Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokymist

What to do with all of this broken terra cotta ?

SmokyMist
11 years ago

I have been collecting this for years, as I am a sedum collector and they love terra cotta best. I also had a local nursery save me their terra cotta and she recently ( no kidding ) gave me a huge garbage can full of broken bits of terra cotta.

So I have, probably two huge garbage cans full of pieces, small to medium.

I have no idea what to do with them. I love making bits of art for the garden.

Any ideas ?

Comments (11)

• edwena16
    11 years ago

Maybe mosaic, like stepping stones?

• cnm1
    11 years ago

How about doing a section of path? Or an isolated round area as a terra cotta rug underneath some pots. You could have fun smashing all into small pieces.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I was going to say stepping stones or a path as well.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

How large are the pieces? Can you put them together and make franken-pots? I'm not sure how since terra cotta is so porous, you would have to soak them first if you tried a cement based product. I have an image in my mind, lol, i might have to try it with my broken pots.
    Have fun,
    Kathy

• SmokyMist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I have everything from very small pieces to a few baskets of pots that are just cracked from winter weather and havn't 'officially' fallen apart yet. What are franken pots ?

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Its like frankenstein. In this case, putting parts of different pots together to make a new whole.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Its like frankenstein. In this case, putting parts of different pots together to make a new whole.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I use broken pottery pcs for 'mulch' in my gardens...I like the color & texture ...probably not good if you go barefoot or something...but looks good, I think among my Hostas, Coral Bells...sometimes it's hidden. Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I pass a house that has a large broken pot on it's side by the street that always has petunias tumbling out of it. I always smile when I go by, it looks so natural & great way to save half a pot! Might have several broken pots planted with path leading to your "ancient shard ruins" or "secret garden from long ago" Probably would need a broken statue, cement hand & arm(I saw 1 on here not long ago made with concrete in a rubber glove(like you use washing dishes) but you would go up the arm with the cement. (They had turned the glove over so it was a lovely hand) Could call it mystery garden having to do with all things old. I better quit, been a long day!! LOL Jan

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I saw someone took an old christmas light up reindeer, removed the lights and antlers, and then filled it with small rocks for their garden. Maybe you could fill an old reindeer with broken terra cotta?

• desiret
    11 years ago

If the cracked ones are not that bad drill a hole in one side near the edge/rim. Paint it or leave it natural. Turn it upside down and place in a nice garen area. VIOLA..a toad abode.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures