Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

How to build a potting bench

ssdarb
10 years ago

I want to build a potting bench and I was searching GW for some ideas. I came across tasymo's potting bench which was made from an old enameled sink. I'm not terribly handy, but I want to try. I know where I can get an old sink for not too much money. How do I make the base? Can someone give me some instructions or hints? I've built shelves in my garage before, so I am hoping I can do this.

Before picture of tasymo's potting bench:

Comments (5)

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After picture of tasymo's potting bench:

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Well, I'm not exactly sure how Tasymo built hers, but some basics would be to first measure your sink....length and width. If you want your top to be like hers, then I think you'll just need to build a "shell" around the base of the sink. A rectangle top for the sink to rest on. Then, decide how tall you want it...what height feels best for you to work in. It looks as though she used all 2x4's except for the two back shelves. Make a simple drawing with your measurements on it and then you can either take it to the lumber yard and have them help you figure how much lumber you need or you can add it all up yourself. Use treated lumber. You'll have to cut your pieces to length, then start putting it together. Build the table part first. Put the diagonal pieces in for support. Then attach the long pieces at the back that will form the base for your shelves. Put a 2x4 or 2x6 across the back behind where the sink will go for support as well. Then set your sink. It actually looks like it just sits on top of the "table" part. Then, she has a 2x4 across the back upright pieces to help give the back support. If you want to use pretty shelf brackets for the shelves, fine, or you can just repeat the same triangle support like the bottom part.

Then, attach all the bling you want to!

Hope that helps.

• tasymo
    10 years ago

Hi Strayer! Welcome to Garden Junk!
    My Brother actually built the potting bench as you see it in the first picture. All I can tell you is that he used mostly left over treated lumber (mainly 2x4's) and an old enameled sink he found while junking. My husband constructed the back and bottom shelves using treated 2x4's and 2x8's. We didn't use a "plan", just a rough sketch that I made. I found the cast iron brackets at Hobby Lobby, and the old door knobs at a flea market, that I painted with enamel spray paint. The wood was painted with outdoor enamel paint. The Cast iron grates were a yard sale find that I purchased long before the potting bench came along. They just happened to suit my vision. Good luck with your bench!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Nice to see this again. Its beautiful.
    Kathy

• psbjmb
    10 years ago

tasymo - your potting bench is so beautiful! I hope to make one myself one of these days (sigh, lots of stuff on that list - hope those days come soon, lol)

I found the attached link from a blog I follow - it might be useful for a slightly different approach to building the bench - this one doesn't have a sink top, but you would just build the bottom frame the size for the sink to fit. Depending on the style of sink, you might want to provide additional supports from front to back.

I have a smaller sink by my shed - a single bowl wall mount type. It fits perfectly on top of one of my old cast iron sewing machine bases. That's also on the 'one of these days' list to attach it properly and hook up a hose to it.

Patty

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrifty Decor Chick - potting bench

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor