Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

I want to make this wine bottle planter

kudzukween
17 years ago

I got this catalog the other day,and this planter caught my eye. I'd like to make one,even though it's only $9.99(LOL I should go ahead and buy the thing). My sister brought me some wine back from CA,and I saved the bottles,and I have some old pieces of siding from the shed we had when I was a little girl. The thing I want to know is where to get a bottle cutter,and how to cut it,and make this for myself.

the site is www.collectionsetc.com and nothing is over 20 dollars

Here is a link that might be useful: wine bottle planter

Comments (8)

• lyndalu
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I saw that and liked it, also! Very cute. Love that catalog. Don't know about the bottle cutter, But will be anxious to see your variation of this. Fun project!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

That is really cute. Sounds like you have all the materials for one. Hope someone can help you with info about bottle cutters. Luvs

• shrty411
    17 years ago

I had saved this

Here is a link that might be useful: bottle cutting

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

WOW --- that's some good info ! That's going in my SAVE file. I only cut a bottle a couple times ( With the purchased bottle cutter kit - worked awful. Maybe they improved it since then )

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

Oh, I like that! I've never cut a bottle before either..I've saved the pictue for future reference. Thanks for sharing...and I look forward to seeing what you come up.

• grvtykllr
    17 years ago

I know a few ways to cut a bottle on the cheap and easy, with mixed results...
    All of them require a heat source.

take a glass cutter and score a line around the bottle.
    take some cotton string, kite string works good if I remember right. soak it in some alcohol. tie it tight around the bottle right next to the score you made.
    Lay the bottle on its side, propped up so that it has room to burn. Light the string on fire and let it burn out. Dunk te bottle into cold water and it SHOULD crack along the score.

head to a hardware store and buy a roll of masons string.
    wrap a layer or 2 of scotch tape around the bottle where you want it cut. tie one end of the string to a door knob or a nail or something to keep it stable. tie the other end to another stationary object keep a dip of a few inches in the middle of the string, do not make it too tight.
    wrap the string around the bottle, over the tape, where you want it cut. going slow at first slide the bottle back and forth to wear a path through the tape and act as a guide to keep the string in the right place. begin moving faster and faster and pulling up slightly on the bottle. as sson as the string melts in two or breaks, stick the bottle in an ice cold bath, it should break right along the line traced in the masons string wear mark.

with some long THIN wire and a car battery you can cut a bottle.
    The wire needs to be thin enough to glow red when its made a direct short. wrap it a single time around the bottle where you want it cut. do not let the wire touch itself where it comes full circle. if it touches itself thats the end of the short and it wont work.
    keep it as close as possible with out actually touching. use a heavy glove like a welders glove to tension the wire pu pulling the bottle. Have another person make the connections to the battery. One end of the wire to each terminal.
    The wire will glow red in a matter of seconds and heat the bottle along its path. Most times the wire will burn in half because of the direct short. Immediatly dunk the bottle upto the score mark in cold water.
    I can see an idea in my head for a votage controller, a battery and a spring to keep the wire tight that would allow you to make a bottle cutter with the wire method. Off the top of my head Id think it would run close to 100 dollars though and not be worth it if you were not going to be cutting very many bottles.

With all methods use some common sense. heavy leather gloves, a face shield or goggles, long sleeves. basic safe practices.
    Also while they will all cut a bottle, they will also leave some sharp edgeds, and maybe a lip. You should use some wet sandpaper to take care of this problem.
    I would attached some metal sand paper to a board, face up, wet it down and move the bottle back and forth across the sand paper to finish off the edges and smooth it out and make it safe to handle with out cutting yourself.

When I was a kid we used to cut bottles with a wire hanger and a camp fire. I dont recall exactly how we did it?
    Im sure we were not the originators of this idea and someone will have a more complete memory of it. I know we wrapped the bottle in the hanger, twisted it tight with some pliers nad if I recall correctly, let it sit in the fire long enough to heat up the hanger to red hot.
    After that Im not sure how we made it cut through and got the bottle half back out of the fire?
    too long ago but any excuse is a good excuse to go camping as summer moves upon us. Maybe Ill play with cutting bottles agin over camping trips into the mountains this summer, see if I can gain some old knowledge from ym child hood again.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Too funny!!!! I ordered that for my diningroom last week!
    It goes great with my wine themed decor. I thought about making one too... but couldn't do it for less than that price. I'll just need to paint the green out.
    Can't wait to see how yours comes out.....you are so handy!

Hazie

• mctc
    14 years ago

"1.
    take a glass cutter and score a line around the bottle.
    take some cotton string, kite string works good if I remember right. soak it in some alcohol. tie it tight around the bottle right next to the score you made.
    Lay the bottle on its side, propped up so that it has room to burn. Light the string on fire and let it burn out. Dunk te bottle into cold water and it SHOULD crack along the score. "

It works fine to do this without using the glass cutter first. Here is a video of me doing it. I would say that it does not make the cleanest cut but it would be good enough for this project. I might just have to make one of these. Maybe using a wine rack from a garage sale would be a good thing to start with?

It might also work to just drill a small hole in the bottom of the bottle?

If you get into cutting wine bottles there are all kinds of other cool things you can do with them. I like to make hydroponic set ups with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY cutting a wine bottle with acetone and string.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County