Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging Garden Globes

Posted by janetgia 5b IA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 21:59

Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever: hanging glass globes. These beautiful glass pieces started life as table and swag lamps from the 60's or 70's, which were thrift store finds. I took them apart, then simply put them back together in a way that allowed them to hang from the shepherd's hooks. The smaller ones I attached to actual threaded lamp rods and capped them, so I could poke them into the ground wherever they seemed "needed." The blue one is my all-time favorite... I still have it, along with a different (larger) amber one and the small staked ones. I also have two globes-in-waiting - a deep amber iridescent one and a smooth dark green one, for which I just need to scavenge some additional hardware. I wish I still had that cool old crate in the background, and the tin "chimney" off to the left... I did manage to save the pretty hosta from the flood in 2008, along with many others, and replant them at our new place on higher ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging Garden Globes

AWESOME!

o

They are beautiful works of art. Very clever hanging them from shepherds' hooks. The colors are great! TYFS Jlily

o

Those are really pretty! I just love glass and rust in the garden.

o

Beautiful rich colors! I love them.
Kathy

o

Gorgeous!I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea.

o

Beautiful.!!! Reminder to self. >Keep an eye open for globes when @ GW fashions: I have two shepards hooks that correct don't have anything hanging from them, but will as soon as I find me a couple glodes:

o

What did you use on the top for hanging...the metal part?

o

Wow! Ever so lovely!!!

o

You have quite the selection there...love them! Wish they were more accessible in my area...I love the look.

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:19

Found me two light globes this weekend at GW Fashions: They will soon be hanging from shepard hooks in the garden as soon as I figure out how to hang them. I think i'll cut a round circle from treaded wood to fit in the underside of the globe and then drill a small center hole to support a wire for hanging, I think that should work.

o

Beautiful! I think she used "hanging lamp" hardware for the hangers on top! Really "warms- up that little area with all the lovely glass colors!:" Jan

o

You may be able to use a large flat metal washer on the inside run a bolt through then another washer on top with a nut, connect some wire to the washer and nut assembly to hang it from. Maybe add some silicon caulk in there to cushion against the glass.

I have a huge one that was the center section of a tall table lamp, the lamp was ugly but the parts are pretty so I plan to use the deep garnet color glass section in a totem. I am liking the Shepard hook ideas though. very good looking.

o

Battery operated 10 string Christmas Lights would look great in these at night. Or you could use heavy tape and put in a small flashlight or tea light (battery)

o

Lovely use of coloured glass in the garden! :) You've inspired me with yet another idea! :)

o

Love your pretty, colorful corner! Old lamp parts are a great source of stuff for the junk garden aren't they.

I'm lovin' hoserhodo's idea of putting lights in them! I've found sometimes you can use a solar light inside if you can get the sensor to stick up through the hole enough to get sunlight to charge.

Great ideas, tfs :)

o

• Posted by jiju zone 4 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 22:53

So pretty. I saw a beautiful blue globe at a rummage sale last week. Didnt have enough cash with me.. Waahh! But i did get a cool old watering can!

o

Those are great! Gonna have to watch at the resale shop so I can try that!

o

LOVE THIS IDEA....I REMEMBER HAVING A LAMP THAT HAD A GLOBE LIKE THAT.....LOVE ALL YOUR CREATIVE IDEAS.

o

Beautiful! I wish I could find some like that around here!

o

So sorry it's taken me a bit to get back in here, but I really appreciate all the kind comments on my glass globes. Yes, I just used hanging lamp hardware on them from other thrifted lamps, but of course you can purchase that hardware new if you wish. Glad you like them!

o

These are amazing! Going to look for some of these. Great idea :)

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 14:49

I recently bought something similar for a friend; a glass globe that looked like a fisherman's float, with a solar light inside, and a windchime hanging underneath. Wonder what else you could hang underneath?

And what's GW Fashions???

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:16

GW...I was thinking GardenWeb, but maybe GoodWill?

o

probably Goodwill....and I think the idea is great....love the look

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here