,being too close to the house and too close to the ground since it's only 10 feet total. but for 10 bucks it's a "sculpture ?? lol gary

o

Thanks for the instruction! A lot of time and thought went into this!
I don't think I would get martins in my location either.
I am too close to a US hiway. I could put one out on my wooded property, and every mosquito that would be eaten there would help!

o

Looks really great! What a great use for a trashcan!

o

Fabulous!
Kathy

o

Quite original! & TFSharing the instructions! Jeanne S.

o

Hi
My original idea was a Gothic dove cote but was too small. Greatest inspiration came from pricing "real' martin houses !! lol
nonacook It is possible to get the martins to stay and breed in florida but requires a lot of thought . There is a
16 compartment one not far from me that has a colony on it's 5th year!!.
have been trying for several years to get Painted finches
to stay but so far they're like in- laws. They come for the winter ,eat the food and move on when spring comes lol
gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here