Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orcascove

Calling all junkers!!!

Orcascove
15 years ago
last modified: last year

I have come across a neat little piece I think could be used for something good, but have no idea what to do with it. So calling all junkers!!! What would you do with this? Here are 3 photos from different angles (I think I like it best in the last picture which is taken with the item upside down.)

Turned it into a planter. Here is the end result.

Comments (27)

• kendal
    15 years ago

I click on them but only the front page of photo bucket shows up.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Can we see some bigger pictures?? It looks really cool.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I have the same problem as Kendal.
    Kathi

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone hope this helps, sorry about the quality of the pics, but you should be able to get the idea now. Let me know if you have any ideas..

{{gwi:137844}}

{{gwi:18559}}

{{gwi:137845}}

• misspistachio
    15 years ago

It looks to be a small planter chandelier. I Love It!! I would plant each basket the way you do the moss baskets with something that would hang from each basket. It's a darling piece! May I ask where you found it??

Enjoy!
    Julie

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

misspistachio - It was something a friend of mine was getting rid of out of her garage, she said she didn't know where it came from, but I could have it. We thought it looked like some kind of candle holder chandelier... I also thought about planting in it, but the holder parts are really small and I have no idea what would look right in them...

• Bright199
    15 years ago

OHhh lucky you. I have no ideas for plants... something trailing would be pretty. It's going to be lovely. Please post a completed picture.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I like it best upside down, too. Could you wire it somehow and put some kind of light fixture in each cage portion? Or turn it right side up and plant ivy or wave petunias or something in them? It would be gorgeous hanging on a covered porch either way! Lucky!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I see a teacup candle holder or bird feeder(-: Glue teacups/saucers on it and hang it up like a chandelier(-: It is really cool. I would love one!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

That is the sweetest piece! Let us know what you decide you can do!

• sweetkountry
    15 years ago

For small plants you might consider nesmia or assylum (pardon the spelling, I think I got it wrong.) Both are small plants and somewhat trailing.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Marble or mosiac some softballs (baseballs) and put
    a different color on each holder. Than do some
    danglies with beads/prisms and hang from the bottom of each....

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like the idea of planting it with something trailing and colorful, now I just have to figure out what will survive in such limited space. Anyone have experiance with the wave petunias in small containers? How much room do they need? If I plant one 6 pack cell per holder will they grow the way they should?

• garianntx
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest a chandelier for a tree! String junk beads on it and put candles in there!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I like it upside down also. What if you did some upside down plantings like they do for tomatos and petunias now in each little cage? Maybe wave petunias like orcascove suggests. I saw upside down plastic bag plantings in England in 1978 and I think it was mostly petunias. If you used black plastic bags covered with moss (for looks and coolness) and wired into each upside down cage you could increase the space for dirt by using a bag that was actually longer than the cage. I've also seen it done with plastic bottles. (The plant would be planted so that it hung out of the bottom of the bag and you would need to leave the top open enough to water. Then after leaving the plants upright for a week for the roots to hold the soil better, hang the whole shebang from your porch or what ever).
    Something that would grow both up and down would be nice. I have no experience with the upside down growing but I want to try. I believe the plants dry out quicke, like all hanging plants. Good luck and post pics of whatever you decide.

• naturelover_2007
    15 years ago

Can't tell how big each basket is but wave petunias need lots of root room. Some other plants would be sedum,which has a shallow root system...there are many types...

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, so I guess Wave petunias are out, because the little "pots" are only about 3 inches around and maybe 4 inches deep. Maybe something like concretenprimroses suggests would work for them, but I'm kind of new to this making something out of something else stuff, and upside down bags might not be one I can figure out just yet. I will have to think about it, and see if I can come up with something good. All the ideas so far are great, so keep them coming please !!!

• backyardmom
    15 years ago

that would look good with some spanish moss and a little dirt and plant sedum in it.there are many kind that would fit in it.lol

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Orcas,
    bring it to the swap next month and let everyone take a look, I bet you'll get lots of ideas then.

Kelly

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a great idea Kelly. I just might do that if I have done something with it by then...

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Kelly, I Ment if I haven't done something by then...

• ibeleive
    15 years ago

Wow what a cool piece. I could see it hanging either crystals and prisms or old beads from the little swags and hang it in the garden with small votive candles. Looks like a fun pece. It also would look really good painted in white.

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok gang, I did some research and decided on using purple wandering jew plants. It can be outside in the summer and brought in for the winter. And I hear they don't mind root crowding to much. So I will give them a try this year and see what happens. I will post a picture when its all done. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

I posted on the other forum and will post here on it too - that's an awesome piece, I love it. You could also use spanish moss in the cup parts to hold dirt (I did that recently with some pretty planters I had that are open like a wide weaved basket). Or, use peat moss seed planters for your plants and wrap some spanish moss around the containers so they don't look so plain.

Sal

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, here it is: hopefully the purple wandering jew will like it's new home...

{{gwi:137846}}

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Oh very pretty! What a great piece that is. You lucky little bugger!;o)

Great job!
    Robin

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Oh that looks wonderful! WTG!!

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Loudoun County