Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

An 'inspired' potting bench

jeannespines
15 years ago

Here's the progress my DH and I made on a potting bench. I lugged home an old enamel top table from my farmer SIL bldg. a few months ago...it needed lots of TLC. So today I sanded and sanded...we fixed up the legs & my DH re-built the drawer. We added some bracing near the bottom and added boards for another shelf.

The old door I drug home a couple yrs ago from a consignment store...broken glass and needed TLC. So today I also sanded, my DH screwed trimmed off the bottom, screwed

onto the back of table. Got one coat of white paint on it and will share the finished project...hopefully, tomorrow!

We're due for another "nice" day in Iowa! Inspiration for this project from all you GJ'ers and Purplemoon's Inspiration Album. Thanks all sharing! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:136135}}

{{gwi:136137}}

Comments (22)

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Wow that is beautiful!! I love it!!! What a great use for the door it turned out wonderful!!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Well that is definitely going to be one beautiful potting bench. Very impressive. The finished photo will have to go in our GJ Inspiration Album!!

hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Ditto!!! I sooo love that idea. Very creative. Those old tables go for alot of money round here. Please do post a finished picture. Thanks for sharing.

• jlily
    15 years ago

What a great project!! It is almost too decorative for a potting bench. Well, maybe you don't make the kind of mess that I do? LoL Thanks for sharing. JLily

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Love that! It would be great in a foyer or something. Maybe with a mirror in the arched door panes! Are you going to put hooks around the door area for garden tools or anything? What a creative way to put two old pieces together!

• shysue
    15 years ago

Oh, I love it!!! I want it!!! You sure did bring it from trash to treasure. You need to post it on the Trash to Treasure site, too. Great job!

• countrygrl
    15 years ago

That is one beautiful potting bench! I love it when you finally find a use for something you've been holding onto for a while, but don't quite know what to do with it, like that gorgeous door. It's perfection! Can you post another picture when it's got all your tools,soil, etc. on it?

• garianntx
    15 years ago

That is great! What a cool idea!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

What a great idea using a table AND a door! It looks wonderful, and you should get lots of fun gazing and potting hours there. Thanks for sharing!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Love love love it!!!!!!!Too pretty to fidwe give it a great spot! I have seen such beauties in the shade and the top covered with moss,gorgeous!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Oh,Jeanne,that's GORGEOUS:) I'm so jealous!! lol I have a similar table that belonged to my Granny, I have my computer on it for now. It has black turned legs,black on the bottom edge of the table. Ya'll did a great job on it.

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. You and DH did a great job on transforming that into a potting bench. I love it, the door is so pretty.

Sal

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

I heart that very much. I wish I had a potting table. Well, I do, it's called my basement laundry room :-)

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

tradewind, LOL! My potting bench is my front sidewalk! Hmm, gotta go sweep now that I think about it;)

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Just beautiful and inspiring! Carol wants me to make us one now! And I will be glad to do so if it turns out as nice as yours! You and your DH's talents are such a gift! Thank you for sharing your ideas! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I love it!! It's wonderful!

~Sandy~

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

rmlanza, sidewalks work great! I've been known to hang out on the driveway with the hose and potting soil myself. I want to make sure the neighbors have fresh stuff to talk about :-)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love my new potting bench! It's now complete with planted flowers. The backside I added a flower box and planted it with purple salvia and a ferny houseplant...can't wait until they flower...also added a bright cobalt blue glass vase (upside down) inspired by you glass/mosiac people!

Also put up a bracket on the edge of the door and hung a wire basket planted with purple wave petunias...they should be awesome when they grow. We've had some warm weather here the last couple days! The bench sits over a big half rotten stump.

On the table top is a pot of pansies. Later on I plan on laying flagstone in front of the bench and, hopefully, lead the path to my ol' garden shed. This has been a fun project and I can't believe how much I've used it already and kept the dirt off my patio table & chairs now! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:136138}}
    {{gwi:136139}}

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Oh My Ms Jeannie S/
    That is just SOOOOOOOOOO W O N D E R F U L ! ! ! !
    I am just so proud of you and DH ! ! !
    I appreciate the pictures so very very much and
    the IDEA ! ! !
    You should have that Published in a Magazine ! ! !
    I just ADORE IT ! ! ! !
    I hope I get one like it one day...
    and I'll think of you every time I see it...
    You are such a CREATIVE ARTIST ! ! !
    God Bless !
    SusieSunShine

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

OMG...that is so awesome!!! I am totally jealous to say the least...LOL. So unique!

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Ditto!!! it came out wonderful. I too am totally jealous.

• robolady
    15 years ago

That is so kewl!!!!!!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County