Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

The fence is finally finished!

lindasewandsew
12 years ago

This is the old chain link fence around my back yard slope. Pretty ugly.

{{gwi:139739}}

Here's the new fence, 4 years later. I drug tons of boards home from the curb, sanded, patched, cut out shapes, primed and painted them. We hung 2x4s across the chain link and my nephew did a great job hanging them onto the 2x4s.

{{gwi:139740}}

A nearby recycle place saves blue bottles for (lucky)me. The little scooter (doesn't run) up towards the left cost $4 at a thrift store. It's obvious that there's a lot of work left to do, but it's coming along. Linda

Comments (27)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

This is SURREAL, sew&sew!!!
    OMgosh, YOU DID IT!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

Your "blues" projects have been an inspiration in the past ...but now...
    OMgosh, how in the world did you collect so many "watering cans!!"
    And I still am LOVIN' the recycled fence & the "cut-outs!"

COLOR! Lots of color! Sunny & bright in CA! Love it all! TFS! Jeanne S.

• jlily
    12 years ago

What a sight!! My goodness how you have worked to get it all organized. I've never seen so many watering cans. Thank you for sharing with us. NOW take a big bow! Jlily

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much. It's great to have a finished fence. The yard changed instantly! My nephew built some concrete steps up the right side, but they're hard to see in the photo. There's now a path cut out near the bottom to the right and another up where the white bed frame/future fence is sitting.

I drag the watering cans home from wherever they turn up, as long as they're cheap or free. When I decided to hang them on hooks on the fence, they were all over the yard. Think I got just about all of them and picked up 2 more free ones last week.

The stairs at the bottom were another curb find, and are a new work in progress. I'll post photos when finished. Hopefully they won't take as long as the fence! Linda

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

What an awesome fence. And it's made up of curb finds? Amazing!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful!
    Your Amazing hard work really paid off!

I don't know anything about gardening in SoCal, but I'm wondering if the solid fence will create some new microclimates to grow things that don't like to be out in the open.

Kathy

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

When you've time to take a break, please take some more pics closer up of some of these garden vignettes! I know we've seen some before...& I can see lots of Shepherd Hooks spread over this area ... I see the "paths" now!

How big is your yard? I know the 1st pic is from the roof of your house...assuming the 2nd is also! Congrats on all your hard work & great recycling & also how you use paint! Jeanne S.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Wonderful re-do....and the watering cans look terrific....more pics please!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

What an amazing transformation!! GREAT JOB! Your fence looks great and all of your watering cans, blue bottles, etc. really make it look wonderful! You should be very proud!

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Love the fence, the watering cans and the bottles!!!!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow! Love this! Great job and there's plenty of space left for more creations.

You'll be giving tours soon. The photo is a great perspective too.

Nice work!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Hi Linda! So Good to See You again! I was just thinking about you the other day and was wondering how you were making out with your sloped landscaping! So far it has taken 130(free) tires, filled with the dirt from where my pond was dug out, to get a sloped path(Yes! I can get a wheel barrow down there now!) and have a retaining wall planned (on a "landing" that I am gonna build a "Girl Cave"(Pergola enclosed with scrap windows)..eventually), and some raised beds along one side of the fence/slope. So was wondering about how your planting inventions/beds!lol! What a fence you have! I just have wire fencing (cattle) and have started to plant vines and shrubs along it to eventually hide it. I do plan on having my Gnome Garden down there(have the bed dug up, just need to get down there and plant!)I am planning on another bottle tree too, this next one, I was thinking of being green bottles...and maybe a baby bottle tree with all the little cobalt blue bottles I have....I do like your bottle set up tho, so may copy you! I have been busy planting hundreds of plants down there, and since they are all babies, it doesn't look like I have done anything!!! So I better get some more garden junk down there!!!ha!

• TwoMonths
    12 years ago

That looks great Linda. I was gona say you should collect watering cans. Next you should collect old hose nozles and old water sprinklers.. Lots of hard work there and it is just wonderful to look at.

