Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

What would you do with all the junk jewelry in the world?

tradewind_64
16 years ago

OK, maybe not the whole word, but close. You know those huge blue storage containers at WalMart, the kind you could stash a body in (too much TruTV!)? Well, I have one that is half full of junk jewelry. This stuff has been completely picked over, there is nothing of value in here. Tons and tons of faux pearl necklaces, earrings from the 70's and 80's, beads and baubles galore.

Just junky stuff but I am hoping you guys can help me figure out what to do with it! It would be great to do something garden-worthy, but I have literally so much that I am at a loss at to where to begin.

Can anyone help with ideas?

Thank you! Joanna

Comments (52)

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lara and bright, OK, I will take pics, maybe that will help peeps come up with lots of bright ideas for me! I do have plenty of bowling balls (Last year I told DH I wanted one and he brought me home 11. Sheesh!). For pics, just let me find my camera...hopefully it's not at the bottom of the bauble pile :-)

Joanna

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Not garden stuff, but sounds like you've got plenty to make a Victorian Xmas Tree with all this stuff for ornaments. I saw some in magazine or on HGTV last year, looked really cool I thought.

hugs, Karen

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I couldn't find my camera so I took these with my cell phone. I wish I could get better pictures for you guys but the lighting is fluorescent in my basement and the camera on the phone is...well, not so great :-).
    {{gwi:137709}}
    {{gwi:137710}}
    {{gwi:137711}}

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Purplemoon, that sounds lovely! How are they made? Is it just ornaments that decorate a tree, or is it a bauble tree in itself?

Joanna

• cjoldstuff
    16 years ago

Hello, My name is Claudia I am in TX. New here, but have been lurking for a long time. OH my gosh, you have a ton of jewelry. Not really garden but I have seen one of the old wooden standing mirrors decorated with old jewelery, it was really very nice. Also real popular now (with the younger) are belt buckles decorated with old jewerly.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

OK, here's what you do with it: you put duct tape all around the top of the container, you print out a shipping label with my name and address on it, then you go down to your local pack&post and ship it to me! Seriously, it would work great in mosaics! I'm sure you'll find a good use for it, if not...you can always send it to me.

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

How About......
    put it on ME>>.. and let me sit in the
    garden and Wear it..... ?????????????????????
    I wanna dress up in it....
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sew it on my clothes......

If you leave it outside...
    It must be under glass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make windchimes... Wherlies...... or put it on a coffee table... or Picnic /and glue the whole thing down..... then COVER WITH GLASS TO PROTECT IT>>>>> I still think I should WEAR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SIMPLY LOVE & ADORE JUNK JEWELRY !!!!!!!! well for that Matter... I just Love JUNK!!!! I Should be named JunqueSusieSunShine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let us see the pics
    Thanks for showing us these pics !!!
    God Bless!!!
    SusieSunShine

• tisme
    16 years ago

Look at the Pink Flamingo thread with 96 pictures of decorated flamingos. You could paint them a pretty color and decorate their bodies with your jewelry - include a few long necklaces to hang around their necks, a hat and you would have CUTE birds for your yard.

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies.

cjoldstuff, I wish I could see some examples of what you were talking about. If you have any links, post one!

rchovey and susiesunshine, you guys have me giggling. I can't for the life of me figure how to someone would mosaic baubles, as they are so many different heights and textures. How are they done?

tisme, I DO have two plastic flamingos that I bought a couple of years ago, but I love their pretty pink color so much I couldn't cover them up :-) However, that has made me think of other plastic garden creatures, like the angels from Christmas decor? However, once again, how the heck do I mosaic baubles?

And just for anyone who loves old costume jewelry and is sad about impending destruction, there is NOTHING in here that is valuable from a collector's standpoint. AT ALL. Don't worry! It's all broken (not just missing a stone, or needing a new clasp), or too common, etc. The lovely woman I got this lot from sells jewelry from estates in her antique space and her glorious shop and this is the stuff that she has culled as unsuitable for even the "any-piece-on-this-table-is-$5" section.

