Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
makine resin figurines stronger?

Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 9:27

I have a few gnomes, fairies, etc. made out of resin and I would like to drill a hole in the bottom and pour some kind of filler inside to make them stronger. The resin on some of the newer ones are so thin that I've had them tip over and break. I've been trying to think of something that would not shatter or soak up moisture like plaster of paris, and expanding foam could expand too much. I've thought of Elmer outdoor wood glue but I'm not sure. Have any of you thought of this or tried it? I'm open to any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: makine resin figurines stronger?

Well, I can't speak to drilling holes in them, but something I have done on a couple of mine was to glue a clear plate or even a block of wood to the bottom and then cover it with mulch up to the figure. Keeps them in place and you don't see the block. I usually use either liquid nails or GE Silicone II and so far it's worked fine.

o

You know I have wondered about this too. I've thought of putting some mortar mix inside then shaking with the right amount of water. But it seems like you would need to make another hole for air/drying once you plugged the one in the bottom and stood it up so the weight of the mortar would be at the bottom. I'd like to know if you figure anything out. I like Marlene's idea also.
Kathy

o

I sink rebar into the ground and set my things on top of it so it cannot blow over or be knocked over by the critters. I wonder about that Hypertufa...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here