Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Your outside baker's rack ideas

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

Hello, I am quite the lurker here and I remember last year some of you posted pictures of your garden baker's rack. I have some things on mine but it doesn't seem to be coming together. It feels kind of plain. I just added some timy white lights around the sides and back. It's still to cool for annuals yet but when the weather does warm up I am going to add some nastirtiums in the top planter. Are the things on it too big? Thanks for your help!

Richie

{{gwi:137645}}

Comments (31)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

You have a great baker's rack and some great pieces on it. Here's a picture of mine with summertime "stuff" on it. Mine is on a front covered porch. I think if it were mine, I would put the larger terra cotta planter down a couple of shelves and move the smaller one up on top. I also use cloth on mine as a background, but we have others who use mats, evergreens, etc. Jeannespines has a great baker's rack. You can find her by doing a search at the bottom of the page. I also usually put something heavy on the bottom shelf just for extra weight against wind and cats. Thanks for sharing yours with us!

{{gwi:137646}}

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

would mine look tacky if I strung a faux leaf gardland through it? I do have a smaller terra cotta to put up at the top. Thanks.

• tasymo
    11 years ago

Hi Java!

My first thought, when seeing your rack, was that the big teracotta planter looks too heavy on the top rack. I think placing it lower down would help ground your vignette, and also be a bit safer. That being said, I LOVE your stuff! I'm especially fond of old lanterns and crocks!! I'm thinking if you could get your hands on some old barnwood planks to use as a backing on your rack, it would really set off your rustic goodies. Most importantly, have fun with it.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I think you have a great start. I agree with the others - it looks a bit out of balance with the heavy terra cotta planter and heavy crock on top, and the light watering can and light enamel coffee pot on the bottom. Switching the top and bottom shelf would help the balance a lot.

Try adding some pansies to the planter once it's on the bottom shelf. It may help soften the look a bit.

I'm also thinking a few decorative branches in the watering can - maybe pussy willows? Though that may change if the watering can is on the top shelf.

I was actually thinking some type of greenery/garland would help. I guess the issue with the faux leaf garden is how "faux" it looks. Soemthing that looks plastic would probably look tacky. But I'm thinking a faux evergreen garland could look nice.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I moved the planter to the bottom and put the watering can and coffeepot on the top. I do like the idea of adding some pussywillows or something else with height to the watering can or coffeepot. It might block off the old rear entrance even more.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I think greenery would be great and it would give visual weight and movement as well. Don't forget to show us what you end up with....I love seeing everyone's projects!

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I think changing the top planter down is good idea & some greenery around the back area would make it look nice also right now it is only things there, it could use a little company, add a couple of items to either side of it to make it look natural & complete, look at couple of Kirk's projects, he always makes a vi_____ tte whatever, can't think of word right now, something like a small wagon, couple of other old watering cans, interesting rock, old pot with shells or rocks in it etc, even old rake & shovel leaning against the house if they would not get blown over. I like all your goodies so you are 95% there!! TFS Jan

• ashli
    11 years ago

Those are so cute...I'd never thought of displaying stuff like that..I saw this just in time...because my husband brought home a used baker's rack the other day that
    someone gave him...and I thought I had no room inside for it....so I would offer it to our daughter when she visited...But now I'm thinking of putting it on our porch and displaying birdhouses, etcs.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

java - can you post a picture with the planters and watering cans swapped. Maybe we can give you more ideas then.

I am now thinking that I must find a bakers rack to add to my patio. . .

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Lookin' good, javaandjazz! If you moved that big terra cotte planter (which was my only thought, too)...then I think it will be wonderful! Lots of 'goodies' on your baker's rack...crocks, old lanterns & the Pansies!

Here's a couple pics of mine from the last yr or two:

In the Fall...I like to use pinery greens:

{{gwi:137647}}

In May of that yr...I use some houseplant vine, too:

{{gwi:137648}}

a closer view of top rack:
    {{gwi:137649}}

Just have fun! Lookin' good! Jeanne S.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks jeannespines, really nice. I love the pine greenery! I need some fill in greenery also. Here are the latest pictures. I also like your use of trays.It's bare now but once the nights go above freazing I will be able to put more plants in. The bells hanging on the side came from my great grandmother's cottage, the once used to hang on the front door so she would know when someone was coming in. By the way, the green box on the bottom emits sounds to keep the racoons away, haven't had any in a long time so I am thinking of putting it away.