Keep the ideas coming :-)

Joanna

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Joanna,
    Here is a link that might give you some ideas...she uses all kinds of stuff in her mosaics, I do too, but mine are just for fun and they don't turn out as pretty as these.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool stuff

• gersch
    16 years ago

At a church holiday bazaar a couple of years ago, one of the vendors created brooches from bits and pieces of costume and old jewelry jewelry. A larger piece was used as the "base," and misc. pieces, i.e., pearls, gemstones, chain, charms, etc., were added to create a "layered" piece. I've always wanted to try this with old jewelry I have but just haven't found the time or inspiration. I have a friend who's made some with newer findings and words such as "dream, inspire," etc. Her's have a vintage look and she's even hammered some pieces down to make them flat for easier layering.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I WANA COME PLAY!!!! I see all kinds of goodies in there. Good grief It willtake awhile to use it all. I have a childs wonder horse that I am eventually going to mosaic for the garden and would love to use jewlery on it. It's painted but that's all soo far.

{{gwi:137699}}

• robolady
    16 years ago

Wow, I'll take your pearl neckalces. I use them as dangles on my China Swags
    {{gwi:137713}}
    {{gwi:137714}}
    And I use the other stuff on lots of my jewelry creations.
    {{gwi:137715}}

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

oooh, I've been away too long!!!
    Joanna, I took a quick peek at the "cool stuff" link and just LOVED the garden tools with the jewelry on them!
    Bright, THANK YOU!!!! I have one of the rocking horses, too, I couldn't throw it away when the springs broke and haven't known what to do with her (my girls named her Bessie), so for the last 2 years she has just sat in one of my flower beds. NOW I KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! she is screaming for sparklies!! I have to make a few bowling balls for a plant swap coming up, but then I am going to concentrate on Bessie. Thank you, thank you!!!

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rchovey, AMAZING stuff via that link. WOW. I am stunned. Now I feel totally unworthy to have this stuff!

gersch, about inspiration, I too am lacking. Enthusiasm yes, inspiration, well, actually, maybe it's just confidence I am lacking :-)

bright, you have a carasol horse! Luckeeeeeee! I keep looking for them at thrift stores, but the ones around me price them high, like $50 for the last one. Too much! Or maybe not...how much did you pay? Or rather, what is a reasonable rate to expect to pay for one?

robolayd, those are sooo cool! In the pictures it looks like they might be in an antique space, do you sell them at an antique store? They are quite beautiful!

Kelli, you are making a bb for a plant swap? Meaning, you get plants in exchage for a bb? How does that work? How do you figure out the exchange rate?

Joanna

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Joanna the horse came out of my mom's attic. She was going to Make a carosel horse and never got it done. I have yet to find one for sale.

Robo I have been looking at my mosaic china that's not broken yet I want to make one of your arches.

Rchovey...Oh my I LOVE THAT WORK!!! This is my life's dreame to make things and sell them. It's all soo beautiful. Thanks for posting the link.

• robolady
    16 years ago

Tradewind, Yes I have a booth and sell them there as well as online and ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Yep, all that jewelry just screams mosaic with me! Like using seashells, you just glue various baubles to a surface without grouting. I have seen a lamp covered in faux pearls and bits and pieces of old china (see the book Mosaics: Inspiration and Original Projects for Interiors and Exteriors by Kaffe Fassett & Candace Bahouth). I really liked wall hanging where the artist made the shape of a vase out of tiles and then glued a variety of junk jewelry as the flowers (see the book Found Art Mosaics by Suzan Germond). I really like the idea of the flamingoes with bling!

I also remember seeing a picture of a old wooden chair in the garden covered with bottle caps. I could see doing the same thing with junk jewelry.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

First, the hardest part bur wort it. Sort it out by kind of item...maybe use shoeboxes. Such as necklaces, broaches, rings, and so on. Then maybe do another sort by color, red necklaces, pearl and such.
    Then you can see what you have and what projects you might tackle. You can just hang the necklaces in trees for sparkle. Or sting a variety of color and sizes of beads and hang in tree or patio roof.I have seen them used to wrap around plain plates to use for bird baths also. Put on a patio table and then pour resin on it to make a waterproof outside table. I am sure you will be busy for several years with that stack.

