Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

need an arbor!

Ann
15 years ago

Hello,

I need a sturdy, heavy duty arbor to grow vines. I love junk, but the arbor will be at the edge of my property near my rich neighbors' driveway, and I don't want them to be horrified. (not sure why I care, but I do...) I am on a major budget, or I'd just buy something vintage-y or junk-y, but I really should attempt to get one together using junk.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

Ann

Comments (20)

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

I have used a metal bed frame that has the fabric on bottom, like in a trundle. took off fabric and springs and used the holes to string garden wire. Worked great.

• jackierooke
    15 years ago

A hog panel is only about $11, bend it around and it makes a great Arbor.

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hog panel?? Do you have a pic? Not sure where I'd get one, but THAT IS MY PRICE RANGE!! : )

Thanks,

Ann

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

You could could get a piece of lattice (classic, cottage, non offensive to neighbors).

Baby bed springs could be painted green with spray paint.

Old small wooden gate would be charming. Could be built from a wooden pallet (free everywhere). Crackle paint it. Add some cool rusty plant hangers or hooks so vine can climb up. Put a grapevine wreath at the top middle.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Tractor Supply carries Hog Panels or maybe a feed store or Craigs List under FARM.

• jackierooke
    15 years ago

Found some on this page.

Here is a link that might be useful: hog panel arbor pics

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

that is FABULOUS!! I can't find one on Craigslist, but I'l check the local farm supply store. That would 100% thrill me. Thanks everyone!!

Ann

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

found hog panels! These are perfect---I needed something extra sturdy to grow hardy kiwis! I'm so excited!
    Thanks,
    Ann

• Barbara Kelly
    15 years ago

Thats a wonderful arbor! As soon as my truck gets here, I'm off to Tractor Supply!

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Hi Ann,
    This is my Arbor. It was made with free hog panles
    & metal T posts. The center of the arch is 8' high.
    The width is 5 feet across.

{{gwi:135572}}

I want to replace those T-posts with 4x4" by 8' square
    posts. They are expensive. So am waiting. I have
    three of these arches entering my veggie garden.

Mary

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Sorry, I knew I had a few more pictures.
    These are the other 2 arbors that are the entry
    to my veggie garden.

One faces South, East & West.

I am still in need of fencing on the south side of
    the garden.

{{gwi:135573}}

{{gwi:135574}}

Please excuse the garage, it needs a paint job.

Mary

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Ann, I only wish I had an arbor down in my yard! So I don't have any advice that would help.

Mary, you've got some great ones there, love them! I would love a strong arbor built on 4x4s or 6x6s myself. Money would make them happen real fast, but unfortunately that ain't gonna happen for now, maybe later though. If I want something bad enough, usually it happens, maybe because I'm willing to wait too :-) When there isn't a lot of extra money, what choice is there LOL.

Good to see y'all ~tenderlee

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

I like using our bent cattle or hog panels as arbors. I have one between two wisteria bushes that works great.
    {{gwi:135575}}

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Tenderlee,
    I know what you mean about waiting. I think I will be
    waiting longer for my dream posts! lol

Kathyjb,

I love your wisteria arbor and the birdbath beneath.
    That looks so serene.

Mary

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi!

I found hog panels at the local farm supply store, but I don't have a truck. I was going to have them deliver 2 (even though I only really have plans for 1) but after seeing Kathy & Mary's photos, I think I need at least 3! They look BEAUTIFUL!

Mary, are the t-posts used to anchor the panels? I can't see how you did it! I have some rebar, and I was thinking I could hammer that into the ground and wire it to the panel. What do you think?

I'm SO excited!!!

Ann

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Ann,
    Yep They are short posts, I think 5ft. T-posts are
    cheap, but ugly. Which is why I want wood posts....someday.

You will need a post driver. Maybe you can borrow one.
    The rebar may work fine. These are heavy panels and need
    2 people to hold in place & secure.
    My son and I used 4 posts for each arbor.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:135566}}

• dkline_2008
    15 years ago

I want to make an arbor like that too!! I saw some thing like that at my friend's house last week and it was awesome. Here's one we put together for $10 last year. We got the wrought iron support posts at an auction for $10. Came home and hubby drilled holes in them and added the bars at the top.
    {{gwi:135577}}

Deb

• jackierooke
    15 years ago

I think when we put our hog panel arbor up we dug a shallow trench a few inches deep. Put one end down and I stood on it while my husband walked and pushed the other end down into the trench for the other side. Its pretty darn sturdy that's for sure. He had a hissy when I said I wanted one then, next thing I know he took it for his cukes and now I don't have one for my clematis! go figure.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

LOVE all these arbors! The hog panels are great! But how in the world do you anchor them, jackietrooke, unless you use t-posts like friesfan. How did you anchor them, kathyjb?

DKline, your arbor is AWESOME! What a find & great idea to make it work into an arbor! Lovely place. Jeanne S.

And, jackierook, did your DH's cukes really do good on it? My DH cut a hog panel down in length (ran horizontally like a fence) for me for my cukes last yr...but they just grew "through it!" (but it was standing straight like a fence).

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd been searching/pining for an arbor for 3 years. I finally decided to go with the hog panel, but the local farm store charges $65 for delivery plus $35 or so for the panel. Then I saw roof supports (like Deb's arbor above) on Craigslist); $50 for 4 of them (2 plain and 2 "double" with right angles.) Had to drive an hour to get them, but I'm SO THRILLED! Bought cement to anchor them for $10. Now I just need to figure out sides and a top--I'll probably just use rebar. Anyway, I'm sure the next arbor will be hog panel but for now I'm good to go. Thanks again to everyone for their input! I'll be ordering my Hardy Kiwis this week and starting work next weekend!!

Ann

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!