Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Another BB.

tiffy_z5_6_can
17 years ago

Just thought you folks might like to see this one. Having trouble getting on the SG&M forum - been trying for three days and it's a no-go - and Ijust have to show it to someone. He just might be my first studio sold baby. Brought it to the studio the other day and they want to see me with him tomorrow and talk possibilities.

The grout was actually dark charcoal but turned out much lighter. A bit disappointed on that. Otherwise I think he's a cuty for the gardens! Anyways, here's Elf!!

{{gwi:138610}}

{{gwi:138611}}

Nicole.

Comments (17)

• bigack
    17 years ago

Wow, that's wonderful! You did a great job, and it's so shiny! I'm having trouble getting on the KT and Photography, sure hope they get it fixed soon.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful - just lovely. You do those so well. What is the red glass? I have some cherry red, transparent glass 3/4" tiles from Mosaictilearts. Are these the same? They really show up well in this ball. This w/be a wonderful sparkle in your garden.

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

Wow that is so pretty. You did a beautiful job with that. I really like mosiacing the bowling balls. And they look so pretty in the garden(-:

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

"Very nice" really very, very nice. What do you mean "the studio" and they want to talk.

Sal

• jlily
    17 years ago

That is a wonderful addition for your garden. the colors are wonderful. Thank you for sharing!!Jlily

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Wow! No one would ever know that was a bowling ball! How do you get it so smooth?? Wow!! I love it! Fantastic job!

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Awesome, Tiffy!

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Spectacular job the colors look so fresh and that garden faerie(elf) is the perfect touch .Hope to see pics of it in the ysrd

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

That's one of the most beautiful bowling balls I've seen.
    You did a fantastic job.
    The forums with the THS server have had a problem for several days and so frustrating. Wish they'd get it fixed, lot of us having withdrawl symptoms. LOL Thank heavens GJ is on a different server!

Karen

• Bright199
    17 years ago

He came out beautiful... It would be hard to sell!! I hope they give you big $$$!. I'm glad you posted it.. I am having withdrawls from the Stained glass forum.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Slow, the red is stained glass which is textured with little 'waves'. It wasn't a solid red all the way through, but also orange. I tried to use only the red out of that particular glass because I had a great orange in another glass.

Sal, I brought the ball to show to the one and only mosaicer I know in these parts who works at a stained glass store. They have a store/studio when you enter where they sell finished items, and then in the back they have a huge workshop where they keep the glass, kilns, cutters, tumblers, etc and have classes. The owner has expressed interest in my work in terms of featuring it in the store/studio in the past and this time she called me at home, so... I'll see.

Kudzukween, The glass pieces are small, I just nip them until I'm happy with the size and then start gluing. Means more work, but I like it.

Bright199,
    I have had a hard time parting with the BBs I've made, but right now I have 8 and am starting #9 so I think it's time to start. Don't worry, the price will have to be right! :)

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Tiffy - oh wow, good luck on "showing" your "art" at the studio. Clap, clap, clap, clap!!!1

Sal

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Elf is just darling. Love all the colors. I would have thought charcoal gray would have been darker too but Elf looks pretty perfect to me.

Hope he sells for you. I made a penny ball last year & love it. I have 1 more bowling ball & I plan on mosaicing it. I like the elf sitting on top. I think I may add a frog to mine.

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

that's just the prettiest ball and love the glass.
    is it unsanded grout?
    and also gotta ask what kind of adhesive did you use?

and is it protected for the outside elements?

it's so much prettier than traveling down an old bowling lane!!....lol

Becky .(*_*).

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sal, Thanks! Went over this afternoon and we will be talking more early in the week. Looks good!

Cacbeary, I'm making another right now where the girth of the ball has 6 little sailboats. I do have a seagull which I could place on top, but have decided to make a topless ball for once. A frog with an abstract design would be nice. Have you thought of what design you're going to place on the ball?

Becky, The adhesive is GE Silicone ll and I use sanded grout. It will be protected from the outside elements. I have a sample board where I'll be trying out a water sealant made for cement, driveways, wood, etc. Even with the sealant, the ball shouldn't be left outdoors in the winter since here the temps can go from -20C to +10C in 24 hours.

One of the guys at work bowls all the time and he gets a kick out of what I do with BBs. He's also amazed at how big and heavy these balls are. We only have the alleys which feature the small balls.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Just adorable! Loved seeing it over here too!

Hazie

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

would love to see this one, catching up on old posts...