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Joanna,
    I'm not sure what the exchange rate will be!! :) it is my first swap in this area, so I'll have to let you know after. but everyone else seems to be bringing tons of plants, and I don't have that many to trade.
    Still thinking about my rocking horse.
    I got mine at a garage sale, look for ones that advertise baby or little kid items. also call kid consignment shops around you, or have you tried Craig's List? There is a listing in my area for test tubes - I really want to get them, but with the price of gas, I can't justify driving 1/2 hour just to get the them! sad.

• textilejo
    16 years ago

This is what I did with some of my buttons and jewelry. I used the necklaces for garland. You would be able to make one for everyone in town with that wonderful collection!!

Sorry it's not a close up picture but you get the idea:-)

{{gwi:137716}}

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Here's a couple jewelry trees I did for my sis' and bro' in memory of our parents. My bro's has alot of my Dad's and memories of winters in TX...my bro's is more bare because he wanted "lights" added so I used mini battery packed lights. mMy sis' has some of my Mom's costume jewelry and the trunks of the trees are pics of Mom & Dad. They were alot of fun to make. I made another for myself but didn't find a pic when I was lookin. I used foam core and covered it with velvet & used old frames.

Anyway, have fun...the mosiac-ing ideas sound wonderful! With my junky bits & pieces & big stuff for birdhouses (like hinges, screws, nails, all kinds of stuff, I've found to separate into ice cream containers or something! It makes lookin' a bit easier when you decorating a birdhouse or some other garden junk. Enjoy! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:137717}}
    {{gwi:137719}}

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Tradewind, what a haul you made! WOW. Here's a photo of the little "junk" Xmas tree I saw. I think it was on this forum at one time? I believe it's one of those styrofoam cones, lots of jewelry and chains glued on in layers. And then she sprayed the whole thing sort of an antique gold!
    But for Victorian look on a little tree, or a wreath, I meant use the jewelry as ornaments and the chains as garland. I can't find a photo right now of one to show you, but here's the junk tree.
    {{gwi:137720}}

hugs, Karen

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

Joanna,
    Oh yeah, I'd make a Junk Christmas Tree out of those--in fact, you can make a forest of Christmas trees with those. I am the one who made the one that PurpleMoon just posted above here....Here's a link to those from before painted to after. I took a styrofoam shaped cone and hot glued all kinds of JUNK to them. I found stuff from the bottom of the kids' toybox, junk drawer, etc. I have keys, GI Joes, lipstick, old ornaments, etc. The base of the cone I wrapped with fake pearls on one and the other is sisal twine. After all is done I sprayed them gold (you can use any color you think appropriate). I have them site on an upside down bowl or plate and tucked in gold fake gold leaves at the bottom. I'm sure your costume jewelry would make FANTASTIC trees! Have some fun with these....You know, a BB covered with the best stuff (unpainted) would look really cool in the garden! Let us know what you do.
    Love, Jules
    PS: Here's a link of what I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Junk Christmas Trees

• nonacook
    16 years ago

When I saw the pictures of the jewelry, my first thought was a horse-LOL
    You don't have to GROUT the jewelry on things, just use
    GEII for windows and doors like we do with BBs.
    Desertrat1, I can't see you pictures, sigh!

• garianntx
    16 years ago

You could make really fun wind chines. Or use some of the plastic jewelry as "mulch" in flower pots to keep the moisture in.

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

Nona, Here's a repost of that link with all the pictures...hope you can see it.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Junk Christmastrees

• tradewind_64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW those bauble trees are gorgeous. Very charming. Totally marvelous idea...I suppose one could make other things, too, like flower baskets or hearts...hmmmmmm.

The gold christmas tree looks awesome, I want to see a closeup of it to see all the individual widgets used. It reminds me of those puzzles that have common, recognizable objects placed in such a way as to make up something, like a boat or whatever.

I am going to Michael's or Joanne's tonight to look for foam trees. That would be so cute, to have a collection of the junk trees in various sizes. I don't know if I have enough purdy pieces to do the tree pictures, those are super sparkly and lovely, and a lot of my stuff is not so purdy, if you know what I mean! Not enough rhinestones.

I will try a windchime, too. I am envious of the silverware spoons and forks windchimes that have shown up on here...so maybe instead of being jealous I should just make do with what I've got :-)

Thanks so much you guys...

Joanna

• laurastheme
    16 years ago

i just now went to the cool stuff site. Cool is right!

