Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Pics of front & back plate flower

toomuchglass
16 years ago

I got the flower part figured out - but I'm at a loss at how to make the leaves . I don't want to copy . Any suggestions ? -------- ANYWAY -------

I'm so happy Carol posted a pic of these - it got my creativity rolling ! The flower centers make them so different ! ( Remember - You can still get some - I have cases . I'm not making a penny on them - just sharing with my friends !) Here's a pic of the front on the pipe ( stem )

{{gwi:138850}}

You can see why it's my experiment - there's a chip on the left side .

Here's a pic of the back ....

{{gwi:138851}}

I did all my shopping at Menards ...

They have a 10' copper pipe for $9.88 ( half inch ) &

Copper pipe .. 5' is $5.68

The fittings are just a flat washer in the hardware dept.

The thing that bends is a 1/2" copper elbow ( plumbing dept)

The flange - is a copper fitting in the plumbing dept. called a "valve" . It fits under the flange to give you more surface space to silicone it on . I Can lay out a picture for you piece by piece if you are interested ...

But the "stem" would be less than $10 . The plates - Maybe $2.00 . I might even plant my garden this year with these - I kill REAL things !

I hope I helped ..... *waving at my pals!*

Comments (18)

• diana1952
    16 years ago

Hi Touch,

I have not posted my flowers yet. I'm new and have also done a few projects. A pot person, tipsy pots, and lots of flowers. I have a BB that I just painted black and will try that next. Anyway about the leaves. I used copper wire I got at Home depot. They will cut you as much as you want.
    I just wrapped it around with one long length and made two leaves w/tendrills. That way the copper stem and the leaves will turn green verde togehter over time. A touch of clear silicone glue to hold it in place.
    What was that about centers you have? Your flower is wonderful.
    Diana

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That flower is GORGEOUS. I can't wait to get my set of centers from you....check's in the mail, as they say. LOL.
    Thanks for your instructions. And your tip, Diana, on making leaves.

hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Yes please post a picture of the individual parts. I am having trouble finding the flange part. Yours is beautiful. I did some ts shopping yesterday... found plates to break but no pretty glass for flowers.

• daisyme
    16 years ago

Thanks for showing your beautiful flower and telling how you're doing them. Wow, that's so pretty!

Has everyone noticed how the plate flowers are developing each time we see them? They're getting prettier and prettier, and that's hard to believe!

Great job! Waving back! Daisy

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

JUST AWESOME, TooMuchGlass! Keep up the good work!
    Copper wire for leaves would look awesome, too, I think!
    I like the idea of maybe winding some of it around a dowel
    or something...to make curly tendrils. Jeanne S.

• woozyb
    16 years ago

I've been making the flowers also. For the leaves, I started out using copper wire, drilling a hole thru the copper pipe "stem" and soldering the joint, curling the wire for the leaves. Since copper's soooo expensive I've started using a green clothesline wire instead of the copper. It can't be soldered so I just drill thru the pipe and bend a couple of inches up wrapping with some 18ga copper wire to hold it in place before I curl the wire. I kinda like the green with the copper now.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought some green clothesline,too ! I knew there was a way to use it . Now my brain is a hummin' !!! Thanks !

• diana1952
    16 years ago

Touchofglass,
    How do I purchase some flower centers?

Diana

• donnainnc_2008
    16 years ago

hi all am a newbie here am in love with the plate flowers am collecting alot of plates and saucers. your's is beautiful thank you for sharing

• morninglori
    16 years ago

toomuchglass,
    love your glass flowers! Do you sell them and may I ask for how much? They really are unique and everyone loves them!! I am making them for a garden show in June, we had great success with them last year and hope for the same this year.

• christieb199
    16 years ago

Very Pretty!

• kirkus
    16 years ago

What beautiful flowers you are making!!!!!!! And great helpful hints! Since we posted about the dish flowers in the fall, we've collected a ton of dishes! Your hints and ideas are inspiring! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• halley_rose
    16 years ago

Toomuchglass,
    Would you mind posting the pictures please piece by piece? Thanks! halley_rose

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I just saw this post I guess I missed it the first time. Anyhow just wanted to say how beautiful your flower is!!! And great ideas too!!! What a beautiful Mothers Day present these would make!!!!!(-:

• caroleena
    15 years ago

what other substances could be used for the stem? people are stealing anything that even LOOKS like copper around here at an alarming rate!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried pvc pipe that could be mounted on top of rebar pushed into the ground or even just pushed into the grount itself? I remember someone using pvc and painting it to look like copper or you could paint it green.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Luna, I was just thinking I wanted to try PVC pipe and paint it green. Of course I still have to find the right plates, GW isn't being co-operative since I've been looking specifically for plate "flowers".

hugs, Karen

• donnainnc_2008
    15 years ago

I just use some metal piping that used to hold a canvas canopy up the wind tore it up and I saved all the metal pieces just cut them to the right height and paint green also to make leaves I thought about using aluminum cans and cut leaves and attach this way you are recycling and making something useful just a thought

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz