Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Garden Junk Container Plantings for Spring!

jeannespines
11 years ago

I love 'galvanized' tubs & whiskey barrels ...so here's how it's going this Spring:

At my Garden Shed: Washtub w/Perennials planted w/ 'Live Forever' sedum is up & Dianthsus (sp?) ...the birdhse is one I painted some yrs ago ...& the Dutch shoes 'wintered over' ok outside w/Hen & Chicks:

{{gwi:138528}}

Closeup of Dutch shoes...there's a new 'baby' in the left one:

{{gwi:138529}}

At the other end of garden shed, I planted up my Tipsy Buckets again...I'm hoping for good results ...here's Dusty Miller & Lobelia in bottom tub:

{{gwi:138530}}

These 'Magenta' Petunias can handle cold to 28 deg ...so I planted:

{{gwi:138532}}

And here's a full view of my Tipsy Buckets...one of my fave garden vignettes!

{{gwi:138533}}

I'm hoping in a couple months it will look as good as it did this yr:

{{gwi:138534}}

And here's another whiskey barrel (a new one last Fall) & it held 'water' so good all Winter that it killed my perennials I had re-planted from the old whiskey barrel that fell apart when we moved it while residing house. So DH drilled some holes for me & I've replanted w/Coral Bells & Hostas & an one annual...that's an old Corn Sheller behind it:

{{gwi:138535}}

Happy Gardening, GJers! Jeanne S.

Comments (13)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Your galvanized tub looks like a fairy garden with the birdhouse inside! Very cute. Love the whiskey barrel and the two statues with water...never seen any just like those. And your tipsy buckets are going to be beautiful I'll bet. I've got to revamp mine this year...getting shadier where I have them, so I need to rethink the plants.

Thanks for the inspiration!

• jlily
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your lovely plantings. It looks like it will be a beautiful spring and summer at your house. JLily

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! I just found a dutch shoe in my basement and I am going to place it in the garden too. We had a wholesale tree nursery/greenhouse when I was growing up. The Holland Bulb salesman would bring stuff like that when he did his sales rounds. I wonder if I have more in the attic!! I love galvanized steel anything. I love love your ideas

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

love the dusty miller with the petunias. too bad i already sowed my container plantings. maybe some of them won't germinate and i'll have an excuse to go buy some dusty miller!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

It all looks great !!1 I have been working on mine today but this is my second go around.It is hot in texas I had Laura Bush petunia planted in them they where getting leggy now I am doing something else .

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, GJers! I've seen some GJer's planting in those really cute rubber polka dot boots lately! & also those garden Crocs! I think those ideas are kind of cute!

Nanatricia...I have trouble keeping Petunias going all summer here in IA, too...sometimes have to change out...but my Tipsy Buckets have done good ...of course, they get fertilized & watered quite frequently. Have you tried Million Bells yet? They have done good for me, too!

Happy planting days ahead (let's hope)...lots of rainy days here & cool ...but warmer forecast for last half of the week! Jeanne S.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I like all your garden junk.I have 2 galvanized tubs,one holds tomatoes,and the other iris's.Need to put some filler plants in the iris one.

I used to come here all the time,and somehow i strayed away,guess you could say life got in the way! Glad i decided to come back again.
    Kathi

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Your plantings look great. I just love the water feature one, the couple look so cute in that setting.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's dirt, oldcrafty...no water feature. ;-)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Did you drill holes in the containers and thread them on a rod for the tipsy buckets? I totally love that and have a ton of galvanized containers laying around that would work perfect! Thanks for the idea. Man am I going to be busy next week.
    Tally HO!

• suprneko
    11 years ago

Oh gosh they all look great, I especially love the tipsy buckets!

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Jeanne, your tipsy pot photo from last year is exceptional! The way you created 'running and splashing water' with the light turquoise beads and the foliage in the bottom tub of the same color is perfect! I love it! Will you plant again this year using the same plants?

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, GJ'ers!
    Yes, drilled holes (rusted out anyway) in galvanized buckets & used electrical conduit for the rod.

I'm also using some 'galvanized' tubs in the veggie garden this yr...we'll see how they do (drilled holes bottoms also)

Spedigrees...this is a diff Petunia this yr...name is in a pic up above...here they are ...1 month later...doing great! I have to water tho ...we had a dry month, too...so I am very happy w/how they are doing! TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:138536}}

{{gwi:138538}}

Same plants in the bottom as last yr ...Dusty Miller & Lobelia...supposed to look like 'water splashing!' ;-)