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

WOW - I am overwhelmed! Tot a recycling artist.. that IS valuable.. I hope you've made some goodies with them!!!! WOW! That would be junk heaven for me!!!! Seriously!!! Junk HEAVEN!

OK If I can stay away from the pictures I can give some advise.. LOL

Bling Bottles

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Bracelets

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

You could blue the jewels right on to the bottle

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Pairie Bling Bottles

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

buckles restyled

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool buckles

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

Bejeweled bird houses...

Here is a link that might be useful: Funky bird house

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

You can embellish anything with them:

Napkin rings
    Drawer Knobs
    Wall hanging Monogram letters
    Signs
    Use in mosaics
    or just sell on eBxy in mounds!

heck - I'd buy some...

Whichever you decide.. please know there's tons out there to do with them!

All the best.. Stay in spired!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, all the ideas are so much work. You could just send them all to me. (wink wink) You lucky duck.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

No Daisy, she needs to send them to me, I am sure I am older! I know for sure I drool!
    That is so wonderful! My head is swimming with mosaic ideas!
    Breathe.......breathe

• tamrootbeer
    15 years ago

I'd give it to my SIL so she could add it to her Pirate Garden!

Or...I would sprinkle it among the agates we have around the pool...sparkly!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sister-in-Law's Pirate Garden!

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

Mosaics, Christmas spider, Mosaics, Christmas spiders.......

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Not for the garden, but I recently saw a bottle with loose pearls in it and a little sign attached that said "pearls of wisdom" that I thought was really cute.

Lots of great ideas here, you should be able to have lots of fun with them. NJTomboy, I loved the sites you posted for us.

Luvs

• lilym
    15 years ago

I've drooled all over the keyboard! I have made birdhouses with old jewelry and old buttons. I didn't do them to be used outside though.
    I need to take better pics.

{{gwi:137721}}

{{gwi:137722}}

{{gwi:137723}}

{{gwi:137724}}

• lilym
    15 years ago

{{gwi:137725}}

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

Lilym those are so cute. I love how you placed the house on the glass.. Too cute! Absolutely adorable!

• imranjewel
    15 years ago

really great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Jewelry Information

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Oooooooooo! I love all of the cool jewlery ideas. I love the outdoor table idea and the birdhouses for the garden best...but I also love Robo's plate swags, and some of the things on the different links. I wish I could find some cool jewlery for cheap. The TS around here want premo prices for their stuff.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

On our Christmas posts someone had great jeweled cone trees. 1 pastel other 1 Victorian looking. Can't remember what it was under but they were all pinned on so could be reused. With damaged jewelry you could take a "jewel" off of 1 item & put on another to fill in hole & then spray the whole thing, no one would know! Yes, I agree that all the jewelry needs sorting,clear plastic shoe boxes or even regular shoeobxes marked on end or ziploc bags & put it all in large box, mark top of bag with items inside- so they are "filed" in the box. Whole earrings with stones or rhinestones all in a box that way you see if you have enough of something to work out your design. It's been about a year so hope you have made something up. If not organize it so it isn't so out of control. I've gotten small stashes & even that is a mess if not sorted out. Hope yoou post pics soon. Jan

• flowergirl1211
    15 years ago

Hi, You can dress your dining table. Add them around your center piece, on napkins in center, whatever needs a touch of jewelry.
    Linda

• garianntx
    15 years ago

Oh my, what a fun stash!

You could use the beads to fill in plain glass in a totem.

String some beads to create wind chimes.

Use some of the jewelry on top of moss or mulch for a potted plant.

Glue jewelry to a frame (mirror or picture) and hang outside on a shed, etc.

• garianntx
    15 years ago

If you don't want to cover your flamingos, just create a necklace for each of them! Or anklet. haha

• cherry001
    15 years ago

Wow, so many amazing jewelry pictures, especially those trees made with jewelry, good stuff !

Here is a link that might be useful: jewelry sets

• murano
    13 years ago

The online marketing, this flower decaying?Properties The buyers, more your self-assurance.Grandmother would always, lighter was difficult.It is within jewelry, they have secured by the nature.Then men in, in helping any.
    http://murano-glass-store.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: murano glass jewelry