Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chere_gw

2-liter bottle upside down tomato planter

chere
12 years ago

I thought some of you might want to try these. This isn't any good for me because the deer would just eat them like this. I need my tomatoes to go the other way to get out of the deer's reach

Chere

2-liter bottle upside down tomato planter

Here is a link that might be useful: 2-liter bottle upside down tomato planter

Comments (13)

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

I wouldn't think that there is enough soil volume to grow much.???

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Might not be enough soil for tomatoes, but would
    be a really nice look for smaller-rooted things
    like pansies or bacopa--the idea is pure genius.

• angie83
    12 years ago

Cherry tomatoes for sure and maybe herbs too . Ill have to try this looks really promissing I dont have alot of space here.
    Angie

• chere
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe a bigger container for tomatoes. I received Plow & Hearth today and they have a upside down planter that is made of a pot. While you are there check out the wooded American flag they are selling for $79.95. It is made of an old fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self Watering Bottoms Up Tomato Planter.

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

Great idea!! For us living on the road would be super..
    Everyone has room for a couple of shepard hooks!!

• gabrielledeveau
    12 years ago

Thanks so much gotta try this for cherry toms and perhaps so basil plants,great step by step instructions.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Cool! The patio style tomatoes are made for smaller pots, maybe they would work. Also I think you could fertilize more to make up for less roots.
    I like the idea of also cuttingholes in the sides kind of like a hanging home made strawberry pot. With flowers that would hide the bottle eventually. Painting the bottle is a good idea. Lots of possibiilities there.
    Thanks for showing.
    Kathy

• greasybeans
    12 years ago

Wouldn't the roots of the plant heat up? I would think they would fry in the hot summer sun.

• angie83
    12 years ago

So far so good here I did this with milk jugs same way and they seem to be doing super I have cherry tomatoes and peppers in other both are growing nicely ill post picks tomorrow but I did paint mine green .I drink very little coke so I had few 2 litter bottles but I had tons of milk jugs gallon size I used them in same way.Seems to work well and its very hot here already in 90s.
    Angie

• apartmentfarmer
    12 years ago

I decided to finally try growing toms upside down this year. I decided to go with the home made bottle but I don't drink soda much so instead it is in a 1.5L water bottle. I hope it works out!

So far so good - there are some kind of cherry tomatoes growing in there and hopefully it might even be tiny tims...has anyone tried to grow those upside down?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to see my Tiny Tims and homemade upside down bottle planter

• angie83
    12 years ago

Here is mine too I used milk jugs 1 gallon they have tiny tomatoes already they are easy to care for no army worms is nice.
    Angie
    {{gwi:16796}}

• angie83
    12 years ago

Update on these planters need to find a better way to hang them after months of heat the tie wraps have worked throw and some are hanging by a thread but i must say all grew super well peppers best here are some pic
    {{gwi:139461}}
    {{gwi:139462}}
    {{gwi:139463}}
    {{gwi:139464}}
    {{gwi:139465}}

Dont think ill do the 4 jugs again ill just do the pail upside down pots nexted year they sure gave me tons of bell peppers and japinos and way more cherry tomatoes then i know what to do with for less space great and the upside down shades the plant from our very hot texas sun hehehehe I did water ever other day and very little fert .All my dill died and im starting new batch. Angie

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Great ideas, I do think the 2-liter is better for small plants. If the container is too small the tomato plant doesn't grow much.

Chere - no matter if you plant it upside down, it will always grow upward to the sun.

Angie - Your container garden successes amaze me every time I see them. What a great bonus that the container shades the plant. Besides limiting bugs, it might also keep animals off them too since it's too high for rabbits, squirrels and raccoons can't sit there long without falling off.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company