Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

This Is Where Some Silver Ware Went!

kudzukween
14 years ago

finished up these UFO's for the community yard sale Saturday. there's one more i didn't photograph because the crimp bead broke off with a fork...needs to be fixed :D i made 6 today.

{{gwi:139320}}

{{gwi:139321}}

{{gwi:139322}}

more photos on my blog! come visit me:D

kudzu

enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Comments (16)

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

Those are really pretty! I'll bet they chime nicely as well! Are these yours? TFS!

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

O those are so pretty! I love them!
    How did you make the little holes in the silverware?

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

My favorite is the 3rd 1 it is so delicate looking with that silver tray & way you decorated. Some lucky people will soon be enjoying them!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

VERY pretty Kudzu! What kind of "string" do you use for your beading?

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Beautiful ! Leave some spoons for me ! LOL

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ohh, thanks so much,ya'll!
    you'll need small drill bits and maybe get some titanium ones harbor freight has a package of all small ones about $1. then let your husband drill the holes. lolol......no, really, i'd been doing this all along myself but the other day i broke 2 bits......one of them before i even got it in the drill!!!!! so Hoss decided i'm not capable anymore...or i don't know HOW (as in HOW did i ever get along without his help)so he took over and drilled every last one of them. that's cool, at least i didn't have to do it. i kinda have this "cringe" waiting for a bit to break and fly out at my face anyway :D then i string them with beading wire, look for nylon coated it'll stay shiny, and buy the heavier crimping beads. i like to use glass beads but you can just use whatever you want. the forks...i cut the handles off for bracelets, and thought they'd still be great wind chimes....they sound very pretty. i use silicone to glue old porcelain flowers to the trays.. these are all going to the sale saturday.
    TMG...i promis, i will!! lol

• doodys
    14 years ago

what is that first one?is it a plate within a lid of some sort?

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

All very pretty! Lucky recipients who manage to snag these at the sale! Keep up the great projects!

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks ya'll :D
    doodys, that's a small saucer glued to a silver plate tray, i used silicone caulk to glue it.
    welllll...i only sold one :(
    kudzu

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

sooo pretty!
    I think you didn't sell many because a community yard sale isnt' the right forum. I know when I'm yard saling I'm looking for bargains or raw materials for my own crafts. Very different mindset from craft shows when I'm gift shopping (including for myself.) Still if I saw something that pretty at a yard sale I think I'd have to buy one!
    Kathy

• MiMi
    13 years ago

Kudzukween..

I always love what you make..I have made some windchimes out of old silverware with beading wire and crimping beads but mine always break.. What am I doing wrong?... maybe too small of wire? They break where the wire goes thru the holes in the handles of the silverware, like the edges are sharp and cutting the wire maybe? Gosh.. the holes are way too small to sand... I was afraid to use wire that very big, thought they wouldn't blow in the breeze. The ones that work the best for me, I used 20 lb fishing line and swivels..but am afraid over a little time the line will weather and get brittle..Guess I have said all of this just to ask what gauge of wire you use? or if you have any other suggestions for me.. I am using silverware that was my mother's and grandmother's so would really like for them to last.. Thanks.. Debbie

• TwoMonths
    13 years ago

also there was a show on hgtv yesterday that showed how to make bracelets, necklaces and chimes out of silverware...also a knife vase.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi ya'll.....thanks:D
    mine have lasted over a year, so i'm not real sure, but the main reason i chose it was for something longer lasting. use the heavier gauge, nylon coated wire. you may want to try a very thin chain. anything you use will eventually wear out. twomonths..i missed that. but i make all those, and ink pen handles..the same way i make the bud vase..very nice gift!

kudzu

• MiMi
    13 years ago

You know.. I should know that things won't last exposed to the elements..

Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought some 50lb test SpiderWire fishing line. It's braided and have used it before fishing and let me tell you.. if you get hung up, there is no breaking the line, you have to cut it. So thought I'd give that a try with the windchimes.

I tied it on like I do fishing lures then put a small dab of superglue on each knot.

The idea of small chain is a good one also, I might try that just for something different.

Debbie..

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Very nice. I especially love the first one. Do you have to use actual SILVER or does cheaper flatwear work as well? I read somewhere the sound with cheaper flatwear is duller. But does it still sound pretty?

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi..and thanks so much ya'll!
    i use old silver plate,not heirloom quality, just old ones, pitted or dented and banged up are perfect. the silver plate is easier to drill a hole in for me. the better quality stainless is way harder to cut or drill...at least with my very basic tools:D i imagine it would sound good; i just made a wind chime from old enameled spoons and it sounded great! very tinkly and soothing. you could probably wire up some spoons or forks, then attach a wire or fishing line to hang..and on my last one i used fishing line and sinkers as crimping beads.....hope that helps some:D
    kudzu

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals