Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsy_nc

My bottle tree reborn from a tornado

Gypsy_NC
12 years ago

Hi ya'll - I just needed to share this with someone who would understand what a big deal it is. First of all, I live in an area of NC that was hit by killer tornadoes last Saturday. Our house is gutted on the inside but is fixable -there are many others who are not as blessed as we, whose homes are completely ruined and flattened, and their losses are certainly worse than my little personal ones. Some people have lost everything they had. When the storm hit my 15-year-old daughter & I were at home alone. My niece called frantically asking us if we were watching the news (we were not) and told us there was a big one headed our way. She kind of tends to be a drama queen, so...then we felt the house shaking. Instead of going straight in the closet my wonderful idiotic child goes outside & retrieves my gazing ball. When she came back in we felt the house start to rock from end to end, not side to side. It was over fairly quickly but it seemed like a very long time. It passed right over our house. We came out & started looking out windows after we took in the fact that there was water pouring down the walls in our kitchen & bathrooms. Every window we went to the devstation was worse. I was looking out one window at the site where my very beloved garden shed had been just a little while ago when I heard my girl screaming from the the kitchen - "Mama - your bottle tree"! I had just posted a pic of my tree on this forum a week or so ago. It's one of my prized posessions. Half of it was on the ground with bottles shattered all around it. That hit me hardest of all because it was so special and irreplaceable. In a few days,however, DH looked at it and said he thought it could be fixed. We did, too. We all dug a huge hole and "planted" my bottle tree. It just felt like a little something that had been rescued in spite of the storm taking so much of my garden. I have attached pictures of before, after, and after again. I didn't mean to be so long-winded - sorry for that but thanks for listening! (Oh -we also managed to pull up our willow tree, which was lying on one side, with the tractor, and to resurrect my brand new 6-feet-long sea serpent topiary which I had made from tomato cages, wire hangers, and electrical wire! Found an old chamber pot, also, while looking for stuff down in the woods)!

Image link:

Comments (7)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

WOW Gypsy!! You have been through so much...I saw the tornadoes on the news last week. I am so sorry that it did so much damage, both to your house and to everyone else's. I can totally understand how the little things can sometimes be what sends us into tears...much like when our beach camper and setup was destroyed by a hurricane two years ago....it was finding the small, treasured objects that meant the most. I am SO happy that your bottle tree was salvageable and your willow tree and sea serpent as well. Best of luck in making your repairs and again, I'm so glad you and your family weren't hurt! And God bless your baby girl for saving your gazing ball....she's a real trooper!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a terrifying experience! I'm so glad that you and your dd are safe.
    Wonderful that some of your garden art, and your bottle tree are saved.
    Good luck and I hope that putting your home back together goes smoothly.

Kathy

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

I know how damaging those tornadoes can be. One of them blew half my home town away in 1955.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Scary! We very seldom have tornadoes in my area of Wisconsin. In fact, when the sirens go off, we go outside to see if we can see one! How crazy is that?

I'm so glad that it was only possessions that were taken from you in the storm and that you and your family are safe. I'm glad to hear some of your beautiful things are salvageable. I will keep you and your neighbors in my prayers.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Wow-how scary is that!
    glad you could re-do the bottletree.
    Hope the repairs to yur home can be done quickly.
    Prayers!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

How scary! Thank goodness for that phone call!
    Good news ...you & your DD are ok....& that your family is pulling tog to get back some "normalcy." You are blessed to all be tog!

Glad you salvaged your willow tree, too, besides your bottle tree...old & new beginnings to build on. Good thoughts & prayers coming your way, gypsy...hope things will go as smooth as possible.
    Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Glad something good came from such a scary situation! Glad your niece was so concerned about you & gave you few minutes to try to do something, altho I don't think DD should be holding glass balls when the house may blow away!! Spunky kid!!( She knew it meant a lot to you!)Supposed to get in bathtub & cover yourselves with pillows to keep from getting clobbered by things like "glazing balls"LOL. You were very lucky & have a great attitude about it.I see a lot of colleges send out their students to help with repairs of damaged houses around the country, think they learned a lot from Katrina. Hope your insurance will cover water damage & that you don't have to tear out sheetrock. I live in quake country & much prefer it to hurricanes & floods. Thanks for telling us. Praying for all the folks in U.S. going through so much trouble. DS said flooding in So. Dak. too. I remember just once but our house was up high. Dad took rowboat to neighbor & handed in groceries through her kitchen window. Can your garden shed be saved? Let us know how it is going! Jan

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida