Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_kelly6949112

First attempt at Plate Flowers, Photo's!

Barbara Kelly
14 years ago

So, I've been collecting plates for flowers for awhile now. I recently found some copper thingys called Bell Hangers and glued them (GE II) to the back of the largest plate. I then bought a 10ft joint of copper tubing and cut it into 4 stems. It's very easy to attach the flowers to the pipe.

What do you think?

{{gwi:136852}}

{{gwi:136853}}

Let me know if you want more pictures, their alot of fun to make, the hard part is waiting 24 hours before you can "plant" them..

Comments (37)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Great Job!! They are addicting, so watch out! More will follow! They add lots of pizazz to your your garden!

• leveta
    14 years ago

I really like them...Beautiful...

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Squealing with delight!
    OOPS hope that's not the swine flu symptoms!

• enjoyingspring
    14 years ago

Very nice, still not quite sure how you attach the copper piping. When you have time could you take a picture of the back of the plate.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I just love them.
    They are addicting. I have a bunch that are in a box waiting for stems, and plates to make more, lol.
    Good job!
    kathy

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, here's a picture of the gizmo's I use to plant them. The first is already glued together, I will plant it tomorrow, the second is a back shot of the ones already up.

I bought the copper thingys and tubing from the HDstore..
    I think this makes for a nice neat flower.

{{gwi:136854}}

{{gwi:136855}}

• fldirt
    14 years ago

Those are very nice! I am making some today & was wondering about attaching to my copper tubing. Will take a look at the way you did it.
    Good Job.
    Sandi

• enjoyingspring
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures of the backs of the plates.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Very pretty. I love the way you attached them. Going to show DH when he gets up from his nap!!
    Beautiful flowers. Aren't they just FUN???

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

OHHHHH, those are so beautiful...and I love the area you "planted" them in. I've read the posts where people drilled through & used nuts/bolts/things.I like those little "thingys" ..looks like you could use other things as the stems if ya didn't have the copper or the money at the time..Love the way the middle of your flowers look like daffodil centers. Great job

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

Very nice. I saw the bell hangers at HD last month and wondered if they could be used for the flowers but was working on something else. You may be able to find the bell hangers in other materials also. Might be a bit cheaper. Will check when I get back to HD

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty! And I love your bell hangers too. What a great non-drilling idea for making the flower plates! I will have to check them out at the local HD store. Thanks for all the wonderful pics!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Thanks for your pix of the pretty flowers and all th info about ataching plates to tubing.
    They look very pretty in your garden.

Kat

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

dulci ---your glass flowers look WONDERFUL in your gardens! And I love the "froggy" hanging on the light pole! Thanks for sharing the "hangers" & the pic of the back of the flowers...looks like a good way to make them. Great fun! TFS! Jeanne S.

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Those turned out so cute! I have never seen a copper pipe fitting like that before. I will have to keep an eye out for them. That would be much easier then drilling holes!

• kirkus
    14 years ago

Wow! Your first attempt! Way to go! I really like the attachment and will have to look at our local hardware stores for them. Thanks for the close-up photos too! Your garden looks beautiful! The "flowers" blend in so nicely! Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pics!! That makes a very nice garden spot to just bring a chair & have a cup of tea. A little whimsey & the beautiful flowers & the neat rocks surrounding the area! I haven't made the flowers as I didn't want to drill plates so this is the way to go!! Jan

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Those are really nice. I like the little thingy you attached them with, will have to go look for them. They are very addicting to make aren't they? Thanks for sharing.

Donna in Florida

• donnainnc_2008
    14 years ago

love love love them I use the pvc elbows on the back of my plates and so much cheaper then I paint my pvc pipe for stems

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I really like the gizmo you used on the back...may have to update some of mine! Thanks for the close-ups!

• janepa
    14 years ago

Now I know what to do with my copper tubing. Your Plate Flowers are great. What is the name of the adhesive? I did not recognize the letter you gave for adhering the hanger to the plate.

