Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainydaywoman_z8

Raised Bed

rainydaywoman_z8
10 years ago

Any suggestions for making a raised bed using cheap or reclaimed materials for my front yard that is more attractive than a regular wooden box? It should be about 4' x 8' or a bit smaller.

Comments (6)

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Blue bottles? mosaicked cement blocks?
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I love them. Even bottle trees!
    Kathy

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

LOL Well how about the mosaic cinder blocks with bottle trees at the four corners. Go big or go home. LOL :^)

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! I'll have to think about those suggestions. I cannot find many blue bottles, tho.

• Shades_of_idaho
    10 years ago

Another thought is doing a plate border around the outside edge. If you are in freeze thaw country this will not work as the plates come apart in the snow and cold. Unless they are glass plates. I can picture color glass plates glued to the sides of a cinder block raised bed. I would put them upside down so the bottoms show. I am doing a little of this on my hallway wainscot I am working on.

I have not done this yet but working on gathering those silly white bud vases. they are just the right size to stick over re-bar. I was thinking of using silicone to stick one of those big fat on one side colored glass globs to the bottom and poking them in around the yard just for spots of color. Maybe I should do a few for my new little patio garden flower beds. They need some junk.

The bottles do not have to be blue to be pretty. There are some wonderful green ones and pretty shaped wine bottles too.

• texaspuddyprint
    10 years ago

Ah blue bottles! Love them! Fortunately my sister in law and I both like Bartenura Moscato which conveniently comes in a blue glass bottle :o) I have a nice collection of about 40 so far!!!!