Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More on Memorial Garden Etched Glass

Posted by Prestonsnana none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 21:39

OK, I have finished 2 of the 3 etched glass memorial pieces I am going to do. When I put them in the garden, it is still quite hard to read them. It seems I need to place them somewhere that has a solid background, but who has a solid background in a garden? They do look pretty, all sparkly in the garden with greenery peeking through, but aren't as readable as I'd like them to be.

Then again, I don't want the garden to scream "dead people" so the subtlety of them is sort of nice. I'll post a photo, but realize they ARE easier to read in person than in the pic. Any thoughts? Or ideas?

Image link: More on Memorial Garden Etched Glass (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More on Memorial Garden Etched Glass

I really like them just as they are....subtle and not "screaming dead people." (you are funny). What a beautiful memorial!

o

I think they're beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing about them.

o

A wonderful and thoughtful thing for you to do. Marylee

o

I don't know how this would work...maybe you could invest in a can of "transparent Glass enamel paint" ... try it on a scrap pc of glass ...some really light color (or light gray like the statue in the bkgrd)...just a thought...I Googled "transparent glass paint" & found this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transparent Glass Paint

o

I think that it's wonderful. I really appreciate the subtlety--the person approaching the garden will find a glimmer, and upon approaching it, will discover the secret of the garden. If they share the honored memory with you, then their hearts will be warmed--and if they don't, it will give them an opportunity to know/and or talk to you about the people who you hold dear.

Kate

o

I love them just the way they are too.

Maybe just changing the placement will give you a solid(er) background. For instance they show up good against the dark mulch. Maybe move them so you see less stuff behind them. (you know sometimes how you take a picture from a different angle because the background compeates too much with the subject)

I love this look. But if you want to try something different (if you have a scrap pc or I guess you could wipe it off) try the back of the glass painted black.

o

Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to place them around the garden as they are...and can always do something to the back of them later on if I decide I want to!

Thanks for the advice...and the compliments! I have to finish up one for my in-laws, too.

I have more glass squares and think I might make some sort of etched glass piece for my brothers and SIL's for Christmas this year...maybe XXX Family, established (date) with some pretty vines or something around them. Any other suggestions?

o

Oh that is absolutely beautiful! My family is looking for memorial ideas for our gardens this year. We lost my nephew in March while serving in Afghanistan. If you don't mind I may share this with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here