My latest birdfeeder

nmgirl
15 years ago

I made this for a friend's birthday.

{{gwi:139223}}

Comments (14)

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

It's GORGEOUS!! Why can I never find such elegant goodies to create with??? (could it be that I seldom go "shopping"?)
    I couldn't tell from the photo, but I'm guessing that the (upside down) bowl is filled with bird seed and it sifts down onto the plate -- via a scalloped rim on the bowl?
    I'd also be curious to know what brand/type of cement/glue you used. Again, it's a beautiful piece of work. cora

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Gosh, I just love how those pieces go together so beautifully. Your friend must be delighted! What is the top piece? It kind of looks like a glass, but the top of it isn't one at all. The whole feeder is just delightful!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Love it! I bet it will be very pretty in the sun. It almost looks like a lovely lady with a big hoop skirt.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

I just got a green divided plate like the one at the bottom. Now if I can find some other glass the same shade of green! Guess I could go with the clear--I have some glass drawer knobs like the one on the top.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Ditto, it's Gorgeous!!! I'm like you corar wish I could find some wonderful pieces like that. Thanks for sharing.

• vagardenlady
    15 years ago

As always nmgirl your projects are beautiful and inspiring.

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, now onto the questions.

Just for info.'s sake this feeder is made up of 6 pieces of glass, 5 that you can see in the photo and one inside that acts as a seed diverter. The main body of the feeder is made from a table lamp. Topping it is the another lamp piece-a base. Nonacook hit the thumb with the hammer, the very top piece is a glass drawer pull I pick up at the big box DIY. The tray is obviously a divided plate/relish tray and underneath it all is a very plain soup plate that holds the whole contraption off the ground.
    For cleanings sake, the feeder comes completely apart. It is not glued together. It is held together by a threaded rod that runs through the center and is secured by the wing nut on top. It's barely visible in the photo.
    The tray, soup plate and seed diverter are drilled for the rod. I also drilled extra holes in the seed tray for drainage. They're barely visible in the photo, they look like small white circles.
    The top piece (the lamp base) comes off and is used as a funnel to fill the feeder.
    I'll post a few photos from another feeder I made using the same techniques.
    {{gwi:130977}}

{{gwi:130982}}

This photo shows the seed diverter in place. I use small votive holders, they have the correct shape when you turn them upside down.
    {{gwi:130978}}

The finished feeder.

{{gwi:130981}}

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

nmgirl It is lovely!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Hey,cooooool!! I have quite a few of those divided glass plates. People give me glass all the time to make bird baths and totems with, I do believe I'll have to make some of these now! Thanks for sharing the how-tos and photos :)

• jlily
    15 years ago

What a georgous combination of pieces. Very well thought out to be very functional, too. A true work of art. Jlily

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Such a creative person you are. Can I just bring my glass to your house to be drilled??? What a lucky friend to get such a wonderful gift!!

• virakech
    15 years ago

oh, IIIIIEEeeeeee wanta do that now.

thanks for sharing.

• garianntx
    15 years ago

Just beautiful!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

WOW, nmgirl...you just amaze me with how you can visualize and put things together! Love this birdfeeder and thanks for sharing your instructions! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio