Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robolady_gw

This week's project, Shutter birdhouse

robolady
17 years ago

I added this as my project of the week this week. I've been working on it for some time, But it finally came together and I finished it last week.

{{gwi:137958}}

Comments (14)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I love it! Need more details and more close up pics please. What size were the shutters, what did you use for the roof, where did you find the spindles on front, etc. etc. etc. ;o) Luvs

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

It's beautiful :) I think you did an excellent job ,You must have a great stash !!

• robolady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I do have a great stash. The shutters are 20" tall and 8" deep. The roof is a torn up, short garden fence, i purchased at a garage sale. It's one of those portable ones that you just stick in the ground. It had a lot of pickets, many that are now part of my stash. The spindles on the front are from an old crib i picked up at a junk place.

Here's the 411:
    I took two shutters I had, and basically used them to determine the scale of the birdhouse I made the shutters into the sides of the house, I used scrap wood as a base and back to the birdhouse and nailed the 4 pieces together. Then I found an old triangle shaped birdhouse in my "junk Pile" and nailed it to the top, above the shutters to make the roof slant shape, It already had the Triangle Shape I needed. I used a picture frame for the front with scrap wood nailed in behind it. Then I attached small scale Garden fencing for the roof. Painted it out and added the brass plate as embelishment, also purchased at a garage sale. The spindles and gingerbread and Finial are from my stash and also purchased at Flea markets or Garage Sales.

So to summarize, Make a box, put a triangle on top and then a roof, embelish and you are done.:)

You can see this project and more at my web site below

Here is a link that might be useful: My stuff

• spudmom_gw
    17 years ago

Holey Moley!!! I even have two shutters left screwed to the fence, the other one disintegrated this winter! I have spindles too, a project in the making!

Your birdhouse is just beautiful. What classy birds you must have in your neighborhood.

Lynne

• textilejo
    17 years ago

Wow, I love it!! I have spindles but I'm still looking for shutters for one of my window projects now I need to find even more:-)

Thanks for sharing!

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

That is totally awesome. Our local nursery is having a birdhouse building contest. Yours would place #1 really beautiful!!!!!

• cait1
    17 years ago

GORGEOUS!!! Pic and instructions saved. Definitely a project on the ever-growing 'to-do' list! You've done a brilliant job!
    Cait

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Love the birdhouse!!!!!!!!

Great website, too!!

Maria

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Margo, you always come up with the most fantastic stuff. I've got four of those shutters I found and have been wondering what to do with them, now I know - thanks for the info.

Sal

• coppertop367
    17 years ago

How cute is that!! You are a very talented lady...

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Ditto!! Beeautiful. I would love to come see your stash!!!

• robolady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ya'll are so sweet. I was inspired by some that I saw at a flea market. They make this one look like a 2yr old made it. But they were also priced over $100.00, so Mine is fine for me.
    Glad to provide inspiration, that is why I do this.

Here is a link that might be useful: My online Journal

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

Very pretty! I love that it's a bigger size.

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Just LOVE your birdhouse. You are very talented!