Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass flower HELP!

Posted by IowaJunkGirl none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 11:25

Ok, I made my first 4 glass flowers. I was trying to use what I had on hand, so I glued small bottles to the back of them (wine cooler bottles). I would say they are centered vertically. When I go to put them on the stakes, they tip forward and then spin around backwards. I can live with the tipping but then they spin. Do I just need a larger/wider stake or what do you suggest? I like some of the ideas of the spoons or hockey puck, but I've already glued the bottles on these.
I'll try to take pictures of them later to post.
Thanks for the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass flower HELP!

I don't have any ideas except yours for bigger stakes. Or maybe glue something with a smaller hole in it to the mouth of the bottle. I use spoons or forks and before I put them into the copper pipes I smash the top part of the pipe so that the flowers don't spin. It also allows some of the spoon handles that are very slightly larger than the pipe to fit into it. Just a hint for future projects.

o

You could stuff some styrofoam inside the bottle. Or plastic grocery bags.

o

You can also cut a small piece of garden hose or something similar and put it on the pipe, then slip the bottle over it.

o

Marlene, what a good idea.

o

I have plastic tubing over our stakes. They are only 5/16" wide, so I think we will try to find 3/8" or 1/2" pipe tomorrow. Thanks!

o

Flattening the stakes so larger spoons fit and to stop turning is brilliant!

Iowagirl, I think your stakes are too skinny. I always use either 1/2 or 5/8. If you need a small diameter, something strong like rebar might work better.

Kathy

o

I'll be purchasing my own stakes soon for my flowers that I have purchased off of Etsy.com. This is food for thought...as to anything I may run into.

Good luck with your working out the kinks to the spinning flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here