Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Faux Stone columns -- Easy !

toomuchglass
12 years ago

I bet these would be okay outside if they're sealed.

SOOoooooo Easy,too !

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy stone columns

Comments (17)

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I like those!
    Wonder about a coat of cement instead
    of the drywall compound??? Still would
    have to be sealed good.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Those columns are really neat. I like them.

Marylee

• trashydj
    12 years ago

oh I love those tfs

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

What a great idea!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I was thinking like nonacook: seal the tube then slather with mortor mix. I like having a flower pot in the top for a plant.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Hmmmm...I don't think the heavy duty cardboard core would hold up outside ...but I LOVE this idea...maybe on a covered porch/patio area. TFS! Jeanne S.

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

I don't see this holding up long term, but it would be a great TEMPORARY feature, like for an outdoor wedding. - Laura

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Very cool looking, but I would think you would need something like PVC as a base for outdoor use.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I would use pvc and mortar.That is a lot of work for temp..

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I'm also trying to think of something like this for outdoor use. I have a huge patio - about 600 sf - and I like to put lots of plants out there. So need lots of plant stands.

I've been thinking of experimenting with some faux granite spray paint. Was thinking of 2 largish terra cotta pots in the middle, and then using square stepping stones for a top and base. But maybe a PVC pipe could work. I guess I need to go browse at Lowes. . .

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I aquired a cardboard tube from my cousin,
    about the same size as the pictured one,
    it was destined for the dumpster,
    and planned to FILL it with morter mix.
    I might have to put some type of filler
    in with the cement to help with the weight.
    Piece of rebar, or conduit, sticking out
    the bottom to help it stay upright. BUT--
    how to get the cardboard off???? Guess I
    could smear it with cement and let the
    cardboard stay!
    Come on Spring! I don't do even slightly
    cold weather-LOL

• marquest
    12 years ago

I saw in one of my magazines a faux stone made from styrofoam I do not want to hijack your post so I will post separate and try to find the instructions for that also. I think they said to use outdoor paint and 2-3 coats poly to seal.

• mssunflower
    12 years ago

What about a layer of hypertufa????????

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

Concrete and mortar will not adhere to PVC. When PVC pipe passes into a manhole or thru a swimming pool or concrete wall a special rubber boot or sleeve is needed to keep water from leaking around pipe into or out of structure. You could use chicken wire and mold a thick layer of concrete or mortar around PVC pipe but be aware that unless sealed and caulked at ends moisture will probably get between concrete and PVC pipe. This could cause freezing problems later. Concrete or clay pipe would work well for outdoor use. Cement-asbestos pipe commonly called Transite would also work. You may be able to find some cut offs at a construction site for free.

• mytime
    12 years ago

Those tubes are Quikcrete Quik-tubes. They are made for outdoor use. We used them when we built our decks over 20 years ago, and they are still out there. I have peeled off the ones that show, but the ones hidden by trellis are just like they were originally. What I don't think would work would be a thin layer of mortar or cement on the outside of it. It takes some pretty thick stuff to stand-up to weather extremes--if it's thick enough to not fall apart, it's going to be heavier than what you're looking for (as in it will break the clay saucer...which brings up another problem, and that's the life expectancy of the saucer on the bottom). But I like the idea...I think something could be done with stovepipe, plastic flower pots, and paint.

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Cool idea and good advice.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I picked up this column for free off craigslist a while ago. I don't know what it is made of - it feels like cement, but it's hollow inside and relatively speaking, it is light. I just spray painted it to match our siding.

{{gwi:135624}}

As I was looking at it today, I started wondering if I could somehow use some raised panel cabinet doors and square pavers to duplicate the look. Of course that would be dependent on finding someone getting rid of some cabinets. . .

As others have said, if I'm going to do all the work, I'd like it to survive outside in the long term. Preferably something that will survive thru the winter and not need to be brought inside.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA