Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corkelcol

Help with ideas for edging

Corkelcol
11 years ago

I have multiple beds through my yard with 4-foot trails in between. Does anyone have any ideas for edging? I did find one...use old dinner plates stuck half way int he ground. I'll get those at the Goodwill. But I need many more ideas for the rest of the beds. I don't want to just use the edging from Home Depot. --that's just too usual and boring.

Comments (10)

• annlat
    10 years ago

I had a friend that used wine bottles, like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:137438}}

• Corkelcol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the idea annlat. I love it! I'll start asking friends to save their bottles. Its going to take a long time to get just a few. Oh yeah....and beer bottles too.

• amigirl
    10 years ago

I have a friend who used blue insulators.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I have seen old hubcaps, old record albums spray painted, the metal round disks from farm equipment tiller.

• luvs2click
    10 years ago

Are your trails grass? If so, will you have to trim them? Keep that in mind when using some of the things mentioned above - bottles, plates, records, etc. because they may not stand up to a weed eater. I have lots of beds and don't use any edging. I just mulch good and spray the edge with Round Up a couple times during the summer to keep the grass out. Easy to mow around and works great.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I use flat stones set so the lawnmower can ride on them. But then we have too many stones here in NH. Easy to come by.
    I would do some of the other ideas in back of my stones if I felt like being fancy.
    I've got some old records i've been saving that my dh keeps threatening to take to the dump...
    Kathy

• Corkelcol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, they're not grass but we siddenly have this weed down here that is taking over like crazy. I just keep having my son drive his Power Wheels 4-wheeler over and over it. LOL
    Records...hmmm now that's a good idea. Guess I'll have to go back to the Goodwill.
    I did buy 9 heavy stoneware saucers to line up against the metal edging...we'll see how that works. I'm afraid to use the cheap Corning dishes though. Thanks for the ideas...I really need them.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I have one bed lined with coconuts I pick up on the beach, one lined with Coke bottle "planted" upside down, several lined with old bowling balls, recycled beams from the house when we had to replace them line one bed, driftwood lines another and I am making plate flowers to line a bed in the backyard. No grass here, dug that nonsense up and put in plants.
    Tally HO!

• ladyofdirt
    10 years ago

I was thinking of doing a garden edged in bottles also. I love those Starbucks Frappuccino and have been saving the bottle. Came up with putting a little paint in them, cap them , shake. Then just stick the cap side into ground. That way you can choose what color you like.
    Mary

• Corkelcol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome idea ladyofdirt! My daughter drinks those. I'll start saving them. I've used cedar logs cut from my trees and, the Texas Holey rocks. --you can find those on Ebay, but they're all over down here. Can't find blue insulators down here but that would be nice lookin' since one of my beds is themed in blue. Thanks ya'll.