Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Finished up another Glass Totem Birdfeeder

jeannespines
15 years ago

Found a beautiful plate today (actually one of those luncheon plates with the indentation for holding a cup) and it has worked out wonderfully for the final piece on this totem. The tiny bird is a resin one and I siliconed it into the cup holder place...all are thrift shop finds ... and this is a birthday gift I had started for a friend. Jeanne S.

2 vases $2.00

bottom ashtry $3.00 (a wonderful heavy piece)

luncheon plate $ .75 (a steal, I thought!)

resin bird ? (already had for a few yrs)

silicone II glue $5.00 (3rd totem with this same tube)

Close-up Luncheon Plate:

{{gwi:139272}}

Close-up heavy duty ashtray:

{{gwi:139274}}

Finished Totem Birdfeeder:

{{gwi:139275}}

Comments (27)

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Its a beauty Jeanne! What a great gift. I always wonder what to do with those cute plates with the cup holder. Now i know!
    kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

That cute little birdy looks like he was made just for that spot! Love the whole thing. The swirly design of the vases and the beautiful ashtray base. The plate and bird are like frosting on a very pretty glass cake! I'm sure your friend will be thrilled to get it (and if she's not, I'll come pick it up for myself!)! he-he

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

What a great idea! I'm going to be looking for those plates and birdies.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Its really lovely, Jeanne. I'd like to find a plate like that. What a wonderful b.d. gift, your friend is really going to be thrilled.

hugs, Karen

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Beautiful. Love the little added touch on the top.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Very nice! Love the little bird on the top! The plate was a perfect perch for him!

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is beatuiful Jeanne....

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Love this! Love the height, the color, the composition of the pieces put together & the little birdie in the nest. Your friend is very lucky to have you for a friend. Can I be your friend too?
    Vickie

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Another inspiring creation by Jeanne! That is beautiful! The plate on top was such a clever idea with the place for the bird! Wow! Thanks for sharing! You're one busy lady! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sanibelbreeze
    15 years ago

Love this...I am going to make one for the yard! congrats on your creation!!

• maggie4737
    15 years ago

Very pretty!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

LOve it!! Your friend will too! Great idea for doing something useful with those indent plates!! Jan

• cait1
    15 years ago

This is BEAUTIFUL!! Amazing how you were able to find all those different pieces and have the color match perfectly. That little bird is adorable.

And I appreciate the breakdown of the cost. I always wonder about that.

The silicone you use - does it have a cap so you can store it? They don't sell large tubes of clear silicone, just the cardboard tubes with the plastic nozzle that need that cumbersome gun thingy, so I usually buy small tubes that cost about 50 cents less than the big size. I feel like I'm wasting my money with those small tubes but I don't work fast enough to use the big ones.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the comments...I like how it turned out & think my friend will like it also and it was fun to "hunt" for the pcs.

Cait ... glad you wrote...I was going to write to you...knew you used Silicone for mosaicing...but I wondered which kind, etc. I did buy the 10.1 fl. oz. which needs that "cumbersome gun thingy"... and I wondered if that is what you mosaiced with...cause it is "awkward!" My tube is in a plastic-like coated container...GE Silcone II Sealant Clear ... can buy at Menards or Walmart...probably other hardware stores. And this is the 3rd totem with it & it does have a plastic cap...so far, so good for totems...but I may have to look for something smaller for mosaicing.

purplemoon...I can go back & see if the other green luncheon plates are still there...they were 75 cents & I think there were 4 of them...I could ship them to you. We could make a trade or something. Jeanne S.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

I saw a set of these same plates at a TS yesterday. Almost bought one, but was trying to not get carried away. Had an armload already. I might go back next week. They'll probably still be there.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    15 years ago

That is so beautiful. I love the green too. I'm in line to be your friend too!!! Great job. TFS.
    I use the GE Silicone and I left my totem out all winter and it held up great on the south side too.

• flower_fairy09
    15 years ago

Jeannespines....Awesome! I love it and am sure your friend will be thrilled !! Wish I had a good friend like you! lol
    I would love to try my hand at this. I think you have an amazing talent. WTG!!!Keep the pic's coming.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Really beautiful! Perfection! Your friend will treasure it! ~tenderlee

• daisymae_2007
    14 years ago

i want to find some of those indented plates and you said you found one at TS what is that?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

daisymae TS is thrift store.

• gersch
    14 years ago

These plates must be everywhere because I saw two of them today here in Northern Indiana at GW. They had one in gold and one in an avocado. I don't remember the price but they were cheap. I would also be willing to purchase and ship to whoever would like them - just let me know!

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Did you only use silicone glue to connect all those pieces?I have a lot of old stuff and could build something similiar, if I only knew how!!! Does it withstand the weather well? I LOVE the totems, and that one I think I could actually make with what I have, just not sure how to go about it!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Novice...Yep, I use "Silicone II Clear Window & Door" like the "experts" here on GJ advise...I've just made 3 of these...so don't know how they'll hold up...but my friend has her's outside (pictured above) since Spring & I just put mine out about a month ago...so far, so good! Will bring in to garden shed in winter. You can see some of my silicone glue...some GJers cover this with babbles or half marbles...but I liked the simplicity...so left as is.

Have fun ...go for it! Jeanne S.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeanne! I like simplicity too!!

• Dottie B.
    14 years ago

How nice! And how lucky you found pieces that match in color so well. That never happens for me, which is why I stick to clear glass...LOL. Beautiful!

So far my totem have held up three years outdoors and I leave them outside all winter. They usually need a good cleaning come spring time. I used Lexel for most of mine, but just recently switched to silicone because it dries faster....I like Lexel better because it's so clear, you can't even tell they are glued.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Glad this thread returned altho I thot I had posted to it. That is some beautiful glass Jeanne and a very nice composition. Lovely gift.

I've always used GE Silicone II and only had one totem out of 40+ come apart. I think it was because DH was moving them and it was made of very heavy glass. Because we live in a cold climate DH always moves my totems to the barn so they are under cover over winter.

Dottie, thanks for the tip about Lexel, I might try that. The only downside I've found with silicone is that it's not completely clear.

• hostahabitgg
    14 years ago

You reference using the GE Silicone II sealant -- I am new to making a totem and just came in from trying to bond the pieces together. Can you give me and idea of how much sealant you apply and how long it take to set up.

Do you know of any site I can view that gives detailed instructions?

Much appreciated.

ggmomo

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES