Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Watering Can Fountain

kirkus
17 years ago

I've never posted before but wanted to share my watering can water feature. I found the watering can in a junk store and had the old, 1/2 whiskey barrel as a planter. I combined the two into a water feature by our front porch. Each year I place water plants in it. The sound of the water is so relaxing! I place a water purifier additive in the water to keep the holes in the spout from clogging. The purifier is one that won't hurt birds or other wildlife.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• ellens_joy
    17 years ago

Kirkus, That is so neat !! I love the way it looks and can just imagine the way it sounds. You did good !! What all did you do to make the whiskey barrel work for you. Like water proofing and fixing the return hose to prevent it from leaking? I would love to copy cat your water fountain. Thanks for sharing. Ellen

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

I love your fountain. I tried to use a watering can in a water pond but the holes were to small or something because the water filled to fast. What size pump are you using? And did you drill the holes bigger?

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

What a fabulous fountain ... great work.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Kirkus, WELCOME to the forum, you'll have a wonderful time checking in here. I love your water fountain, this would be a great idea for the whiskey barrel I have. Please tell, what did you use in the barrel to seal it for the water.

Sal

• blueheartz
    17 years ago

I have a barrel with an old pump putting water into it and I used the thick black rubber like material that you use for ponds. I cut it and stapled it to the inside of barrel. I have been using it for about 4 years now. I also tried last year with another barrel I put a plastic liner for barrels you get at the store so you do not have to use so much potting soil to hold water but it evaporated too fast and was to shallow. I had gotten the material on clearance one year at Big R. I get a lot of comments on it. I will post pictures soon.

I just love all the neat ideas I see on here. I love the junk too and am looking forward to our city wide garbage pick up in the next few weeks!! I have gotten lots of goodies that way.

• spudmom_gw
    17 years ago

I also have a whiskey barrel with a pump sitting on a board across it, this will be the fifth year for it.

We started out with the heavy black plastic stuff, pond liner I think, but there was just enough splashing that water got behind it and a great big bubble would form, and then we had to take care of that several times a summer, so two years ago I pulled out the liner, thinking to myself, self, this is a whiskey barrel and they sure wouldn't let it leak, so after the wood swelled up it works fine, and last fall I made sure it was full to the top, and it didn't dry out over the winter. Whew, I need to take a breath!

I remembered how every year we had to fill the bottom of the mahogany Chris Craft boat to swell up the wood.

I put pots of flowers on the board, so it doesn't even show after about June. The pump is getting all rusty, just like I wanted.

I agree, the sound of water is very soothing.

Lynne
    who is enjoying our beautiful Idaho spring!

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

You can buy a black plastic liner for the whiskey barrels.

I bought just the liner...and dug a hole in the ground to set it down in....

I think it was about $10.00 This will be my fourth year for it.

Instead of a watering can I'm using a blue granite tea/coffee? pot. Sitting right next to my blue bottle bush.

patti

• lefd05
    17 years ago

Your fountain is wonderful!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I used a plastic whiskey barrel insert. It was a deep one so I can put various plants in it. I got the insert at the end of the year clearance at a garden store! Last summer, I had a water lily, miniature cattails, a corkscrew plant, and tall water iris in it. I bought an inexpensive small pump made for small water features at a pond store. It has a valve to increase or decrease the flow of water. I didn't have to drill the holes bigger. I did have to play with the pump valve a little to get the right flow of water. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the watering can and attached a hose with a plug on the end of it. I got the hose at the pond store too. I used silicone as an added measure to seal around the plug. With the exception of getting the correct flow of water, everything worked the first time I turned it on!!! People comment on the pond as they walk up to our front porch. Thanks for your positive comments! You made my day! Hope I answered all of your questions.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

kirkus, I love your watering can fountain!
    It's so country and rustic........I love it!
    Really great idea....thanks for sharing it with us.

Hazie

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Great stuff!

• susie_gardener_2007
    17 years ago

Great fountain! Thanks for all the information. I'd like to make one.

Susie

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Belated Welcome, Kirkus. Your Watering Can Fountain is absolutely wonderful. Great job on it.

Karen

• minnesotamaggie
    17 years ago

Hi Kirkus-- I was looking at old posts and found yours. I've been wanting to turn my 1/2 whiskey barrel into some kind of water feature. I have the perfect watering can, too. Could you give me instructions, pump size, etc. thanks

• kirkus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Minnesotamaggie! I'm glad you liked my water feature! It was an experiment, and it worked! I just turned it on today! I used a Rio Aqua Pump 600. I bought it at a local pond shop but have since bought them cheaper on Ebay. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the watering can (the top part of the bottom if the can is leaning forward) and attached a hose with a plug....I got this from the pond shop as well. I added a sealant around the plug for extra measure, and it doesn't leak. I hung and wired the can on a short shepherd's hook...using old, rusty wire. I found I needed to add a water purifier to the water to keep the watering can's holes from plugging. The water purifier I found is safe for animals. Good Luck! Don't hesitate to ask more questions! Kirk I'll post pictures soon with the water plants in it!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, the whiskey barrel has an insert in it to hold the water. Kirk