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

From the birdseye view, it looks like you have a lot of interesting nooks and corners in your yard!!! I second the suggestion to take close-up of some of your yard. Would love to see it. What a lot of hard work, but it does look beautiful. The fence looks wonderful for being curb finds!!! That is really recycling and repurposing!!! Thanks for letting see. Hopefully you will post more pics.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Yowza! What a transformation! It looks like it will be a lot of fun once you have it done. I'm with jeannespines ... I'd love to see more close-up pics! And that is one big bird high rise there too!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Looks great! All that privacy & not feeling like you are watching neighbors backyard every time you go out in your own. Love the watering cans, just thinking you need a longer slide & you could join them together, pour on some water & slid down the hill in cool comfort- oh, guess you would have little problem at the bottom(I remember you took the pool out). I like that curved wrought iron fence piece on the right-is that a flat area? Really had great "vision" & it all came true!! Congrats! Jan

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Simply breathtaking !!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, the close-ups are GREAT!
    Also, very smart of you in regard to how you are hanging everything on your fence...I see now the hooks are actually hooked to the chainlink...that you left enough spacing between the boards! Great thinking!

BLUE BOTTLE HEAVEN! Jeanne S.

• garden2garden
    12 years ago

I know warm weather has arrived. The forum is moving so fast I had to go halfway down page 2 to find this again. I just coudn't let it slip by without telling you what an awesome job you have done!

I remember when you posted the first picture and then when you got the back fence done. Now you've done the sides too! And you have all kinds of fun stuff out there! I'm glad I found it again I didn't see the closeups the 1st time! Love all the colors and the succulents. That is alot of work and it looks fantastic. Nope, I have never seen that many watering cans in one place either. You have created a really fun space. TFS your progress.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Now it's time to move a bunch of junk out of piles and make it look like interesting junk on the slope.

Some of the bladder pod seeds started, so they'll be planted up there soon, along with a lot of succulents.

The wrought iron piece was given to me by a friend. It was left at at her house by the former owners. It was a little rusty so we cleaned and painted it with rust cap paint, which only comes in a couple of colors. We got the blue color by using blue spray paint lightly on the bronze color rust cap before it dried.

That old slide looked bigger on the ground. I'll try to put it one the hill somewhere and have a little fun with it. Linda

• chelcass
    12 years ago

I love your backyard. What a ball it must be to do. Pray tell where did you find all those cobalt blue bottles???? They are like hen's teeth here.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, A nearby recycle place saves blue bottles for (lucky) me. The owners are always happy to see photos of where they end up. I also pick them up when I find them cheap at all the usual places.

Here are some tiny blue bottles a friend gave me. Linda

{{gwi:139749}}

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

So I got an update photo, Boy, I don't have the Bling on my slope that you do....sorta "Plain Jane!"lol!
    Before and After:

{{gwi:139750}}

{{gwi:139751}}

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Calamity, That's really coming along!! It's looking very nice. You may not have loads of bling (yet), but you have lots of space to play with and slopes are so interesting to junk up. My yard is pretty small. Linda

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Calamity, your yard is work in progress just like Linda's, that's what gardening is, trying this & that & redoing, that is what makes it fun & interesting. I think Jeanne said she had redone a number of areas in her yard too. Calamity, your open house showed how much progress you have accomplished. It would take me years to mosaic anything as I wouldn't be able to decide on colors,hands would get sore cutting tile, plates or glass. Some of you GJ folks are amazing!! Jan

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Bumping this one up. I really like lindasewandsew's decorated fence.

Lots of pretties and blue glass in this thread.

I'm in planning stage for a decorative fence and have been looking for the one done by someone on this forum years ago. She inserted marbles in drilled holes and cut cute shapes. It was really cute.

• nonacook
    6 years ago

Don't you just hate that the photos are all gone? That is why I never put anything on line--I knew this would happen one day.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz