Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

bird bath

bookjunky4life
11 years ago

I got this from freecycle last summer. The base is in bad shape. Is there anything I can do to help fix it, like a concrete filler or something, to prolong its life? This particular cat gets up into it often. I spied him laying it the other day again. Caught my female laying in a 10 inch pot on my grill planter but didn't have my camera. It was really cute.

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I don't know how to fix it but sure a cute pic! I would probably put a could of metal strips around it(like you use around hot water heater to hold it to the wall(earthquakes) with screw through the holes to keep it tight & paint it. Not much of a solution but would last longer at least. Calamity fixed a grome in terrible shape so maybe she can tell you. JAN

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I would try some GE Silicone II for Doors & Windows to caulk up the cracks ...it would probably help it some...if the top is useable, I would add some of those old 'blue glass insulators' in the center for the birds to land on ...one of my Internet friends has done that in a recycled birdbath like this one & it looks awesome.

If you are a mosaicer, like some GJer's here on the forum, I've seen beautiful mosaiced birdbaths. There's also containers of 'cement patch' that would probably work. Good luck...good save! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

There are cement and concrete fillers/patch that you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm sure one of the salespeople could help you with that. You may need to paint the base to make it more uniform looking, but your kitty sure doesn't mind it just like it is. Great picture!

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

What about playing around with hypertuffa? That might be a good solution for you.

• pattico_gw
    10 years ago

If worse comes to worse...you could sit it in a clay pot and fill it with concrete.

Maybe you could find a clay pot with some decoration on the outside. or make your own design with hot melt glue and a glue gun...then paint the whole thing with white paint.

Good luck ....

patti

• mjowest
    10 years ago

Here birdy birdy birdy... :)

• samhain10 - 5a
    10 years ago

Pattico - have you used hot glue on outdoors stuff before? Will it last through a winter, I'm wondering? Would be handy if it did. Also, I've got a great old bird bath base, but no top. Was thinking of the hypertufa stuff myself to construct a top, but this might not work because of OUR cats, who also like to jump up on everything! Don't think the hypertufa would be heavy enough.

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

I used hypertufa to make leaves. Believe me they are heavy enough!!!! They have lasted well through about 5 winters. Here's are two I made:

This one is very large - from a rhubarb leaf. I can just barely pick it up.

{{gwi:70629}}

This one is smaller from a morning glory leaf:

{{gwi:70631}}

I think the base could be fixed with this stuff. make a mold (square or round) set the base into it, and let it dry.

Garden Web has a hypertufa section. There is also a Simply Hypertufa site that I've included the link below.

Another thought is: Is it possible to cut the broken part off and just end up with a shorter base? I don't know how that would be done.

Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Hypertufa

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I used the cement patch stuff, you get it dry and mix up what you need, it's great!!!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone