Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mla2ofus

I need some ideas

mla2ofus
9 years ago

I want to make some metal hose guides so we don't drag the hose over the flowers. DH is a welder and has lots of different rods and square tubing. I just need to come up with something that he could weld on top the stake so the hose doesn't slip over it and I won't poke my face on it when I'm weeding. I saw one really when nice one when I googled it. It was an old fancy glass door knob. I'm sure I can find used modern style knobs but other than painting them, what could I do to make them unique. I would love to hear your ideas.

Comments (12)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Maybe if he could weld a stop on the metal to keep the hose from riding too far up the post. Then leave the stop far enough down you could slip a pretty mosaic bottle over it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe some thing like this.

• marylee_2010
    9 years ago

I went into the link. There are some very interesting things there. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

I've never really figured out a good solution to the hose guard problem. I have some of those foot long nail shaped spikes stuck through small upside down flower pots (thru the drainage hole in the center). But they have their limitations, being not quite the right shape. I'm very curious to hear what others have come up with.
    (Lucky you to have a welder in the family!)
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog not for this post I'm just promoting it lol

• gardenper
    9 years ago

It probably will do better with a round tubing, even something like 2-3" PVC pipe. On the outside, you can paint or decorate it to make it look more interesting in your yard.

The commercial ones also roll when the hose touches it, but I'm not sure if that would strictly be necessary.

• mla2ofus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful, Shades. I don't have a way to get any colored bottles. I've even checked at the bars. The bars around here do not carry wine bottles and those are the colored ones, I guess.
    I was thinking that round 1/2" or even 3/4" re-bar. That way he could weld a large washer about 12 inches from the bottom and I could slip PVC pipe over it that would turn when we drug the hose on it. I think I can find some used closet door knobs, the ones without the locking mechanism. Some ideas I've come up with is maybe painting them a bright color and gluing butterfly's or dragon fly's on the top. I even thought of having him weld decorative metal fence finials on top.

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

I like your idea. Be sure to post a pic.
    If you put a finial on top beware of pointy. Nasty injury possible if you fall on it!
    Kathy

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Love the idea of decorative finials on the top.

I do like the idea of the PVC turning on the post. I think that could be helpful and hide the rebar.

Another direction might be to have hubby weld leaves curving down to keep the hose from riding up the post. Then do a cool flower on the top of the post.

My husband can weld but we no longer have the equipment to do it. I wish I wish we still did. I do have a friend that can weld for me if I do not ask too often.

• mla2ofus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am really lucky as DH main hobby is welding. He has made me 2 trellis. an arbor, and several things all out of salvaged things.

• 1wanderer
    9 years ago

I found an old stair rail spindle thingy and painted it up. Stuck a length of rebar in the bottom and jammed it into the garden. Topped it with a 'bug' and voila! You can see it to the left of the big rock.
    Worked great and looked great too!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I think the old telephone wire glass insulators would look great.

• atokadawn
    9 years ago

Bars have the pretty blue beer bottles now. I get mine from the VFW.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I did not do these for hose guides. More just for fun but they would work on top of your rebar to keep from poking your eye out.

I just glued some glass bits to the bottoms of the small bud vases I did a few for my tiny patio flower beds. They are held up by rebar.