Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwahlton

gottatry - please tell me how you made this?

jwahlton
12 years ago

{{gwi:136928}}

I absolutely LOVE the mushroom and fairy. How did you make that?

Comments (18)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I like it also,good job.
    kathi

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

It looks great & so do the flower plates, so ruffled look almost like real flowers! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I'm sure the mushroom is made of concrete. Below is a link to some easy instructions for making a concrete mushroom. I kind of like how the "cap" of hers turned out - it looks real.

You can also do a search on "concrete mushrooms" on the Garden Web forums and I'm sure you'll find more ideas and instructions.

As for the fairy, I'm sure that was just a figurine glued to the top of the mushroom. That mushroom looks like it was painted with something like "patio paints" that can withstand the outdoor elements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Concrete Mushroom

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wondering if it was just a glass bowl instead of the concrete mushroom. I did a search on mushrooms and all I found were the concrete ones.

• Rusty
    12 years ago

If you click on the picture,
    It will take you to her album on Photobucket.
    Under the picture she says
    "Mushroom made from old light globe".

What a neat idea!
    I love it,
    And the plate flowers, too!

Rusty

• User
    12 years ago

The mushroom is beautiful. I'd love to know more about how she achieved that look with the paint.

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Isn't that a beautiful mushroom! I wonder too how to keep the paint on the glass

• doodys
    12 years ago

I have one of those globes and I think she may have painted the inside of it...Swirled the paint around inside of it and then let it dry...I may do this with mine now.......

• Rusty
    12 years ago

It seems logical to apply the paint on the INSIDE
    of the glass.
    That way it would protect itself from the elements.
    Perhaps the design in the glass is what gives it that look?

Of course, that's assuming it was a clear glass globe.
    Or maybe the globe was that color to start?

Wish she would check in. .. . .

Rusty

• User
    12 years ago

doodys - "I think she may have painted the inside of it...Swirled the paint around inside of it and then let it dry."

That is probably the answer. I recall a couple of years back someone was painting the inside of globes and using them like gazing balls.

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

I did an Instructable on how to make concrete mushrooms. Go to Instructables.com and search for Concrete Mushrooms and you'll see my instructable!

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I wish I could send her an e-mail on how to make that. I'm not wanting concrete mushrooms, but would love to know how this one was painted

• doodys
    12 years ago

If I remember correctly she used finger nail polish...If u look closely the globe is white..the color was poured in and swirled around..It must be a frosty color due to the sheen of it..

• gottatry
    12 years ago

yes jwahlton, the gals steered you in the right direction. I'm not sure if this was a glass globe from a ceiling or a lamp but it's outside finish is sorta crackled. I used Folk Art metalic paints in coppers and golds to get the coloring I liked. Smeared it on and wiped it off with a rag. Several colors and coats. Then I used a foam stick and used the Pour On resin to cover and seal as we are in a rainy area (Pacific Northwest)of Wa. The angel on top is from the $ store which I also used Pour On to cover and seal. I used a bud vase that would fit over rebar and painted it dark brown and used GE 11 for windows and doors and glued in as the base. VERY SIMPLE and fast. Have fun!

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

I'm in rainy WA, too gottatry! It sure does make a difference to how we have to finish things, doesn't it? Sometimes I get so jealous when I see lovely outdoor rooms with fabric-covered cushions, etc in gardening magazines. I have sunbrella fabric on my covered patio and even that mildews here! I live with Lysol spray to slow down the mildew outdoors! Think we'll have a real summer this year? We deserve it after last year's wet, mini-summer!

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gottatry, thanks for chiming in! So did you paint the inside or outside? Sounds like you did the outside, then protected it. I live in Florida so we usually have a raiining summer.

• gottatry
    12 years ago

I painted the outside, so as I wiped off the paint the crackling affect showed up even better.

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Now on the lookout for light covers@

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting