Houzz Logo Print
hillcresthoney

Wording on Old Silverware

hillcresthoney
14 years ago

Does anyone know how to do the stamped lettered look

on old flattened silverware. I've seen them with different

sayings, herb names, etc. and just thought they

would be so cute in Mother's Day gifts at our church.

Thanks for any advice:)

Comments (23)

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

Not sure where to get them but I have seen...and used in art classes...metal stamps that you can hold on the metal and hit with a hammer to get the letters on the spoons. I would look around online to see what you can find.

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I have them - a set of "punches" that have letters and numbers in the set. The punches are about 4" tall ... & the letters are about 1/8th inch high . You just hit it and it indents in the metal one letter at a time . (I got them from my dad - he had them when he was a machinist.) I'm sure you can find them locally - but if you can't - Google "Letter Punches" & there's a bunch of sites.
    I've used mine a bunch ! Harbor freight might even have them. Good luck !

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

Harbor Freight DOES carry letter punches...in 2 or 3 different sizes. They're MUCH cheaper there than anywhere else I've seen them.

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I got mine at Harbor Freight too....
    Haven't used them yet.
    I remember my Dad having a set, and Mother
    using them to mark keys for the different rental
    houses, sheds and my house.

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

ooh, i wondered where to get these...and i have a harbor freight around here,too :D
    kudzu

• hillcresthoney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info! Now one more crazy question...
    how do you get the old silverware so flat and smooth,
    for goodness sake????

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this question Hillcrsthoney...I've wondered the same thing....now, all I have to do is find a set of punches!

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

To get your silverware flat, I used a rubber hammer and a piece of wood or marble that I have. Just start pounding and it works fine.

Donna in Florida

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

My dad had a set of those punches too, and now I have them, too. I really like this idea and will have to give it a try soon. This would make some nice things for Mother's Day or to sell.

That's how I got my silverware for a windchime flat was pound on it with a mallet. You can use a buffing wheel if you have one, or buffing attachment for a dremel or even fine steel wool to take any sharp spots off and make them pretty after you've flattened them.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Great info, GJers...and thanks, classic, I do have a pc of marble ...good idea! TFS everyone! Jeanne S.

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

check ebay too, I saw several sets on there

• uglyoodie
    14 years ago

Check out the Harbor Freight Stores (Tool supplier) They have bunches and all different kinds of punch sets. From very small to about 1 1/2 inch.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I know the locksmith has them. So glad to hear they can be bought at Harbor Freight. We don't have one anywhere around so I'll look on line.
    Well I went and did it them came back and realized I hadn't posted this yet. I ordered 2, one for me and one for the shelter's private veggie garden, they want to make the recycled spoon plant markers! Also bought a bunch of other stuff, had to maximize my purchase to shipping ratio, he he. They have some good deals on gloves, now I can sneak some of dh's work gloves into the garbage and replace them.
    Kathy

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

I just bought a set, but I can't get them to make a mark on the spoons. Does it take a lot of strength? Is there a secret?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Stainless steel is a very difficult metal to machine.

This is what you will need to do:

1. Get a big hammer.
    2. An anvil, or a flat piece of steel about 1/4" thick as the base.
    3. Using the punch, you hammer as hard as you can while holding the punch in the exact same place, which is a very difficult thing to do.
    4. You may find it difficult to hold the punch in exactly vertical position, which makes the letters come out uneven, in that case, you may need to rock the punch once slightly forward, hammer, then rock the punch slightly backward and hammer one more time.

Good luck

dcarch

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

I resurrected this thread because I have some old silverware and I want to make some plant markers for this spring.

What size punches work best on silverware? Also has anyone seen any novel ideas using the punches for garden junk?

Thanks ... a girl named "Max"

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

I resurrected this thread because I have some old silverware and want to make some plant markers for this spring.

What size punches work best on silverware? Does anyone have a kit that includes both upper and lower case as well as numbers and symbols or do you have to buy individual kits if you want variety?

Do you always need to flatten the silverware first?

Also has anyone seen any novel ideas using the punches for other garden junk?

Any other advice ... like watch out for your fingers while hammering the punches? It seems like this project requires more than two hands. One hand to hold the punch, one hand for the hammer, and a third and possibly fourth hand to hold the silverware. Am I correct? Or is there a way to secure the silverware while you're hammering the punch. (Hey, maybe I can convince hubby to be to hold the punch while I give it a good pounding? hehe.

Thanks ... a girl named "Max"

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I tried it on a knife. It turned out to be hollow handled. It just crumpled. It was silver plate. Maybe I should have beaten it flat first.

That was my one and only attempt, so I have no advice.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yeah, my ones from Harbour freight didn't work.
    Dcarch explains it above.

I was very disappointed. I don't know where I put the punches. I suppose they might be good for something, just not for stainless steel spoons.
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I use colorful paint pens from Michael's to write on old flatware. I sand lightly first, the write. You can find all kinds of handwriting samples online to copy but I mostly just print the names.

The punches work better on softer metal like copper.

• slowlane
    12 years ago

If you happen to have a drill press, the entire process is made much easier. Just put your spoon the press, put a heavy, flat piece of metal (or wood--hubby is a metal worker, so we have that at hand) on top of it, and smash it flat with the drill press.

We recently picked up a small drill press at a garage sale (for $2!) that's perfect for stamping the letters. I tape each letter punch in place, add a metal plate to the top, and use the press to imprint them all at once. Depending on what your punches are made out of, you might have to be careful not to apply too much pressure to the press, but you can get all the impressions done at once, and they will all be the same depth.

You can also make the letters appear deeper by staining them with a little watered-down paint or stain. Paint it on, and then rub it right back off, being careful not to take all the color out of the impressions. When I do this, I sometimes seal the spoon in polyurethane after the paint dries.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Great ideas thanks!
    Kathy