Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indigosunshine

bowling ball revisited

indigosunshine
11 years ago

Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden; this one was broken but it worked anyway! I drizzled metallic fingernail polish around it....it looks real pretty! Now the test starts to see if it is weather proof. Notice the the snow! It's the 16th of April and we don't even have a blade of grass visible. I think I will welcome the sight of the lowly dandelion without complaint! Oh boy, here comes the sun
peeking through......haven't seen that in over a week!
Carol

Comments (18)

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful! Must be 7-8 colors on there. Hard to say how it "will wear" ,don't think safe to spray clear protective coat as might cause it to" cloud" or discolor it. Great "paint" job!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

That looks amazing!! I agree with Sunnyca....you should probably spray it with a clear coat to protect it, but the colors turned out beautifully!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

That is so pretty!

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

That is beautiful. Let us know how it holds up. Is the fear that it will peel? If you take it in during the winter will that prevent problems?

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

Did you do a base coat or a primer of some sort?

• garden2garden
    11 years ago

Wow! That looks really cool. I like the way you just layed one color on top of another and the way it drips down.

I'm always drawn to the nail polish in the store because of the colors but I've learned to walk away because I never (well maybe once about 20 years ago) wear it. This is a great excuse to finally buy some.

Someone on the forum a few years ago swirled nail polish inside a glass light globe to make a gazing ball. That looked pretty.

Sheesh! You mean you have that much snow yet? Holy cow.

• indigosunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frankie, I did not put a base coat on. The ball was a sparkly gold and navy. I'm a little reluctant to put any sealant on it because it might react with the nail polish. My manicurist said to use just the cheap stuff because it has formaldehyde in it. I'll let you know how it holds up.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

I have gobs of nail polish I was going to throw out but guess what I will be using it for now...just have to procure some more bowling balls.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow ... that's a new method...haven't seen that done! Love the effects ...kind of looks like 'tye-dye!' Yes, let us know how it is out in the hot sun (when & if we ever get the sun/spring back, uh!) Jeanne S.

• mourningdove
    11 years ago

You did an amazing job on your bowling ball. It's beautiful!

• mjowest
    11 years ago

yea! another ball project! we are supposed to get some snow yet tomorrow, but after that? It will BE spring, I just know it.

• Corkelcol
    11 years ago

That's a great idea for a bowling ball. That's what I'm going to do with mine right after it gets done' holding open the hole I dug but never planted anything in. LOL At least ya'll got snow...we were hoping for snow down here in Spring Branch. Not even a freeze this year for more than a couple hours. And, today at the end of April, record cold...whats up with that?

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

that is so pretty. I have some candlepin balls I've been thinking of doing something with soon. I'm eager to hear how yours holds up.
    BTW, nail polish is good for coloring up cheap boring jewelry too!
    Kathy

• Diane Tandeske
    9 years ago

if you are looking for cheap nail polish try Dollar Tree..they have lots of colors for only $1

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I wonder how this has held up in the past two years?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

My daughter in law told me that she has lots of old nail polish for me. I'm looking for a metallic ball now.

Thanks for replying about it's stamina in the garden, I just love this project!

• kylslil1
    8 years ago

This is so ridiculously cool! I absolutely love it! Did you use the specific brand? Or just leftover randomness that you had laying around?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH