Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwahlton

How high should birdbaths be?

jwahlton
12 years ago

First of all I'd like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum. This is my first time posting here. I've loved looking at all of the photos. I especially like the flowers and will try my hand at making some as Mother's Day gifts.

But I found a cool iron plant stand, that's about 2-3' tall and a beautiful serving bowl that fits perfectly on it. Is that too short for a birdbath? I'm sure it's personal taste, but should it be taller than that for birds? I can always use the bowl and stand for something else!

TIA

Julia

Comments (12)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Welcome jwahlton! I think your stand and bowl sound just perfect for a birdbath! I have several in my gardens and they are of varying heights and the birds don't seem to mind a bit. I even have one that is only about 18" tall and the butterflies love that one! Post a picture if you can...we LOVE pictures!

• jlily
    12 years ago

Welcome to Garden Junk. There are many talented people here that keep us all working to make new things for our gardens. Stay around and enjoy!! Jlily

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I have a number of bowls and saucers all over the place at varying heights because we have a drought in progress. The birds don't mind and we have discovered that birds will investigate them and choose the one best suited to their size. We've decided they are so entertaining that we'll keep them around even after we get rains.

Our neighbors have outdoor cats so we make sure they can't get to them easily.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

We have put rocks in and around the sides of various vessels to provide perches and steps to assist them. We also have low hanging tree branches and wet birds can easily jump up to a branch when wet. Some of the smaller birds move to sheltered spots between the rocks. The larger saucers have attracted some huge jays. We have also seen deer and squirrels drinking from them. No rain for nearly 80 days is a real problem.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

80 days? The last measurable precipitation at my house was in Sept.

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of the bowl I bought. I thought it was pretty, but perhaps it's too deep? It's like a big bowl you put out to serve spaghetti

{{gwi:138137}}

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Very pretty bowl,is it flat on the bottom, can't tell from the pic. By that I mean 3 in.high sides & then same all across the bottom or does it go to 6 in deep in center? I got a "free" 1 for renewing Birds & Bloom magazine several years ago & it has a mosaic hummingbird center & that is on a glass dish & set in wrought iron frame-very nice & birds love it. About 3 in. deep in center. Smaller birds bath around the edges but the mourning doves,scrub jays & larger birds like to wade to middle-sometimes gingerly(fun to watch) & then really take the plunge & get soaked,arbor & latticework & apple trees nearby. A large cat can get paws on the rim & drink as I managed to catch 1 at it few years ago. Squirrel was up on edge of it couple of days ago,drinking, 1st time I've seen that. Your's looks like a flat rock about 4-5 in. long & 2 in. thick with rough top might give smaller birds little safer feel if it is deeper in center, If 6 in. deep larger rock might fill in center & leave enough water on top to make most birds happy. Jan

• jwahlton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes it is flat on the bottom and about 3" deep

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Perfect size for the birds but I would add a flat rock 4-6 in across for less venturous birds. Your plant stand sounds perfect with it. I add a copper fitting 1 in. size with threads so it is pretty heavy. I had just a piece of cut pipe/or the straight piece that joins 2 pipes, I've forgotten but anyway it was light enough for a bird to think it was perfect for it's nest. I finally found it about a year later on the side of the house when digging for sprinkler pipe. I find if I put the copper in water it gets a lot less slimy & since it is very hot here that is a help,Still clean it & birdbath often, almost every day.Jan

• User
    12 years ago

The bowl is beautiful. Please post a picture when you put it in your yard/garden.

• cjtuttle48
    8 years ago

I have recently enjoyed making bird baths from vases, lamp bases and candle stands and have learned with each one. My first one is the one I love the most, but it really isn't feasible for a birdbath, as it is too high of a bowl. right now it is just yard art, although I've seen the birds go to it trying to find something.