Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

My project for today

luvs2click
15 years ago

I bought this unfinished dollhouse in a silent auction at our Goodwill several months ago. Today I started transforming it into a large fairy house. This kept me out of trouble the ENTIRE day and night. I still have the inside to figure out and furniture to make. Here's a few before and after photos. I'm exhausted - but it was fun!

P.S. DH finally got my new computer set up to upload photos! Hooray!

Arlene

{{gwi:135754}}

{{gwi:134397}}

{{gwi:126614}}

{{gwi:135755}}

{{gwi:135756}}

Comments (31)

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

OMG !!!!!!! I bet you had fun !! I never knew how much fun it was to make a house till I started my little town . It's addicting - the ideas are endless !!!

I L-O-V-E your finished houses !!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! That is adorable! You have done a wonderful job on it. The Fairies are going to love it! I can't wait to see pictures after you get all of your furniture and stuff done. It is the perfect fairie house.

~Micki~

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

That is adorable! I have a penchant for miniatures and your fairy houses are so magical! One of these days I will make one for myself. A big thanks to your DH for setting you up so we can see your magnificent projects!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Arlene, Very, very, perfect for Fairies. Charming and tastefully done!!! Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! Jan

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

That is absolutely adorable! What fairy wouldn't love it?!

I can hardly wait to see it furnished!

~Sandy~

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

You make the most amazing Fairy houses!

{{gwi:77274}}

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Just love the transformation from plain to adorable. Love what you did.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Can I live there???? My goodness...what a wonderful job you did!! It doesn't even look like the same little house! I LOVE all the details, etc....even a tiny mailbox! How cute is that! Thanks SO much for sharing it with us!

• cait1
    15 years ago

That is AMAZING!!! Where on earth did you find that adorable little mailbox?! And how did you make the mushroom awnings? Fantastic job!!! I'm gobsmacked!!

• msmitoagain
    15 years ago

Wow, very creative. Love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• akup_a
    15 years ago

I'm in awe of your creations. This is beautiful! Love the tiny shovel & hoe on the front porch.
    If only I was a Fairie. But I ain't that tiny! lol
    Vickie

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

"This kept me out of trouble the ENTIRE day and night." HAH!!! I understand! Time well spent!

Love it right down to the last detail and look forward to seeing what wonderful things you do with the inside! ~tenderlee

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all - it's been really challenging, but fun. Cait - I got the mailbox at our local craft store - Pat Catans - love that place! I found a link for the same item online that I will post below.

As far as the awnings, I gathered the fungus off trees in our woods last winter and dried it. These particular ones are bright orange - most are white.

Well, break is over - back to work now!
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Rusty Mailbox

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that is so georgous!! ok, don't think i'm nutz!! but I want to live in that house!! **big smile** its so........home!!! LOL i like that!! LOL ~Medo

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

Now one of the sites I saw, said to not finish your fairy house completely...cause fairies are lazy and give up easy and do not finish projects. (now do you think it was really the builder who did not finish, lol) That is adorable.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

I "luv" how your fairy houses always look so "natural"...love the materials you gather and use...this is really, really unique! (the awning fungus is great!)

I do not think you even need to build furniture or such for the inside...it is so beautiful on the outside...can you bring that "in?" As far as faieries (which I know little about)...how 'bout using just beautiful fairy butterflies!! How big is the house? Ok, I'm rattling when you didn't even ask! Anyway, luvstoclick, I enjoy lookin' at your detailed, time-consuming work...this is wonderful! Jeanne S.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The house is about 16" tall and the base measures 23" X 15". It's pretty big compared to most I've made. I don't know much about fairies either, except that there are a lot of people that believe in them - so I decided to capitalize on that! (my bad) This and most of my other fairy houses are for inside or a covered porch because of using the dried materials on them. This one is covered with wallpaper. After I ripped off the porch and other gingerbread trim (too frufru for me) there were a lot of little holes left - the wallpaper worked great to cover them. Also, at past shows, I have had people want them for their children with working doors, etc. So hopefully this will go to some little girl (or big girl) with a big imagination. I'm not going to do a lot of detail inside, but do want to furnish it a little, so the recipient will have things to "play" with and move around. The watering can, tools and basket on the front porch are not attached either, so they can be moved around. I have a twig chair and bench I will include, and a slab of wood for a table top. I want to build a bed and possibly a bath tub (using a seashell). I'm having too much fun to quit now! I have no idea what to charge for something like this.....

If you'd like to see some of the other stuff I've been working on, click the link below.
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My flickr photo site

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is TOOOO cute for words....

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

NICE

debby

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

This is awesome!! You have such a great imagination.

• Barbara Kelly
    15 years ago

Awsome, thats darling, and very creative. Great, now I have to look for little doll houses too, to add to my garden.. Always something with you people..lol

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Arlene, I want to live there too! There is such a lovely magic but homey feeling about it.
    I had fun looking at your other things again too.
    kathy

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I thought it was a darling little house before you did a thing to it--then I saw the after pic and realized you had made it so adorable. Love all the detail you put into it, you did a fantastic job. Luvs

• dkline_2008
    15 years ago

That is awesome!! I love it. I am thinking of making a fairy garden this summer. Now I will be looking for a doll house to transform. You did a wonderful job!
    Deb

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

okay check this out. If I would have brought that house I would have thought of putting the bark on the roof. That's a given. I would not have taken all that gingerbread trim off the original though. My imagination does not run that far. You clearly did a great thing by removing . I had to keep going back and forth because my eyes did not believe these were the same house at first.

YOU ROCK!!!

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

wow, how'd you do that? It's stunning!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

HOLY Faerie Dust!
    That is a home fit for the Queen of Faeries!!!!!!

• jitterbug4756
    15 years ago

WOW... amazing job. You are one talented lady.You're right goldenpond, it is truely a home for Queen of Faeries.

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Totally awesome!!!! I love all your beautiful houses!!!!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I love it! Every time we go to Hobby Lobby, my husband has to walk us over to the dollhouse kits and furniture,lol. He wants to put together one of those dollhouse kits so bad! I think the kits are almost $200 for the ones he drools on :D
    I just love the way you used natural materials, and the vine and flowers look perfect..
    Kudzu