I have many, many daylilies in my garden but sometimes all you see are the leaves. Plate Flowers would make a great addition to those bare spots, and the nice thing is that they can be moved where needed to add a little 'glitz'.

Thank you for sharing. Jane

PS: I am so glad I was advised of this forum.

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good old GE silicone two...lol make sure its fresh.. thanks, and I love this forum too...

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Those are so precious. I just found this forum and already love it. Very creative bunch of folks. I could learn from you I'm sure.

• Laney_Bug
    14 years ago

They are just loveley, may I borrow you idea?

• Sandra22
    14 years ago

What is a bell hanger and how would it be used in this project? I don't see it in any of the photos. What do you use as the center of the flower? a little glass candle holder?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Very pretty. DH drilled holes in our plates and put bolts through them and bolted them to branches,wood axe handles, anything he could find.
    Yours would be easier. Thank's for the idea.

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

SUPER attachment idea! I so appreciate it when you gals show your close-ups so I can REALLY see how you do things. Your flowers are beautiful!

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Congrats on your fist flower project. They look great! Does the GE silicone II adhere well to the copper? I've heard it doesn't. I've been using a flat piece of PVC and an elbow that screws into it that has been working well, but I like the look of copper. I've been using silver colored conduit for the stems because it's cheaper than copper, but might go back to the copper.

• ncshabbybeach
    14 years ago

Those are Fab!!!!!! I will never get all of this stuff done!!!!! Love the bell thingy!!!! I would never be able to drill glass....I will have some of these!!!!Great job!!!!I am envious!!!! Your garden looks great and your Plate Flowers are the Greatest!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Dulci- Thank you for the tutorial. I have been wanting to learn to make those!!!!! Gorgeous garden!!!!!!!!!!!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

You really want my honest opinion? ;-) I really, really wish I had never opened this thread! I've been avoiding even *thinking* about making plate flowers but now can no longer do so. I always thot people drilled holes in the plates and there is no way I wanted to do that.

Seriously, your flowers are wonderful! I've saved your pic of the back so I may have to bring myself to make some. No more avoidance. LOL

Going off to check all my glass and set aside plates/bowls for flowers now. You people are all such enablers and I'm so grateful for all the inspiration and good ideas.

• robins143
    14 years ago

Well now I have to make some of these! I have been trying to figure out how you attatched them to the piping and your great close up picture did it for me. I see yard sales in my future........ : )
    Thanks!!!
    Robin

• ncshabbybeach
    14 years ago

Hey Dulcimerduo!!!! I am sooo glad you found the hangers!!! You did it girl you got the bug and you worked it out!!! I am still making them.........LOL found some Amethyst bowls this weekend! Now looking for something to go with them!!!! I hope you are ready to keep going! I Love the setting too!!! Have fun!!!

• minnesotamaggie
    14 years ago

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your idea for the copper bell hanger. They work really well. I've been making plate flowers like crazy! Has anyone else had trouble with them coming apart? DH just dropped a little solder on the area and it was fine-- we're thinking we might just reinforce them to begin with so as to avoid the problem. Just as a side point- this is my first experience with the silicon that you all recommend- that stuff is amazing!

• mjowest
    13 years ago

Bumped up-
    does anyone else have the problem of these coming off?
    Certain glass- a smoother glass, always fall off!
    'crash'- you all know that sound.

Can someone give me a refresher course on drilling to add copper pipe stems?

mj

• Ryanek
    11 years ago

The bell hangers are utterly beautiful - where did you get these? I am looking for something like this for my newly arranged garden for quite a while now but I can't find bell hangers as pretty as these. I recently ordered beautiful flowers via serenata flowers .com and they should arrive any day so I am searching really hard to find a decent bell hanger. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: serenata flowers .com

• Desrtdove
    11 years ago

Fabulous work, Dulci! Thank you for sharing! Have you found long term success with the GE II?? I've tried several adhesives without much long lasting success...even Lexel doesn't seem to be curing consistently for me.