Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Teal Crystal Plate Flower

becky_ia
16 years ago

I just fell in love with this teal colored plate. Had to pay $3 for just the one, but it is iridescent and just glimmers. I knew I couldn't sell this one. This one is going in my garden!

Becky

{{gwi:138678}}

Comments (26)

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Ok girl.... I'm comming shopping with you and then you can teach me how you put them together!!!! I would keep this one for sure!!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Becky, that teal plate is gorgeous. And what a perfect design on it for a flower. Well worth the price I'd say.

I am about ready to forget ever gluing anything together. I've had the worst run of luck buying the silicone we all use. Keep getting "old" glue I guess. Wasted money on about 3 tubes, all from Walmart over the last few months.
    Guess that tells me something, huh?

Wondering if I should buy the larger size and the 'gun' to try and use. I want to do mosaics on fairy house, a bowling ball, and totems. I've never tried the larger version, just buy the little tubes. No trouble with any last year, but not so lucky now.

hugs, Karen

• donnainnc_2008
    16 years ago

beautiful just beautiful

donna in nc

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Karen, I would take that glue back to Walmart for a refund!!! That worries me I have a small tube from there that I just started using. Only had one bad one from Lowes of the big tubes I think it had been exposed to heat cause the date on the tube was good.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Very nice plate flower. You say the place shimmers - is it "carnival glass" (which is antique)?

Sal

• daisyme
    16 years ago

Becky, that's so pretty! You will enjoy that for years to come! You have a great eye to have seen how pretty that would be!

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I want to make some glass ones!
    So far I just experimented with
    plastic plates, a couple of years ago.

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Bright, in the past I had no trouble buying the GE glue at Walmart. Just the last couple of tubes it seems. Guess I should have returned them. Soon as you squeeze it out, you can tell if its 'old' I think. At least on mine I could.
    I'm still thinking I might try using the gun thing with the larger version of the GE. For a lot of gluing, would probably end up easier on me from what I've heard about it.

hugs, Karen

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why not try drilling a hole in the center of the plate and attaching with a screw & nut instead of glueing? Use a drill bit that is make for glass and tile. It works great.

• huntermom
    16 years ago

Purplemoon, sorry about your luck with GE II, I use the large tubes and I have tried 3 different ones and it just doesn't feel right (and won't stick...stuff just slides around) I have been using the small tubes of Liquid Nails to much more success. I thought I wasn't doing something right. It is much easier to use the "caulking" gun, but can't find the large tubes of Liquid Nails Clear.:(

• ibeleive
    16 years ago

The flower is gorgeous. Do you think with a diamond drill bit you could drill holes? Also, I can tell from the picture what is the center of the flower made from? It looks like a knob inside a cup. I would love to put a small intimate garden area of these close to my pond.

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Purplemoon-
    I've been using a silicone (sorry, it's upstairs) from Family Dollar.
    I think it attaches much better-

I love the blue flower! I'd probably pay $3 for one, also!!

• junknstuf
    16 years ago

i used liquid nails on a bowling ball & after the second year the marbles are falling off bad. The ones I did with household or automotive goop are holding up fine. Had one for 4 yrs. now & has been outside the whole time in central Illinois winters. "B"

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The inside of the flower is a small round glass candle holder. Inside the center, I added a flower from an earring. I use all kinds of old jewelry to embellish my flowers.

You could try a diamond tip. i asked my husband about the drill bits we used, and he said they weren't diamond tips...but carbide tips.

Becky

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

AWESOME, Becky! I love the teal colors and love the idea that you also incorporate jewelry into the glass flowers! Can see why your sales are going good...keep up the great work and enjoy! Jeanne S.
    p.s. We're bound to run into each other one of these days. My DH & I are doing FM at Cedar Falls starting this Sat.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Where is the FM and what do you sell? I would love to meet up with you sometime!

Becky

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Becky - FM is Farmer's Market on Clay & 3rd St. in Cedar Falls...this Sat., May 3rd, from 8:30 - noon. We got a spot for the summer but will not be there EVERY Sat. This is an experiment for us...we tried it 3X last yr. and it went good (temp spot). Look for woodworking...mostly recycled barnwood items... photography cards. In the past we've done a couple a year...so we'll see how it goes. I also shop at the Greene, Ia. festival. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

All my totems I did a year or two ago are holding up fine with the GE Silicone II. So I think I'll stick with it. I just had a run of bad luck at Walmart, hopefully. I bought a large tube and caulking gun at H.D. to try. I've used liquid nails outside and it doesn't hold up well for me. We have such dry heat, not to mention so many days over 100 that it's ridiculous (May thru Oct), that may be the problem at times.
    The date on this big tube of GE says good till Nov., will see how it does I guess.

Karen

• garianntx
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love the teal color!

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I was a marketeer/vendor last year at Greene. i also did one of the workshops...mosaicing a bowling ball. I plan to be there again this year, so YES we are bound to run into each other at some point in time.
    Becky

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Becky,
    I have to admit, when I saw the earlier posting with a bunch of your other flowers, I wasn't sure if they were my "thing". But I fell in love with this teal one - so much so that I have been anxiously waiting for a chance to either garage sale or hit GW. Well, I hit paydirt today, so I will be hopefully making some flowers this weekend. I also found a gorgeous cobalt blue and another purple salad plate, that I think I will try as the back "petal". We'll see.

Also, as a side note, I got 3 of the cone shaped hanging planters, the ones filled with the brown stuff - I can't think of what its called, but you put dirt in and plant your hanging baskets, for CHEAP!! (I'm too young to have memory lapses like this!!) Anyway, I'm going to paint them and either put fabric around them or wires and beads, and put a hanging light bulb in the center for my daughter's room. Once I get started, I'll set up a post.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Once you make your first one, I think you will be "hooked!" Sounds like you hit the jack pot today. Is't that fun?! Please be sure to post a picture after you create your masterpiece. We will all be anxiously waiting it's arrival!

• meadel
    15 years ago

Here you are Becky! I just love these plate flowers. If I ever come to IA. I'm stopping by!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Nice Plate!!! I have only clear irridecent ones like that. I've been excited about garage sailing this weekend, and will be looking for some totem glass things...

• shysue
    15 years ago

Love the teal color. Beautiful dish flower!

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Becky,
    GRRRRR. So, you know I got the plates/bowls stuff to make my plate flowers. Stopped by Lowes on the way home from work on Friday to get copper pipe, and the glass/tile drill bits. The first 2 I drilled worked well, a little chipping, but nothing big, but I was using a cordless drill so it was pretty slow. The next day, I started again, and used an electric drill. Broke one of the cute little dishes then started the next plate and my drill bit broke!!!! 3 holes, that's all I got out of it!!! Also, I couldn't find my copper pipe anywhere. The ex was over and thought I wouldn't use that so he just took it home with him!!! I was getting upset thinking someone had come up to the house and stolen my pipe right out in front of the windows!!
    What brand of drill bits do you guys use and is there a trick to it, cause they are too stinkin' expensive to break every time I drill 3 holes!

thanks,

Kelly

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting