Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenman -how to w/links

Posted by r_murray 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 14:19

Wow and thanks a lot. If you didn't see this, here's how:
The condensed version.
I found a plastic Halloween mask at a TS and made a plaster mold of the mask.
Then I made a casting from the mold; the mix consisting of
1 part portland cement
2 parts pearlite
1 part redwood shavings(hamster bedding screened through 1/4" hardware cloth) The measure I used was a 38 oz coffee can.
When dry I painted it all green, (not the back)

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/robertsbackyard/?start=60#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ8

I found a 14" plastic water tray (they go under potted plants) and made a casting of the tray (with the same mix as above), I embedded some wires in the front to join the face to and a metal support on the back,
The part cast from the tray measures 13 1/2" in diameter and is 2" thick, about the size of a large stepping stone.
I joined the face to the backing pieces with a 50 ~ 50 mix of Portland cement and water.
Then it was a matter of shaping it some, wire-brushing it some, and sanding it some before painting it all green, with acrylic paints, then dry brushing with gold, blue, purple, red, and yellow, spraying with transparent brown stain, and finally finishing with high gloss urethane.

http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/faux-painting-technique-verdigris.html

The completed piece weighs in at just over 5 pounds let's call it 6 pounds.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hypertufa/msg042346082889.html?1

The completed piece weighs in at just over 5 pounds let's call it 6 pounds.The back is unfinished
That's all there is to it.

kinda looks like a big bottle cap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenman -how to w/links

A Halloween mask? Wow! I would never have thought of that...and where the heck did you find such a nice looking face in the Halloween department? Anyway...it's totally awesome Robert! Thanks for sharing the how-to's.

o
RE: Greenman -how to w/links

I thought maybe this was a mold of YOUR face! Thanks for the "how to info". Am going to try something like this. I have a mask mold that I found at Hobby Lobby...but it isn't near as handsome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here