Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21904167

Some of my planters

User
13 years ago

I'll plant in anything that holds dirt. Here is a candle topper that I planted hen and chicks in.

Comments (20)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying again.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:139252}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another candle topper turned planter.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:139253}}

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

grannytoo, Those planters are so cute. I love them. - Marylee

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Grannytoo, those are soooo pretty!
    Those you gave me didn't last--sure wish
    I could grow them! I think we have too much
    humidity.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Very pretty - both the planters and the plants! Great way to repurpose those odd candletoppers. I've seen so many at TSs and could never think of something to do with them. Now I know!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

CUTE, granny!
    And for some of you newcomers on here...there's a link below to GJ Inspiration site (maintained by our Purplemoon here for us all)...here's one on "Flower Planters & Containers."

Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration Album Flower Planters & Containers

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

What a wonderful idea, and so pretty planted as you've done.

Jeanne, thanks for posting that link for newcomers here.
    We have so many different GJ inspiration albums, and over a 1000 photos in them...I hope the latest members enjoy all the eye-candy.

hugs, Karen

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks y'all. I love my hen and chicks and they just keep multiplying.

nonacook - How about I send you some more and you plant them in a cactus mix. Mine have survived 7.1 inches of rain this year and are growing like weeds. Some of them are over 4 inches across. They lived outside under all the snow this past winter. To survive at my house they have to be tough little buggers.

• Laney_Bug
    13 years ago

Oh granny be still my heart we have the same taste... if it has a opening I plant in it. I have started a succelent garden as well if you have any to share please let me know.

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

What a great idea!!
    And they look so cute!! They would make great garden space fillers!

• jlily
    13 years ago

Oh how cute!! Grannytoo love the hen and chickens. I am working with some of mine too. Hopefully I'll have a display for pictures, soon. Enjoy !! Jlily

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't had much luck growing anything but hen and chicks since we moved to our current home. I'm still gathering junk for my yard though. I have three old rusty barrel hoops, some bowling balls, some galvanized buckets, a vulture welded from old tools .... There's quite a list, now I just have to get busy and junk up my yard.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Thanks, grannytoo. Maybe you could just bring me some when I come to Indiana in September...
    Gotta get you to come see me some way-LOL

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That will work for me. Remind me again of the dats when it gets closer to time. You can email me through my page.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Those are great!! I have one similar to the first one except mine doesn't have holes on the side,DRATS.I don't dare ask dh to put some in it,he's like a bull in a china cabinet when it comes to things like that.The man has the patients of a flea,but i'll still keep him,he's good for a lot of other things.LOL,LOL
    Kathi

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Great idea, I've seen some really fun things super cheap so I'll have to try that.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Love the "chick" planters....the first one is especially pretty I think.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

They make great planters, I'm not sure what they are tho, do they have a hole all the way through or is part you have on the saucer solid. Did the candle sit on top? Not if there is hole big enough to fill with plants?? Guess if I've seen them I didn't know what they were. I have couple doz. candle holders & couple were for big 6 in. wide candle but no holes in them. ??? Got an empty 1 anybody so I can see what they look like! Jan in the dark!! LOL LOng day, went to plant peony GF gave me just as getting dark, watered the area well yesterday, bone dry today, well, neighbor's mock orange roots are all over the place(about a ft. down) so more work to cut them back! Jan

• quidam2
    12 years ago

Great idea!! They are just the right thing to show off hens and chicks!!

Jan--here is a link that might help you get an idea of what they are. I had to look them up myself because I really wasn't sure how they worked. They are probably at my TS but I didn't know what they were.

Sheri

Here is a link that might be useful: Jar Candle Shade

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jan they have a large hole in the bottom to fit down over one of those candles in jars. I lined the candle holder with a heavy plastic bag, then punched a couple of holes for drainage. After I filled it with dirt and trimmed the plastic bag you can't even see the plastic bag.

I'll be looking for more of them at yard sales this year.