Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs77_gw

my first totem

babs77
15 years ago

Yup, like many of you said this can get very addicting. I'm already planning my next few. Posted these at Kitchen Table a few days ago and thought I'd post here as well.

My first one. the large translucent piece looks awesome when the sun hits it just right:

{{gwi:139476}}

My second one (part of third one in background):

{{gwi:139477}}

Comments (14)

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Babs,
    Those are wonderful!!! I'm looking at the 2nd one, thinking how cool it would have been if you'd nail polished the light fixture first!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Addictive as heck aren't they? totems should come with a warning on them. LOL

Karen

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Very pretty and yes very addictive!! Keep the pictures comming we want to see them all!

• imjustsam
    15 years ago

What is this nail polish technique? I have not heard of that. Please explain Kelly oh.

• donnainnc_2008
    15 years ago

beautiful I really like the 1st one but then I am partial to crystal. I like the tip about the nail polish will have to try that

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

imjustsam,
    it is very simple, really. see the round light fixture on the top of the second totem? any type of round glass "junk" will work - as long as they are clear, though I have not tried making one with the smoked glass. You just pick 2-3 colors of nail polish - I buy clearance stuff or any interesting colors at yard sales - and pretty much just dump the polish inside the ball. Then swirl the polish around until all the inside of the glass is covered. Tip out any excess and let it dry. They stink to high heaven, but I always leave mine outside to air out for a couple days.
    If the link works, I just took some picts of ones I recently made. The light wasn't wonderful, so you can't see how sparkly the paints are, but they are gorgeous in the sun!! Oh yeah, I don't use the cream polish much, but on the turquoisey colored one I did, mixed with a green that had a lot of glitter in it. It turned out really nice. Ok, I have to amend that - my 7 year old daughter actually made it!! If you can, I recommend having a couple bottles of each color, just in case its needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: my junk

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

ok, oops!!! my link went to another garden junk page, sorry!!! Try this one instead!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: my junk

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Those are super nice totems, very pretty. I love the clear glass one the best and blue's my favorite color. It just looks so delicate and attractive. Is the glass irredescrent and that's how you got all that sparkle? I've yet to make a totem like this, thanks for the inspiration.

Sal

• mjowest
    15 years ago

I love glass globe totems!

You did a great job!

• babs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelly, I love the idea about the nail polish. I may need to take that one apart and re-do it! LOL!
    Crafty Lady, yes that one piece on the clear crystal one is iridescent; it looks awesome when the sun hits it just right. I'm on the lookout for more pieces like that!
    Glad tomorrow is the weekend so I can go do some more glass hunting!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

beautiful!!!!

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

These are awesome. I'm new here so I'm just getting started. I've been going nuts at the thrift stores and garage sales the last few days. Hope to have a few items to show you by the end of next week.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Welcome Laura. We love to see what folks find to buy or make, we're not only GJ junkies... we are photo junkies!

Karen

• mssunflower
    15 years ago

WOW!!!! Those are BEEEEEAUUUUTIIIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Faith