Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

'Interesting' front garden in my 'hood...

wendy2shoes
15 years ago

What do you think? A little too much?

{{gwi:137899}}

Comments (46)

• halley_rose
    15 years ago

No not at all. Looks awesome!

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

There is a point where tastefuljunque>/i> and whimsical becomes overkill and tacky. This is definitely borderline for a front yard garden.
    CT

• joega
    15 years ago

Hmm...Oh My!

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

wow

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I figure to each his own as long as it is tasteful and not tacky.

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

I couldn't live with all that in my front garden but to each their own. It looks like they take care of the yard so I wish them joy!

~~Mimi

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

I have two different thoughts on this yard...

first is, that whoever they are, they're fulfilling the
    wish to have all the toys they didn't have, when they
    were little kids.

the second thought is that they robbed the 'clean-up' pile, after holidays, at the town's cemetery.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

It would be too much for me. However it seems carefully placed not just tossed or anything. I agree with the to each their own!
    kathy

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I think they are forgetting to add a percentage of plant material to their garden. I am not sure what the percentage of junque versus plants should be I just prefer my junque to be enveloped in flowers and pretty folige not looking like a yard sale.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

It reminds me of a little amusement park for elves. lol! Not my cup of tea but like others said to each their own. At least it isn't sloppy ... they do seem to take care in placing things in a semblence of order. I agree with goldenpond that flora tends to soften junk and make it more interesting. This yard would be more impressive amongst a lot of flowers.

We have a few yards like that around here. One even has huge items like a farm tractor, snowmobile and old car in their front yard (and their front yard isn't much bigger than that one).

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I think its a lot too much. LOL. I believe everyone should have yards that make them happy, but also respect others in the neighborhood and be more concientious what is out front. These folks obviously love whimsy, and are probably fun neighbors. But I'd want them to take it to the back, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Looks like she runs a day care & forgot to teach the kids to put the toys away at the end of the day!!LOL Too much for my taste!! Jan

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Good heavens! That's WAY over the top!!

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Sheesh, that's way too muuch for me too.

Donna in Florida

• mromep8
    15 years ago

I think she has some really cool things but nothing stands out because there is so much of it!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow...it would definitely be too much for me. I agree with mromep8...there's so much your eye can't focus on anything. Let's put it this way...I agree that folks should have the "to each his own" right in their own yards, but I'm glad I'm not next door!

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I like the lay out...or thought of it...How it semi circles in the front yard...

But I think you can take junk and put it in your garden artfully...

That is just trashy looking to me.

I would not want it.

patti

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Don't like it, wouldn't want it and wouldn't want to look at it every day...but I'd defend their right to do it.

tj

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

"There is a point where tastefuljunque>/i> and whimsical becomes overkill and tacky. This is definitely borderline for a front yard garden.

IMO, this ISN'T borderline, this is just plain tacky. I'd be ticked off if that was my neighbor.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Way too much for me also but it might look better once the leaves and flowers come out. A bit early in the season. Just glad I don't live across the street and have to look at it every day - I'd probably have to plant a hedge on my property line, a tall hedge! :-)

• Rusty
    15 years ago

"Don't like it, wouldn't want it and wouldn't want to look at it every day...but I'd defend their right to do it."

VERY well said, tj

Rusty

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

Yikes - glad I'm not their neighbor.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I'd be proud to be their neighbor! I have reached a point where I have to tell my friends that "NO, I don't need anymore garden art gifts!!! There's just too much now!!!" I am in the process of "letting go" of some of my older pcs to tidy up my place. The sad, but it was nice... back in the day stuff....And I am happy to report: DH now LIKES Garden Art!!!! He even saved our old green toilet after replacing it with a new low litre flush one!!!It was so cute, he was so excited to show me he saved it for the yard!!!lol! I didn't have the heart to tell him I am planning on smashing it for the shards!!!lol! Just this morning I was looking on my "saved" pics of Inspiration, and he spotted a mosaiced toilet and commented about ours again!!! lol! Too Funny!

• jillby49
    15 years ago

sometimes " more" is just more. too much for me, but if it makes them happy -- i'm wondering where's waldo?

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

hey Calamity, would you please post a picture of what is
    "no, I don't need any more garden gifts"

I'd like to see a point of 'too much'...
    cuz, I don't think there is such a thing...lol

when people say "less is more"...I strongly disagree....
    I totally believe that "less is less" and more's the better...

no, I won't post a picture of my front yard..I was turned into the county, by my next door neighbors.
    they have a perfectly pristine, landscaped yard...and built a fence, (8 foot lumber and lattice, and stained it,) so they couldn't see my 'yard art' any more.

the guy from the county office was here yesterday...lol
    I told him I should press charges on them, for being
    a couple of "peeping toms" damm yankees!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Live and let live I say. But that's easy for me cuz I've got the umm, shall we say, "least bland" house on my street, lol.
    kathy

• cherchez
    15 years ago

Whoa.
    It looks like the junque truck backed up and dumped in their yard.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Yes, I agree with their right to do it, but I'm glad they are not my neighbor!

