Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiahomegarden

Coca Cola Cooler Planter - What's your most unusual planter?

georgiahomegarden
12 years ago

I finally turned my coca cola cooler into a planter box for my jalapenos and habanero peppers. I am happy with the results.

Does anyone else have an unusual item they are using for a planter?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2012/04/coca-cola-cooler-pepper-planter-box.html

Comments (9)

• cnm1
    12 years ago

Well - I have been debating turning an antique steam trunk into one. It was given to me by a friend who did not want it any more. It is in good shape but needs refinishing. The inside smells awful (horse glue). I just don't have the energy to try to get the old fabric out.
    I think it would be a fun huge planter for at least a few years. I am hesitating because I feel as if I should find someone to finish it. It came from Europe with one of her husband's relatives but no one wants it.
    One other plan I have is to turn a filing cabinet in to one. I got a free cabinet. Just need to decide on a color and where to put it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing cabinet planter

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Your steamer trunk might be worth a lot of money. Put a pic of it over on the "Antiques & Collectibles forum" before you do anything to it. They don't like them messed with if they are true antiques & yours sounds like it is! Jan

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

Great ideas! I plant in everything I find, so not sure - maybe these cowboys boots or dish drainer?

{{gwi:137541}}

{{gwi:137542}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more garden shots

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

Old boots, kettles, teapots, frypans, pueses, shopping bags, an old washing machine tub. ... If it can hold dirt, you can plant in it

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I have a cast iron tub, a metal container that was
    a hog feeder (looks like an oval galvanized water tub) and a boat. They are planted.
    I am in the process of planting some of the plastic tubs that have rope handles. I put my coleus in those. They looked good last year. $4-6 for those tubs-can't buy a large colorful planter for that!
    I have a couple of terra cotta chimney liners that need to be planted.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

This is such a fun thread. I don't have any thing to add, most of my flowers are in the ground except just a few on the steps. I'm just terrible at remembering to water the darn things. I love all these ideas tho.

The coca cola planter is fabulous! I'm going to keep my eye out for worn out cowboy boots,cuz I'm going to have to dig up a good patch of hens and chicks this year to make way for the garage construction.

BTW Georgia home, I have a friend who uses smelly soap in a mesh bag (such as Ir(shspr(ng, to keep the deer away. I think it helps but isn't totally effective. If they eat those peppers out of your planter, they will have a surprise!

Kathy

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tasymo - That is really cool looking!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Your pepper planter is very cool! & I love the others on this link, too! Container gardening is just lots of fun, I think! TFS! Jeanne S.