Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

As Promised: A Picture Of My Birdbath

kirkus
17 years ago

When I posted "A White Bench: What a Find", several of you asked to see a close-up of the birdbath in the foreground of the picture. Well, here it is! I had given this birdbath to my parents for their anniversary in 1979, my senior year of high school. I worked in a greenhouse, and when the greenhouse closed for business, the birdbath was marked down to $20, a great deal of money back then to a poor high school student saving for college. (A steal now!) When my parents passed away, I inherited the birdbath back. I had never seen another one like it until I met my future wife, AND HER PARENTS HAD THE SAME BIRDBATH! It is made with large, colorful stones embedded in concrete. It's SUPER HEAVY! Seeing the projects many of you have posted, I bet some of you could recreate this. ENJOY! Thanks for asking to see the birdbath up close.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

thanks kirkus for sharing...that is wonderful...just perfect there with all your rocks and moss.

• tasymo
    17 years ago

That is so cool, Kirkus! Thanks for the close up. I've seen birdbaths imbedded with pebbles, but this one is so much nicer, with the big, colorful rocks. I imaginge that puppy is very heavy.

• ellens_joy
    17 years ago

Kirk, I don't know what is more amazing the bird bath or the story that surrounds it! It is a beautiful bird bath and I have never seen one like it. When I saw the curb find that Cait posted there was what appears to be a cement thingy that looks like it might lend it self well to the design of your bird bath. Does your wifes family still have theirs? What a coincidience! Maybe not... maybe their was a message? :) Thanks for sharing, always look forward to your posts.
    Ellen

• cait1
    17 years ago

PURTY!!! I have a broken birdbath I was thinking of mosaicing (with broken plates) but I think I like this stone idea better! Ahhh, ideas and inspiration abound!
    Love your story, too!
    Cait

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

That is very unique. I really like it. That is really cool that your wives parents have the same bird bath. I was a senior in 1979 too. And 20 dollars was a lot of money! Well the bird bath was well worth it and it has given you many years of enjoyment! Its in the perfect setting(-: Thanks for sharing the picture.

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

That is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow! that is a most fun, rustic birdbath I've ever seen!
    Love it!!!

Hazie

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

Thanks for the closeup of your birdbath. That is beautiful, and so unusual. And especially meaningful because of it's origin and the coincidence of your wife's family having the same one! What a great story. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Very Lovely story and birdbath. I love the stones I have a collection also. Hard to come by in Florida!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Ellen, my wife's parents still have their birdbath. You're right...maybe it was more than a coincidence! Kirk

• marilyn_c
    17 years ago

What a wonderful birdbath and story to go with it!

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Such a beautiful birdbath, love the stones set in concrete.

Sal

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

Wow, What a great birdbath. I just love it. Thanks for sharing with us.

• jiju
    17 years ago

Awesome birdbath and cool story. And I also graduated high school in 1979!