Looks like a dormant time of year, but I don't see how plants could help even, Just too much going on ... paths that lead nowhere, etc. And junk lined up across the yard. Faded by the sun and weather. How unsightly! Not for my tastes, this isn't curb appeal, and at the very least should be in the back yard.

We had a city court case recently when a woman had a couple of manequins out in her yard, and some kind of sign that she got somewhere kinda like a collectible sign. Anyhow, after months of the neighbors and city picking on her, the only ordinance she was violating was some kind of silly sign law, so she had to take the sign down, but not the manequins. It was her right, and I'm glad they didn't intimidate her into submission. I was on her side all along, even a manequin in your front yard, and one on the roof wouldn't be what I would call a desirable neighbor, lol .... :-)

~tenderlee

• wiley0
    15 years ago

The only thing missing is a lighted Xmas tree.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I see you Wiley...nice to see you post...

• amesly
    15 years ago

Looks like the local Goodwill store barfed in the front yard. But I wouldn't mind being their neighbour, because by default my yard would look amazing! ;)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

HAHA I just stolled around my sons neighborhood and saw a lighted Christmas tree in the neighbor's window!!!!!!!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Well two thoughts come to mind. One is at Christmas time I have seen yards completely filled with stuff. No one complains then(-:
    The other thing was like someone mentioned maybe when the trees fill out etc you won't see it as much?
    But, I am glad I am not their neighbor either(-: A little less would be nice(-:

• donnainnc_2008
    15 years ago

first I defend their right to decorate but that is too much for such a small area and needs a decorators touch(LOL) but think I would move some to the back yard like I have I had way too much in my front yard

• caliloo
    15 years ago

OMG - aren't there zoning laws against that? It is awful!

Alexa

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

All I like is the little angel, otherwise it's clutter. I always think about a project long and hard before I put it in my yard. There are a lot of neat things to make or find, but if it clutters the yard, it gets lost in the chaos, plus it's a pain in the bottom to mow around.
    Their yard is very small and all that stuff makes it even smaller. Not my cup of tea at all.

• enjoyingspring
    15 years ago

I would not want to be living next door to that and trying to sell my house. To me it brings down the value of all homes around it. Just my opinion

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

That's so cute that they made the little stream under the bridge!! I also wonder if her neighbors steal pieces of her art sometimes?? or his?? Is that a bottle bug up there? And looky at the toy car with the koala or something in the drivers seat! cool :D Looks like they're keeping the weeds and grass short, so they're taking care of the place. And I bet whoever lives there sure is happy and a joy to be around.
    kudzu

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will follow up shortly as the green stuff fills in. I do know that the owners plant a lot of bulbs, and plant a lot of annuals. This house is just around the corner from my daughter's house (about 10 minutes away from me..thanks Be). They also change out the stuffies according to the seasons (?). As they say in France.."Chaque un son gout". (To each his own taste).
    Will take another shot this week. It may look more whimsical as the greenery comes up.

• littledog
    15 years ago

I'm at least a half mile away from my neighbors on all sides, but even if I weren't, it wouldn't bother me to have them live next door. I can think of many, many things I have seen people put in their front yard that are no where near as pleasant as a collection of resin garden art.

It obviously makes them happy, and in my experience, happy neighbors are the easiest to get along with.

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

took another look at your photo. Maybe it's the dormant or dead trees, but I still just can't bring myself to think it looks neat. I agree about the Overboard on the Christmas lights and decorations. I don't use lights outside, just a few small spotlights on a few windows.

• neesie
    15 years ago

Even though it's not my taste it does look like the homeowner is a joyful person. I wouldn't mind living next to someone who celebrates being alive. It's the grinch I'm wary of.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I see an inspiration!!! I have spotted a Humpty Dumpty and now I want to make my own!!! Yup, A Hypertufa Humpty!!! Sitting on a brick wall(I love bricks and have enough to do a wall for him!!) He may not be in the front yard, but he'll be in my yard somewhere...and that is after I make the "Throne Chair" out of styrofoam and toilet shards!!! I wonder what Ya'll be saying bout me!?!?!Ha Ha!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I've also decided to place the house numbers on my finished creation as a "Thank You"/in honor of their inspiration!!! Jane

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Calamity Jane you are a riot! I just went back and looked at it again. I had totally missed the humpty, which is some folks point about "too much."
    kathy

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I like this guy...Did I mention my "Humpty was pushed!" pin???!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:137897}}