Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Bed

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 16:21

Any suggestions for making a raised bed using cheap or reclaimed materials for my front yard that is more attractive than a regular wooden box? It should be about 4' x 8' or a bit smaller.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Bed

Blue bottles? mosaicked cement blocks?
Kathy

o

I love them. Even bottle trees!
Kathy

o

LOL Well how about the mosaic cinder blocks with bottle trees at the four corners. Go big or go home. LOL :^)

o

Wow! I'll have to think about those suggestions. I cannot find many blue bottles, tho.

o

Another thought is doing a plate border around the outside edge. If you are in freeze thaw country this will not work as the plates come apart in the snow and cold. Unless they are glass plates. I can picture color glass plates glued to the sides of a cinder block raised bed. I would put them upside down so the bottoms show. I am doing a little of this on my hallway wainscot I am working on.

I have not done this yet but working on gathering those silly white bud vases. they are just the right size to stick over re-bar. I was thinking of using silicone to stick one of those big fat on one side colored glass globs to the bottom and poking them in around the yard just for spots of color. Maybe I should do a few for my new little patio garden flower beds. They need some junk.

The bottles do not have to be blue to be pretty. There are some wonderful green ones and pretty shaped wine bottles too.

o

Ah blue bottles! Love them! Fortunately my sister in law and I both like Bartenura Moscato which conveniently comes in a blue glass bottle :o) I have a nice collection of about 40 so far!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here