Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your must haves for a potting bench?

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:04

We have been lucky enough to come across a bunch of beautiful old barn wood! My DH is a semi employed wood carver with time on his hands!
What would be your must haves for a potting bench? We've been collecting hooks to hang tools, pot hangers, enamel bowls and American rust and pretty tile for decor.
I saw Kirk's beautiful bench, but couldn't come near to making something that lovely! The ironwork and brackets would be really expensive around here (everything's "collectible" these days! )
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your must haves for a potting bench?

Well, my DH is in the process of making me a new potting bench. The old one just fell apart. My "must haves" were:

It has to be movable
Easy to clean
A hole or slot in the table top to sweep dirt into. I have a tub underneath to catch the excess dirt.
A smaller shelf on top to put waiting pots, trowels, etc.

Old barn wood would make a great potting bench. We haven't "blinged" mine yet, so it's still pretty plain. It's also made out of vinyl and "fake" wood so it will never rot. I'll post a picture when it's finished.

Good luck with yours!

o

Marlene, thanks for your response! We are perusing the area for artsy fartsy stuff, but want to know the real "needs" to make a potting bench real! Nancy

o

The neighbors picket fence fell over! I've been watching to see if they want to get rid of it! LOL I might leave a note! Nancy

o

Always worth asking! We've found lots of stuff that way~

o

For me it would have to be able to be left outside in the winter. I might have to make myself one out of cement blocks.
Kathy

o

I have one that my dad made for my mother from old weathered cedar siding. I keep it inside my potting shed because to leave it outside would ruin it in just a few years. I also made one from an old buffet. It has two drawers in the middle and cubbies on either end. I added a fence on the back for hooks and hung an old mailbox to hold gloves. I covered the top work surface with some sheet copper to protect the wood from moisture. I'm going to moisture proof the top drawer to hold extra potting mix. I'll probably sell the one I made and keep the one that was my mothers.

o

Dh built mine years ago. It isn't fancy but has everything I wanted. It has a narrow shelf on top for extra pots etc, a 2 foot by 4 foot working area but the real kicker is a hole cut to fit an old metal refrigerator vegetable drawer (crisper?). I can put my potting soil in it, moisten it and scoop the soil into the pots. There's an 18 inch deep shelf under it to hold larger pots, extra soil, fertilizers etc. I've had it over ten years but it is in the green house so it is protected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here