Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Green Glass Totem Birdfeeder

jeannespines
15 years ago

My first attempt at totems! The first time a couple wks ago, the Silicone II didn't work...was too old, I guess...so tried again with a new tube. I am pleased with the results...

2 green glass vases from TS...$2.00

Old heavy green "swirly" ashtry ...from younger foolish yrs

Green bowl from GW... 75 cents

Butterfly Pin from GW ... 75 cents

Glass bluebird (finally found one yesterday!...new $3.79

Silicone II Clear $5 ...third project with this same tube

Equals: 22" tall, 10" dia. Totem Birdfeeder for my flower garden: priceless!

href="http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff220/jeannespines/?action=view¤t=TotemBirdFdrFull309.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:135142}}

Top view:

{{gwi:135144}}

I have alot of admiration for you GJers who mosaic and do glass projects! Thanks for sharing your ideas! Jeanne S.

Comments (26)

• Barbara Kelly
    15 years ago

That is beautiful! I love it, the butterfly just charms the heck out of the whole thing.. how cute.. now, where did I leave that ashtray?
    Yes, old GEII is no good, I have a semi-finished totem that will not harden, so I have to take it apart and wipe off all that goo.. yuck.. I never knew it had a shelf life, boy, what a mess.
    I bet filled with birdseed they flock to that pretty feeder!!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

I love green!!!!!! You did a gorgeous piece!! The garden bling accents are so adorable. Susie

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Jeanne, that is really wonderful!!!! I love the simplicity of it. It's quite striking! The top isn't too deep for the birds either. It's perfect for a birdie bath! Love the contrast of the butterfly and bird! My favorite blue too! chuckle

One question though. Could it be slightly top-heavy? I would hate to see it tip over...it's so pretty. If it is slightly top-heavy, you could silicone a large plate, or better still...a microwave tray...to the bottom for a more stable base. I do it with all of my totems, and then bury the bottom plate in the mulch or dirt, so you can't see it.

~Sandy~

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

that is beautiful....butterfly and blue bird just make the green stand out wonderfully.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Lovely job! I agree that the blue bird and the blue in the butterfly really set off the green. What a great repurpose of an old ashtray! I'm sure the birds will just love it and if yours don't just send it here to Wisconsin, I'm sure ours will!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Wha t a beautiful piece. Love it.

• User
    15 years ago

Very nice, good use of materials. I like the swirling effect of the vases, gives the piece a sense of movement.
    It would make a cute bird bath too, it's just the right depth for the little ones.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Love the blue and green together. And the twin vases give it a polished look to me.
    kathy

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Green and blue combos have been favorites of mine since I was a kid. Love it love it love it, Jeanne! Great job of putting the right pieces together too. That old green ashtray works perfectly in the top, love the butterfly and bluebird! And it looks sturdy, I like that a lot. Now I bet the "totem bug" has bitten you! I was just wondering what a totem bug actually looks like lol .... :-) ~tenderlee

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is great...Love it!!!

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

This is beautiful!! I love green. I have a box full of green glass waiting for a project. (and a box of blue..and a box of amber..and a box of purple)

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

That is so beautiful !!! I love the colors ! I bet you'll go broke buying bird seed for that feeder .... I have a feeling it's going to be a popular place for the birdies !

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Great combination of pieces! You are going to enjoy this so much and so will all the birdies. Luvs

• jitterbug4756
    15 years ago

Lovely... love the combo and who knew... well you did... an ashtray would make a perfect topper for a feeder/birdbath.. love it. Am blown away at what you girls create !!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

WOW, Jeanne! I agree with everything everyone else has said. You sure this is your first one? LOL
    That butterfly is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how two little pieces like it and the blue bird can just make all that green pop and sparkle even more? I love your totem.

{{gwi:77274}}

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Great job Jeanne! Who would guess it's your first totem! I love the green and your bird and butterfly decorations!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, all for your gracious comments...soon I will be able to put it out in my gardens!

capecdr...thanks for your advice on stabilizing it for the garden (that is one heavy ashtray!)...I had a microwave plate in my G-shed...so I siliconed it on today.

Spring has sprung & soon we'll be back in the dirt! Jeanne S.

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

I really like this and can see one in my yard.I'll be making a similiar one as soon as yard sale season starts here.Our thrift stores prices have really gone up and I refuse to pay what they want.I'll be looking in friends garages too...lol.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

• mayblooms
    15 years ago

That is *adorable*! I love it! Where did you end up finding the little blue bird? It's so cute!

• garianntx
    15 years ago

It is great...love the green color!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

This is terrific. Love the scale of your pieces all put together. The little blue bird really makes the green pop.
    Vickie

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! I just scored a BLUE glass ashtray like your green one and am coveting it for just the right pc og garden art!!! I didn't even think of a bird feeder!!! I was thinking of vertical so you can see the swirls!!! Like my star tower!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:135140}}

• realtorrose
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Do you have any trouble with squirrels tipping it over...I have several squirrels that are always attacking my birdfeeders.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for your gracious comments...

calamity...that is so COOL that you have a blue ashtray like this one...they are so unique!

mayblooms...I found the little bird in a "hardware type" store in the small town of Greene. Love lookin' in small town stores like that one...always can find something different! And I am now on the look-out for more glass birds.

realtorrose...don't know yet if the squirrels will tip it...we're still getting cold weather and some snow...so it's not out yet...but it's pretty heavy and I did add the microwave plate as recommended by capecdr above.

A fun project...hope you all have fun trying one too! Jeanne S.

• mrsdutchy
    15 years ago

How absolutely fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing!!

• obxgirl
    15 years ago

love it!