{{gwi:137650}}

{{gwi:137651}}

{{gwi:137652}}

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

I love everyone's baker's racks. They are so great looking. Now I will have to keep on the look out for a rack. Thank you all for sharing. Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I think it's looking good, when the greenery gets there & maybe a couple of interesting branches or pussy willows or cattails sticking out of that clear glass jug sitting on the floor that will complete the scene. You have some great pottery jugs!! Jan

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

LOVE the added bells & the history of them! Lookin' good! I also enjoyed seeing Baker's racks again! TFS! Jeanne S.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

The house thing in front of the pansies is throwing me a bit. It is competing with the pot of pansies for visual attention. Just moving it to the other side of the shelf would probably help.

Otherwise, as Jan said - some pussy willows or cat tails in that clear jug, and some flowers in the big terra cotta pot, and you have yourself a winner!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

This is a different take on an outside baker's rack . . . I opened it out, spot welded to keep the shelves and side pieces in place (could just as easily be wired in place) and used rebar sunk into the ground to hold it upright. It makes a great trellis, currently supporting 3 clematis. In the photo, it wasn't yet fastened in place.
    {{gwi:137653}}From Mar 17, 2011

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Looking better all the time....can't wait to see it finished!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Looking better, but I think the watering can on top is still a bit heavy up there. My suggestion:
    1. Move the watering can down on the deck where the glass jug is.
    2. Put the glass jug where the sprinkler is.
    3. Put the sprinkler on the shelf below where the lantern is.
    4. Put the lantern on the top shelf where the watering can was.

Just an idea.

tj

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Love ALL the racks...especially the trellis baker rack! Thanks for posting!!!

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Javaandjazz: you baker's rack is looking great - I like the changes. What is that little house made of? Pottery? Cast iron? It is so cute (I would move it to the other too though)
    Nhbabs: Love your idea!! I will that keep that in mind if I see an discarded or super cheap baker's rack
    I am getting SOOO many ideas from this site; my brain is about to explode :(

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The little house cottage is just an old door stop, I took it off for now. Did a bit of rearranging last night though.

{{gwi:137654}}

{{gwi:137655}}

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Looks really good...the balance is much better! Now...you need some pops of color. The greenery you talked about or even something standing behind the jugs and watering cans....got any stars or metal objects or even silk flowers or colored glass??

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Lovin' those lanterns on there! Looking great! Jeanne s.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

I love them all. I have old watering cans and lanterns and crocks just gathering dust. I love to see how yoou have displayed them!
    Kathy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Much better. A lighter look. I like it.

tj

• TwoMonths
    11 years ago

Mine has wood shelves and they are nasty I noticed today. As I looked I noticed there is a dove on a shallow next she made on top shelf...so I will leave it alone. I have been using it to hold my large blue bottles and shelves for other size blue bottles. Will take a picture when the dove moves off.

But I think the purpose of using these outside, is to redo and redo all the time for our own pleasure...and also using for things we use outside.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, for now I added some artificial forsythia.

{{gwi:137656}}

{{gwi:137657}}

{{gwi:137658}}

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Javaandjazz..we are shopping for a nice wrought iron or heavy metal outdoor baker's rack for our patio and yours looks pretty sturdy..Mind sharing where you purchased it? Do you leave yours out all winter or take it inside during the wintertime?

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Javaandjazz..we are shopping for a nice wrought iron or heavy metal outdoor baker's rack for our patio and yours looks pretty sturdy..Mind sharing where you purchased it? Do you leave yours out all winter or take it inside during the wintertime?

I've been thinking about what I'd furnished it with and more ideas are coming to my mind as I look at other's pictures. I love the silk forsythia branches attached to the top..I just happen to have some silk forsythia branches or maybe it's part of a wreath that I saw in one of the garage cabinets yesterday..have to investigate what it is and if I could use it. I'm planning on adding a few potted up annuals for color..probably inpatients or geraniums,a decorative birdhouse, a large textured metal star that I saw at Joann's crafts store and I'm sure I can find other things here at home or in craft stores for a reasonable price.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my baker's rack from a friend who didn't want it anymore. Yes, I leave it out and it was rusted so I sprayed it this year with some black spray paint I had at home. It's not really heavy but it's solid. Look on your local craigslist or better yet try freecycle and see if you can get one for free and there is even a free category on craigslist.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Love the addition of the forsythia! Really adds a pop of color!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz