Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmlanza

My1st silverware windchime and a surprise...

rmlanza
16 years ago

Hey all. I finished up my first silverware windchime last night. I had a lot of fun pounding those spoons flat! I like it but I don't love it. It does make a beautiful sound though. I think next time I might use all spoons. The star thing at the top is actually a tealight holder I got at Pier 1 years ago and never really used. I have another one just like it so I figured I could spare this one...

{{gwi:138813}}

And this was just a little surprise I found. I posted it on r_murray's thread about his newest birdhouse on the T2T forum but thought I'd post it here, too. I call it "mundane to treasure" as it's not trash but our working propane tank under our deck we use in the winter for the gas fireplace. In the spring it becomes a birdhouse. I don't know what kind of birds though, anyone recognize those brown and white speckled eggs?

{{gwi:138815}}

{{gwi:138816}}

{{gwi:138817}}

Robin

Comments (12)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

I like your windchimes, nice job. And that star topper is great. Much better use for it than a mundane tealight holder, LOL. I've got to learn to think 'out of the box' on things like this, my imagination needs a serious overhaul.

hugs, Karen

• daisyme
    16 years ago

Well, YOU might not LOVE your windchime, but I do! I especially love the way you used the beading to hang the silverware. Nice job!

• kat4kittens2002
    16 years ago

love the windchimes. you did a great job!

kathy

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I made one for a gift once, similiar to that...I used purples and teals in my beads...and hung a pretty tea cup in the middle for the spoons to ting against.

She loved it...and I've always wished I'd make myself one.

I think you did a great job on it.

Do the same birds come back every year and nest there?

I used to have a Robin that would come up every year and nest on top of an old metal barn window I have hanging on my porch. She quit coming back...I don't know if something happened to her or she just couldn't take it with us coming in and out right by her.

I don't know what the eggs are.

patti

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I might adjust the windchime some and remove the beads that sit up on top of the star, not sure you can see that from the picture but they look kind of odd up there.

Patti, I love the idea of using a teacup. Did you have any trouble drilling holes in it or did you just tie string to the handle? I think using a teacup as the top hanger part (where my star tealight is) would be awesome. But I'm kind of afraid to drill holes in one. Maybe a thick one like a Fiestaware cup, I have a ton of those we don't use (too small for coffee and we're not hot tea drinkers).

This is at least the 2nd year that we've had birds in the propane tank. I don't see the birds though because it's under my deck and I can't see it from inside the house. My water spigot is right next to the tank and once I was under there turning on the water and the bird flew out right past my head. But it was so fast and I was so startled that I didn't see what kind of bird it was. I imagine it's something small though, although the eggs are about the same size as robin's eggs so I don't know. I'll have to research it.

thanks again for all the nice comments on my chimes!
    Robin

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

Unfortunately that looks like a house sparrow's nest to me!

I like the star topper also!

Arlene

• jules127
    16 years ago

It is a sparrow's nest!!! :)

• garianntx
    16 years ago

Very nice wind chime! I have some flower frogs that I've been meaning to use for wind chimes.

Great little nest! Pretty eggies!

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Love the windchime and the picture of the eggs.

• donnainnc_2008
    16 years ago

love love love the windchime

donna in nc

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I just looped the beading wire through the handle and put on a few extra crimper beads. But if you want to be extra safe you can fill your wire with beads , loop handle, then string your wire back through the beads and put crimper beads at top.

patti

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Love your wind chime, I made some in a similar method of beading wire and crimping beads. I'll have to check out the tea light holders around here and see if I can find anything to use :)
    I don't know why those birds want to build nests right next to us, but I have the same problem on my front porch,lol.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor