Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Totems are hard

marquest
12 years ago

This craft is harder than it looks. lol

I have enjoyed collecting the glass. Then I sat down to put them together and discovered I need more pieces to get them to fit better. Other words what I wanted to fit together either needed a plate or spacer. So I went out to buy more glass.

Then I had so much glass I could not decide because I did not have everything layed out in front of me.

I went and purchased my GE II they had it on sale for 4.00 at the hardware store. Yeah. it was 8.00. I took all my glass outside layed it on the ground. I was finally ready. It started to rain and has rained for 2 days. Goodness this is hard. Well here is what I am working with.

I want to make 2 blue, one white, and one yellow/peach Totems. I have the areas in the garden that these colors will compliment the garden areas.

{{gwi:137253}}

{{gwi:137254}}

{{gwi:137255}}

{{gwi:137256}}

Comments (12)

• shrillmtb
    12 years ago

Lots of cool glass there - you should be able to create some great totems! I absolutely love that iridescent piece in the last picture - nice find!!

• rafor
    12 years ago

It's really just trial and error to get the pieces together in a way you like. I play around with many pieces trying this or that, here or there. I like puzzles, and this is sort of like a puzzle even thought there are many solutions! Sometimes I get several pieces together and then have to wait and search some more until I find just the right topper. That piece can sometimes make all the difference in whether or not I really like the final totem.

You're on the right path. Laying all your pieces out where you can see them is half the battle. Can't use what you can't see. Since you have particular colors in mind, i would separate those so you only have to consider a smaller number of glass pieces. Put the blues together, the peach and yellows off to one side, and the white glass over to another side. Sometimes it is overwhelming and this should help your narrow your choices.

Good Luck. Just go for it!

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rafor, Thank you for the hints. I think you are right about that topper thing and layout. You all made this look so easy. lol

shrillmtb, thank you. When I started collecting the glass I am amazed at how cheap this craft is also. My local thrift store is cheap .10, .50 nothing over a 1.00 and they give senior discount plus coupons. I have not spent over 20 bucs for all this glass. It is fun finding the bargins and pretty pieces. It is addictive.

• cnm1
    12 years ago

Your yard looks like my dining room. You have found some amazing pieces. I have not tried totems yet but I can't wait to see the final results. I need to try your thrift stores.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Just play around with different pieces until you find the arrangement that appeals to your eye. Mix colors and shapes and keep different size plates handy to take up the slack and make odd shaped pieces fit together better. Remember to turn things upside down and look at them too...sometimes it's amazing how it will look from a different angle.

LOVE all of your glass...some really great colors and shapes! Can't wait to see what you do...don't forget to show us your finished totems!

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Marlene, you know you were one of my inspirations.

I will definitely post pics when I figure out this puzzle. It has been fun finding the color glass. I get so excited when I see a pretty piece of glass sitting on the shelves at the thrift store.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I agree...it would be difficult! But you've got a great stash here & a great start! It will quit raining soon for you, I hope. Good luck! Jeanne S.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

You have a wonderful assortment of pieces to choose from and it can certainly be overwhelming. I know it takes me a long time to decide which pieces go together best. There is a real sense of accomplishment when you get them set up in your garden. I will be waiting to see your finished totems. Marylee

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Great bunch of colored glass!
    I see several pieces that I have in
    my stash-Grin.
    The oval clear glass pieces with the 'handles'
    are what I use a lot of the time to eat out of,
    easier than plates because of the sides-LOL

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

Marylee, it is hard. I did not think it would be this hard because I was keeping to a color theme. It certainly is a puzzle making them fit though. lol

nonacook, you are suppose to be putting those plates to good use in the garden not eating off of them. lol

As I said as soon as I put them outside it started to rain. We went from 70s summer weather to winter after rain for 2 days.

Yesterday it rained, then sleet then snow. All I can say is I do not have to wash them now I think they have had a good bath. When I figure out how to fit this puzzle together I can start to glue them together.

• rchovey
    12 years ago

Here is a link to a totem I made using cobalt blue items. It's a lot of fun, once you put one together you can't stop! Have fun with it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rchovey
    12 years ago

...and another one...

Here is a link that might be useful: totem 2