Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organizedsarah

Magazine pic help, please

organizedsarah
13 years ago

Recently, I saw the photo in a gardening magazine of a bird nest made out of pieces of rebar welded together. I fell in love with it and my son-in-law even said he'd make it for me!

NOW, I can't find which magazine the photo was in! I purchased the magazine within the last month, so it's a new one. If you happen to see this picture in a magazine, will you please let me know what magazine it is in and perhaps the date of the magazine because I think I just might have to go buy another copy in order to show my son-in-law what I'm talking about! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Comments (14)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I'm sure I've seen these but I can't think where. How lucky you are to have someone to make one for you!
    Hope someone here can help you out, I'd like to see it too. Be sure to post a pic of the one your son makes.
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

There is a bird nest pictured in a magazine called "Flea Market Gardens". It is made from rebar. I believe this issue came out in Feb. 2011 and costs $9.95. Hope this helps you. - Marylee

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

I am going to try to post a pic of the nest
    {{gwi:136399}}

. - Marylee

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I've got to look for that magazine! Thanks for the reminder.
    Kathy

• organizedsarah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! That is exactly the one I was looking for! I'll have to post pics of my nest when it's done. I just purchased some big plastic Easter eggs I plan to use as a mold and will make hypertufa eggs to go in my nest!

Thanks again for taking the time to find this for me and for posting the pic!

• tasymo
    13 years ago

What a great idea! I don't have the means to make a rebar nest, but I love the idea of giant hypertufa "dinosaur eggs" nestled in a corner of my garden. I wonder what my chickens would think of them?

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Very cool nest. The bird looks a little scary though. lol! I love your idea of the hypertufa eggs too. Can't wait to see your version!

• organizedsarah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't like the bird either. I was working in my yard today and found 3 different places I could put my nest. Now, I'm anxious for SIL to get started, though he's pretty busy right now, so it may be a while! I will post pics when it's done.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Love the nest! I just HAVE to find someone that welds!

• quidam2
    12 years ago

I love the nest sans the bird!! And the hypertufa eggs would be eggcellent!! I can't wait to see what y'all make.

• rosiew
    12 years ago

So LOVE this. Visited local welding shop today and will have my guy there make a facsimile. Can any of you tell me how many feet of rebar would be used, approx. Looks like they used more than one size, also some smooth, some barbed.

My favorite thing in a long long time.

Rosie

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

roseview, according to the caption on the picture, I think there are some branches or twigs used in the nest with the rebar. There were no directions in the article. Nothing was said about the size of the nest either. Sorry I can't be more help. - Marylee

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Marylee, I think the references under the pic refer to the plantings the nest is sitting in. You've made me think - I could do one out of branches from my gardens, to get a better idea of what size I'd like it to be.

Prestonsnana, what size do you envisage?

Psyched in Sugar Hill. GA,
    Rosie

• pattico_gw
    12 years ago

What about weaving branches that are green and easily bent without breaking, into a nest.

I have a maple tree of some kind that I have to cut the shoots off from around the base every year. Also a "box elder bug" tree sends out shoots.

When the branches dry they should last for a long time.

Love the idea of the hypertufa or concrete eggs.

hummmm....now to find a place where one would look nice in my yard.

thanks for the idea.

patti

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting