Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP to build giant lizard

Posted by giggles1 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 6:47

We just purchased a couple homes in Cape Coral. The house I'll be in has a huge mulched garden area under a couple palms in the front yard. This area is kidney shaped, the palms are only on one side. Probably had something else in there that died. :(

The palms are mature, so I can't see planting anything else & decided I wanted to build a 5ft or so lizard. (Yea, I'm wacky!) I've been saving beads, buttons, mirrors, etc to do a mosaic, shiny design on him. Conversation: "which house is yours?" "You'll see the giant lizard in the yard" "Oh, THAT house!"

HELP... what's the best thing to use as my "base"? If I start with a chicken wire shape, then what?
What will hold up to the weather? What will be heavy enough to not get blown away or, get stolen?
I thought about hypertufa, but will I have time to decorate it and get everything adhered? Do I glue the stuff on later? Will stuff STAY on?
What goes under mosaic art pieces?

Suggestions, PLEASE! I told my hubby I would make the FRONT yard "presentable"... I'm only doing the lizard, the rest will be plants & hardscape... little does he know what I plan on doing from the lanai to the canal!!!! LOL... SHhhh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP to build giant lizard

Hi, you should go over to the stained glass and mosaic forum. There are several artists there who make the most amazing things out of diamond lath and or hardware cloth and mortor. They hold up in the weather as these folks are from all over.
I haven't tried it yet, but its on my list (making a sculpture). Good luck with your lizard. I think its a wonderful idea!

I suggest that you go to the bottom of the sg&m forum and search for scupture, or lath or Rianna (the woman who taught some of them her technique for making scupture) before you ask a general question. They have answered peoples questions before. Then once you've done some research, ask more particular questions.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained glass and mosaic forum

o

There is a gal doing a sea serpent right now that you can see the instructions on the stained glass/mosaic forum.

o

I think it is a very cool idea! I agree, the stained glass/mosaic forum would be a good choice or you can even try the hypertufa forum for ideas on making things with concrete. Be sure to share pictures if you get it done!

o

I've been on the look out for one of those really tacky light up alligators at a good price for a while now to do something similar. My plan is to use it as the base and cover it with hardware cloth as the armature. But, yours sounds like it's going to be much bigger. I'd love to see pics when you get started.

o

I forgot to add ... check out your local library. I have seen some great books on building concrete pieces and then mosaicing them. I had one book that was particularly good but I can't think of the name of it.

o

THANK YOU!
That sea serpent is JUST what I meant! With a few tweeks.
I'm in Florida now, but going back to NY next week. That's where all my supplies are still... can't wait to get going on this now that I know how to do it. :)

THEN, I'll have to figure out how to get it down here! LOL Can't you just see the folks at the airport??? I need to declare a LIZARD.
We've got some trucks coming down in a few months.

I'll be sure to post pics. The BEST part of Gardenweb has always been how helpful you all are! So many of you take us thru step-by-step photos & processes. Makes it easy to grasp.

THANKS AGAIN!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here